10 years ago... Notorious 'BritWres' incident

Big Benny HG

• Paid Members
And what happened to Farrers acting career?

He lives in America and is a professional poker player if stories are to be believed. I think he's pretty loaded. There was a rumour he won the lottery but actually didn't from what I remember. The rumour he won the lottery was around the same time he was doing FWA shows as a manager in 2003.

A few things Benny didn't bring up in the article, which I remember at the time (again this is wrestling, so believe what you want because this information might not even be true, but this was the popular belief from people close to it at the time), Steve Lynskey was only paid

i went to this "show" like a bloody idiot i agreed to drive my two mates from Rotherham on the premise that at last i woudl get to see some wrestling so didnt mind staying sober.

Saw trent acid in KFC beforehand while we had a bargain bucket each (if you saw us at that time you would understand)

I remember Jody coming out on the stage offering to take Trent on in a match with no ring - didnt buy that one as figured that if one match took place then no refunds would be due so got money and headed to the pub across road.

yay for me i got to stay sober while my mates got pissed and played jenga for 2 hours, to top it off i got flashed by the speed camera's when we left and had to go back and do a speed awareness course.

bad night all round.

I remember this well! It was the biggest news of the time! Thanks for posting Big Benny! Here are his comments about the fiasco posted on here a few days after:

Well it's been a hectic few days..

I'm here, good and well (theoretically speaking). I was not arrested and I am not bankrupt, although I probably would have gotten a better night's kip in a cell! I'm just here now to show my face, I'm not hiding, I am personally answering all calls on the ticket hotline. I'm just here to tell you what happened from my perspective and clear up a few things.

Let's not beat around the bush and talk about the ring. Simon (Steve Lynskey) you are LYING, although I don't know how much is truth and how much isn't. When I first booked the show, I booked Jake's 20x20 ring, based down south. So then I am told Jake's ring has been stolen (I'll cut the story short on that one I don't know what happened) - then I hear it is in Steve Lynskey's possession, ask what's going on and got fed some story I'd rather not go into.. so I ask whether the deal is still on. I am told it is not, as the ring needs new wooden boards, so I had to find another one. So I phoned up Jem from Brawl, who has a Highspots 16x16 ring in Northampton and booked him for that. Jem would have been here it was just a case of whether we were using his own van or a hired van. Everything's cool and I wish it was left at that, but oh no..

I get a call from Steve Lynskey a week before the show, saying in actual fact I can have the ring, for

• Paid Members
I hope its true for comedy purposes.

I don't know for certain, but I can absolutely believe the title-promo thing being the cause of it. Shane's a bizarre guy with some really funny ideas of what's important.

I think I may have shared my experience of this night a few times, certainly to Sheffbag.

The thing here is it was a sad day as there were probablly around 500 people knocking around in and outside, I nearly ran over Kenny Morrison the old SCW promoter.

I wonder how many of them never bothered with a British Wrestling show again.

As you can see from when I joined this forum, it was this event that led me to the forum. I remember it all so well, it's almost like HatGuy is telling my recollection of it. Only difference is I came all the way from Chelmsford in a coach with about 12 other fans, most of whom we picked up in London. We ended up getting back to Chelmsford at whatever time in the morning and I was introduced to this forum right then!

I'd been a fan of British Wrestling for a bit over a year, but this would have been the first time I'd ever travelled for more than about 90 minutes to see a show. I only knew about it from the ads in Total Wrestling, but had been told by some members of this forum who I knew that it would be well worth going to, and the coach trip made it affordable. Phil Austin, Chris Roberts, Andy Quildan and some others were in the coach too. We had fun on the way up.

Went to crap once we got there though, most of how I remember it is just like HatMan said. I was hoping to find some pictures I took that day, as I know I took some, including the broken table, the DDT on the stage, and the toy ring in the middle of the hall, but all I could find was a photo of everyone miserable getting back on the coach.