Breaking Bad - Season 5 part 2

Chilly McFreeze

I watched the last episode of Breaking Bad before El Camino as a refresher. The sheer unwillingness to show any remorse or shame in any of his actions makes Walter White one of the greatest written characters of all time for me. His ascent up the criminal chain is clearly his proudest achievment. It's a brilliant and brave decision to a show based around such a character, even a sociopath like Tony Soprano showed more humanity than Walter does in the end.

Looking forward to a Northern Exposure style spin off once BCS has finished up.

• Paid Members
On 10/12/2019 at 4:27 PM, SuperBacon said:

I loved El Camino. Agreed that it probably wasn’t needed, but what it was, was great and breezed past.

This. Just give me anything from Vince Gilligan related to Breaking Bad and I'll gobble it up.

• Paid Members

I did find myself on YouTube halfway through El Camino looking up BB series 5 clips to answer that question whirring in my head: 'Todd wasn't that big, was he??'

Still, nice to see him scoring for fun at Red Bull Salzburg these days. 

• Moderators

I was... not exactly sceptical when it was announced, because it's still Vince Gilligan and all, but I loved the series' ending so much, I didn't see a need for it. It was great though. What a joy to be back in that world with those characters, and what a year for movie-epilogues-to-great-shows, with Deadwood too, which was beautiful and flawless. Now we just need Netflix to tie up all the loose ends with a Keeping Up Appearances film.

Wasn't sure what to expect, and I'm gone between 'oh my god I'm so excited for this' and 'fuck that shit it's not needed' ever since it was announced.

In all honesty, I think that pretty much describes how I feel now I've watched it too.

I did enjoy it. I really did. I thought the performances were top notch. The music and visuals and editing were incredible and really blow a lot of productions out of the water. There is nothing comparable to the tension they are able to create in this world.

However, was it needed? Probably not. Certainly didn't harm the show's legacy and it made me smile as a fan, which I imagine was the whole point. It felt more like a thank you reward for support than anything.