Breaking Bad - Season 5 part 2

Chilly McFreeze

• Paid Members

So, Breaking Bad.

Just finished episode 8 of season 5, and now I'm catched up, I figure it's time Breaking Bad gets its own thread.

So talk about it here, favorite moments, speculation on the season 5 finale, whatever.

Obviously, there will be spoilers in this thread. So if you haven't watched it all yet, go do it and come back here to talk about it.

breaking-bad-season-finale.jpg

'You got me'

One question I have, does anyone know how soon the episodes for season 5 get on netflix after they are broadcast in the US? Will I have to wait even longer to watch the final 8 episodes?

Also, I would highly recommend the episode reviews posted on Den Of Geek here: http://www.denofgeek.com/tags/breaking-bad. They are some of the best episode reviews of any TV series I have read, and provide excellent insight to such a wonderful program.

Edited by Chilly McFreeze

• Paid Members

Breaking Bad is the best, I haven't enjoyed a series so much since The Shield.

Wretch is right about that scene, fucking hell, it was brilliant.

Warning extreme spoilers!

What do you guys think about Walt killing Mike? Everyone I know who watches it hated it but I thought it was ok, Mike only really cared about covering his own arse, he and Walt weren't friends.

Also the transformation of Walt and the show itself is fascinating, in the first series it was pretty much a drama and Walt was a tragic hero doing what's best for his family, now He's a nutcase, millionaire, murderer, drug lord and the show is a tense thriller where his cancer is barely mentioned, it could be called jumping the shark but it stayed brilliantly written and high quality the whole way through so it just feels like an amazing journey by a normal man into some crazy shit that changed him forever.

Do you think Walt will live past the last episode?

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

• Paid Members
Breaking Bad is the best, I haven't enjoyed a series so much since The Shield.

Wretch is right about that scene, fucking hell, it was brilliant.

Warning extreme spoilers!

What do you guys think about Walt killing Mike? Everyone I know who watches it hated it but I thought it was ok, Mike only really cared about covering his own arse, he and Walt weren't friends.

I suppose Mike deserved a more spectacular death (a la 'Face Off') but his final line more than made up for it. I adore Mike, but there was no way he was going to make it past the mid season break. I just always imagined Walt being more calculating when deciding to kill him.

Also the transformation of Walt and the show itself is fascinating, in the first series it was pretty much a drama and Walt was a tragic hero doing what's best for his family, now He's a nutcase, millionaire, murderer, drug lord and the show is a tense thriller where his cancer is barely mentioned, it could be called jumping the shark but it stayed brilliantly written and high quality the whole way through so it just feels like an amazing journey by a normal man into some crazy shit that changed him forever.

The transition is wonderfully done, and is in no way jumping the shark. To turn the protagonist into the most terrifying bad guy in the whole show is genius. I still can't quite pinpoint when Walt finally Broke Bad for good. I definitely think the end of 'Craw Space' was his final decent into madness.

Do you think Walt will live past the last episode?

Nope. The cancer will get him. It has to end that way.

• Paid Members
I somehow wound up watching all of Season 2 of this and really liked it so actually downloaded Season 1 last night to start from the beginning.

Steer well clear of this thread. It will ruin it for you. The less you know about what's coming, the better it will be for you.

I suppose Mike deserved a more spectacular death (a la 'Face Off') but his final line more than made up for it. I adore Mike, but there was no way he was going to make it past the mid season break. I just always imagined Walt being more calculating when deciding to kill him.

I'm kinda glad they didn't do some epic spectacular death for Mike. BB walks a fine line between this very calculated somewhat realistic drama and then having these crazy sequences/twists that just blow you away. Too much focus on 'moments' often leads to TV shows with little substance between said moments. Mike's death was perfect to show how pathetic and arrogant Walt had become, this awesome badass character (and I think they did well with his relationship with his granddaughter humanising him) dies just because Walt got angry he didn't give him respect. It was senseless and unnecessary and yet another step in Walter White's breaking bad.

It's similar to (Wire season 5 spoiler)

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Omar's death

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

where it might have annoyed some fans but worked perfectly with the story and ideas the show was trying to tell.

Edited by organizedkaos

• Paid Members

i posted here somewhere else that a friend of mine watched 2 episodes of season 1 and gave up saying 'it just isn't funny', he aint the kind of the person to watch much TV but it was such a throwaway, ignorant comment i got angry at him. I tried to explain how much he's missing out but he just wasn't having any of it, some people :angry:

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members
i posted here somewhere else that a friend of mine watched 2 episodes of season 1 and gave up saying 'it just isn't funny', he aint the kind of the person to watch much TV but it was such a throwaway, ignorant comment i got angry at him. I tried to explain how much he's missing out but he just wasn't having any of it, some people :angry:

I have a flatmate like that and it winds me up to no extent. He refuses to watch The Terminator because Arnold Schwarzenegger "can't act", he walked out on Back To The Future just as they were about to actually go through time because "nothing is happening", and when I finally convinced him to watch Spirited Away the other night, he sat on his phone during the first half hour and then fell asleep for the majority of it, woke up and left.

He's the same with music too. If he hears it and doesn't immediately recognise it or it sounds like it was made before he was born (pre-1993) he'll dismiss it as "gay" or "shit". He's said this about Talking Heads, Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip, anything acoustic I listen to (Mara Carlyle, Willy Mason, Alela Diane) which he says are "depressing". His favourite band is Take That. :angry:

• Paid Members

I'm kinda glad they didn't do some epic spectacular death for Mike. BB walks a fine line between this very calculated somewhat realistic drama and then having these crazy sequences/twists that just blow you away. Too much focus on 'moments' often leads to TV shows with little substance between said moments. Mike's death was perfect to show how pathetic and arrogant Walt had become, this awesome badass character (and I think they did well with his relationship with his granddaughter humanising him) dies just because Walt got angry he didn't give him respect. It was senseless and unnecessary and yet another step in Walter White's breaking bad.

It's similar to (Wire season 5 spoiler)

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Omar's death

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

where it might have annoyed some fans but worked perfectly with the story and ideas the show was trying to tell.

Yeah, i agree with you there. It's a nice comparison with The Wire too.

Does anyone truly believe that Walter is 'out,' at the end of Episode 8? The 3 month sequence of him cooking and the Czech operation running suggests he soon got fed up when things worked smoothly. Did he get bored? Maybe seeing that huge pile of cash that was so big it couldn't even be laundered really brought it home to him.

I thought the extraordinary and horrifying '10 guys in 2 minutes' sequence was the point of no return for him. I just can't believe after all the work they did to get him to the point of no return, he reined it back in and became the family man again so easily. Or was that just a writing device to make the timing of Hank's penny drop that much more ironic?

And how about the opening to Season 5 Episode 1? What are the implications there? Presumably the cancer is back, and he's just turned 52, which gives us 9 months between Hank's epiphany dump, and Walt going postal with a fuck off machine gun.

• Paid Members

I'm sure some of you will have seen this...

WSTvu.jpg

Really, really cannot wait for this to start up again. Contender for greatest show of all time? I think so.

Edited by Wretch