Breaking Bad - Season 5 part 2

Chilly McFreeze

i guess the slow burn of it is what does put people off, some people's idea of TV is CSI type shows where everything's done and dusted in 40 minutes, there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a different kind of show, but the reward is far less rewarding than watching something like Breaking Bad.

Eh, it's a bit different with BB I think. I enjoy slow burn television (barely watch procedurals these days), I think season 4 is fantastic and I know that annoyed a lot of people as the first half is very slow and reflective.

I think the first season can be somewhat dry and because it's focus is very narrow and they'd yet to really get to the depth of the characters (don't get me wrong, watching Walt as a good guy has it's moments - the stuff in the basement debating whether or not to kill the guy is done really well). Compared to shows like The Wire where the pace is slow but you're slowly getting to grips with this expansive and complex world or later BB where the characters are so rich and their relationships complex that Walt and Skyler simply talking can be 'edge of your seat' stuff.

I'm not trying to be too critical of the show, as I said before the early stuff is clearly quality in terms of acting, direction and so on but I think it took them a little time to get a hold on the overall writing which is now superb. Hence explaining to Daz that it's worth sticking around (and as I said, I know of several friends and at least one professional critic who had the same issue - and they all predominantly like 'slow' dramas)

EDIT: Previous post written whilst I was writing mine. It certainly is a persistent slow burner but as I said later the slowness is about exploring something that's fascinating whereas the earlier slowness is somewhat dryer. If you didn't like the way The Wire had episodes 'with nothing happening' then BB may not be your cup of tea as I'd consider the Wire a show where almost every scene meant something regardless of it being a simple conversation or shocking death. BB is closer to The Wire than The Shield

Edited by organizedkaos

• Paid Members

D-d-d-dAz if you stick around in this thread much longer it won't be worth watching, one of the best things about it is that it's full of surprises, it's just not something to go into knowing in advance what's going to be happening, give it til the end of season 2 if you really want to try it then give up if it's not for you.

The Shield is my favourite TV show of all time too if that helps.

I watched the first season, and though I enjoyed it, the focus on Walt's cancer and general tone was so bleak from most other things I had seen up to that point, it took me ages to get myself ready to continue with it, perhaps even a full year. I'm so, so glad I did. Not only is it superb in terms of characterisation and story, but it's a treat visually to watch. One of the cooking scenes from the last season was absolutely gorgeous (a small section that really does it no justice but oh well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJkOADZrHlI). I'm really looking forward to re-watching it with all the seasons on Netflix.

Edited by dharmabear

Highly recommend the Breaking Bad Insider podcast for anyone who can't get enough. Vince Gilligan and members of the crew and cast recapping each episode. Great to get you through the breaks between seasons. You'll have to switch iTunes to the US store to get them, but they're all free so it's no problem.

Absolutely love the show. Walter is just the best character I've ever seen, Cranston is the man.

• 2 weeks later...

I literally just caught fully up to date. I was overly sucked in to begin with because I just didn't like any character bar Jesse, they all just act like total twats. But it really drew me in from season 2 and I'm jonesing to see what happens. When does it startup again and is season 5 the final season?

• Paid Members
I literally just caught fully up to date. I was overly sucked in to begin with because I just didn't like any character bar Jesse, they all just act like total twats. But it really drew me in from season 2 and I'm jonesing to see what happens. When does it startup again and is season 5 the final season?

July 2013 as far as I know.

I'm more interested in when it'll be on Netflix. Does anyone know how they did it for the first half of Season 5? Was it at Us pace, or was it all dumped on there after episode 8?

Season 5 is definitely the final Season.

• Paid Members
Netflix always adds all the episode in one go, after the season has finished airing.

Shit. That's what I feared.

Anyway, here's a pretty cool article on the use of colour in Breaking Bad.

http://www.erinenberg.com/1/post/2012/09/t...eaking-bad.html

Really enjoy reading this stuff, it leads to all sorts of cool theories whilst we wait for the finale. Marie wearing Yellow at the end of Ep 8 really stuck out to me for some reason, even if there's no significance to it.

Another ridiculous but cool theory I read was if you take the names of Walter (White), Jesse (Pink)man and Hank (who always wears Orange,) it's possible to envisage a Reservoir Dogs ending. Mr Pink (Jesse) runs off with the money, whilst Mr White (Walt) cradles a dying Mr Orange (Hank,) points a gun to his head, we hear police bust in, gunshots fire and cut to black before we know who was shot.

Obviously not going to happen, but a nice theory none the less.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a fan made playlist which is pretty good and really brings the feel of the ABQ to your ears when you're not watching the show. Just search Breaking bad soundtrack, I'll post the name of it when I'm on my computer.

Soundtrack note - That Norah Jones song that closed season 4 was perfect. It complimented the feeling of the closing moments so well.