Breaking Bad - Season 5 part 2

Chilly McFreeze

• Paid Members
BB walks a fine line between this very calculated somewhat realistic drama and then having these crazy sequences/twists that just blow you away. Too much focus on 'moments' often leads to TV shows with little substance between said moments.

One of the things I love about the show is the slow burn of it, I was watching season 4 every week with a mate and for the first few episodes I was riveted while he constantly complained there wasn't enough going on compared to the previous series, he was obviously wrong and in the last few episodes it came together and everything built up to absolute blistering edge of your seat tension.

Love it, selfishly I'm upset it will end after a few more episodes as I want to watch it forever but I really think it's the best thing for it, Walt and Jesse can only cheat death and evade the authorities for so long and I'd hate to see it go on too long and become unrealistic.

I really like the way they decided to have Walt's worse moment followed shortly by his getting out and everything appearing to be back to normal (until Hank finds the book). They confirmed certain things we'd suspected about his character, that it was very much about the thrills of 'beating' people and taking business from others, and that once he was at the top he didn't care so much. This all linked into his grudge against Grey Matter, feelings of having 'lost out' in life and his general arrogance about trying to prove he's smarter/better than everyone else. He had nothing to prove anymore, just an increasing amount of money which they couldn't even do anything with.

Whether he would have stayed out if Hank hadn't found the book is another matter, we've seen Walt's ability to switch between his family man and Heisenberg personas (and lately Skyler's ability to 'fake it') so we really don't know his mindset nor the actual status of his familial relationships in that final scene (I also believe they deliberately made that scene seem a little more idyllic than would be normal as to up tension, us television watchers knew something was to come and so the longer it seemed happy and normal the worse things got for us).

I wonder if he even knows what he wants, fear of losing something clearly makes up a big part of Walt's motivations (how often he'll go for things when others have told him he's out). Towards the end of season 5 he obviously feared losing his family but if he really does have them back and a mass of money what else would motivate him? Or would he return to his more benign/directionless state at the start of season one.

Obviously now Hank finding out is the catalyst for the show's endgame and i'm fascinated to see how it all plays out, especially as BB has a knack for veering the plot off in interesting (yet natural) directions. I think many of us expected Walt to fully 'break bad' and Hank catch him as the head of an empire - that his end would be an inevitability, he'd gone too far to come back. Yet by the point Hank found out I was almost rooting for Walt again, which hasn't really been the case in season 5.

Edited by organizedkaos

So, I am struggling to get through season 1. It's a bit plodding.

I mean, the acting is fantastic but there isn't much dragging me back in.

I know you're going to say its worth sticking with, but I'd like someone to tell me why it's worth sticking with. People only ever say that it's great, but its got to the point where that view point is so universally accepted that no one feels the need to justify it.

I want to know if I'm actually going to be rewarded for sticking with it.

• Paid Members

I know you're going to say its worth sticking with, but I'd like someone to tell me why it's worth sticking with. People only ever say that it's great, but its got to the point where that view point is so universally accepted that no one feels the need to justify it.

Great writing, great acting, perfectly paced, huge spectacular set pieces, fascinating character development, completely original, incredibly funny, beautifully shot, phenomenal soundtrack, impossible to predict, sad, tragic, tense, suspenseful. I could go on.

If you're not into after 1 season, I'd say maybe it's not for you. I was hooked from episode 1.

Yes. I love the show but found the first 8-9 episodes hard going. As you said, the acting is fantastic along with the direction and visual style - I didn't understand why I wasn't connecting with it. There are great moments in the first season (and the pilot is very strong) but I think it does feel rather slow and the plot feels limited. I enjoyed the episodes but never wanted to see what happened next.

Then about 5-6 episodes into season 2 it all changed. They start to open the world up doing interesting individual stories along with the grander plot rather than it being purely the ongoing fuckups of Jesse and Walt. They adding a few more well drawn characters (Saul!) and I started to click with the existing characters more (I think the first episode I noticed this is the ATM one which is one of the earlier ones to tell it's own story and really humanise Jesse - who is pretty much the heart of the show).

I really enjoyed the bulk of season 2 and season 3 and 4 have a fantastic ongoing plot with a really well done antagonist (I never cared much for Tuco, was glad that plot ended early). So yes, I'd stick with it - I shared your opinion at one point and now love the show, if you still don't care by the end of season 2 then maybe it's not for you.

Edited by organizedkaos

• Paid Members

i guess the slow burn of it is what does put people off, some people's idea of TV is CSI type shows where everything's done and dusted in 40 minutes, there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a different kind of show, but the reward is far less rewarding than watching something like Breaking Bad.

I bought my brother the 1-4 box set for Christmas, as I knew that'd mean he'd have to give it a go at least (I kept telling him to download it, but the little bugger wouldn't).

Whilst he did enjoy season 1 (whether he was just saying that to be nice or not...), he's now hooked, and has flown through season 2 in the last week.

So yeah, on that evidence, stick with it.

I'm sort of inbetween the two camps in terms of TV dramas.

I mean CSI can eat a dick, but in terms of the other camp and the love for The Wire I'm not really there either. I mean, The Wire was ace, and Dominic West was fantastic, but best show ever? Fuck off. Some episodes would literally pass by without anything having happen and whilst you'd be rewarded in the long run, as someone with precious little free time, watching an hour of time being passed by till the next episode was a real pain.

The Shield is my favourite TV show ever, probably followed by 24, The Sopranos and Fringe. The all have the season long, character driven narratives but there's also mini-rewards for spending an hour of your life watching the show.

I guess that's more my question, is Breaking Bad a persistent slow burner or does it pack a punch, too?

Edited by d-d-d-dAz