• Paid Members

That seems more than a litle off to me, given that a well performing Impact Youtube video would be considered to be somewhere in the 500,000 to 1m region.

Is that something to do with Facebook videos playing automatically when you scroll down the feed, even if just for a second or two? Impact has a healthy 1.6m FB followers, but still...

I'm sure its not one of the main reasons for the partnership, but Impact does generally have more social media followers than AEW so any cross promotion won't hurt Tony Khan in markets like India where Impact has a stronger footprint right now.

On a side note, Ethan Page's videos have been an interesting look at how they film TV in this covid age. I really hope he stays, having developed so much over the past 18 months or so.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

I just cgecked, and it does indeed have 135M views. Again mostly for Katie Forbes arse in the thumbnail I'd imagine.

Had never seen her before seeing the post about 135 million views and to be fair it's a glorious bum. 

• Paid Members

Don't know if it still happens, but with the way Facebook tracks 'views' companies used to get up to some dodgy stuff.

One of the old esports companies, DingIt, would have their flagship videos as pop-ups on other sites or embedded on the page with an auto-play, where any page view for the unrelated content becomes a view on the video. It was a great way for, fairly cheaply, padding your social media video view stats to make you look better to investors or partners.

Been a few years since I was involved in all that, so their impressions tracking might be smarter now and those views are legit, but I'm always skeptical.

• Paid Members

Haven’t Facebook been found to be largely making up the numbers as well…?

Regardless, are people really that invested in an arse in a video thumbnail to rack up over 100 million views? I very much doubt it. Definitely feels manufactured. The video doesn’t even have a clickbait-y title.

For any AEW looky-loos wondering what they should look out for on Impact in the coming weeks, I'll try to sum it up for you. I've had about 18 episodes saved up on the old Tivo box for the most part of the year but when they moved to Wednesday night on Freesports in HD and I realised I actually had that channel I thought I better catch up. I'm still 5 weeks behind, but I've basically fast forwarded through the vast majority of the previous episodes to keep up to date with what's happening. That of course should tell you that mainly, you haven't missed too much. Impact has long been a solid but unspectacular show. Funny enough their best matches probably actually came from Michael Elgin (who had a couple of barnstormers with Rich Swann) and Tessa Blanchard, both of whom are of course gone in disgrace or something. Other than that it's been quite a lot of repetitive combinations due to depleted roster (+ shitarses) infront of no crowds (insert your normal joke here). I watched nothing of the WRESTLE HOUSE stuff outside of the first episode. I just couldn't be bothered. I heard it was leading to a big (well received?) wedding angle before I even saw it.

But yeah they have 'some' good talents but not ONE big name really who you would think would be a threat in an inter-promotional war (which I don't think is happening anyway). EC3 and Eric Young seem regenerated here and have changed things up. Eddie Edwards has been a suitable maniac all year long. Ace Austin, Trey Miguel, Rich Swann and Willie Mack all have plenty of mileage in them. Callihan is Callihan. The North stuck out as a team that WOULD fit into AEW nicely is they needed to. I don't really have time for Motor City Machine Guns in 2020. It's just 10 years too late I'm afraid. Gallows and Anderson, I think, have been appalling mostly. Tommy Dreamer still turns up. There's a really fat tag team who look a laugh. Fallah Bahh is MONEY all day long. Ken Shamrock is Ken Shamrock. Moose is very entertaining in his role and the bringing back the TNA title for him was a good call.

Overall though, I can only see improvements in the show with some injection of talent being under-utilized for now on Dark. Very interested to see how this goes.....

• Moderators

EC3 has been gone since Bound for Glory, he's signed for ROH. Also, Wrestle House is one of the only good things Wrestling has done in yeeeeeeeeears.

Anyone new to Impact as it is now just needs to know that Johnny Swinger is the best, daddy.

• Paid Members

It makes you wonder how this partnership with AEW is going to affect Impact going forward. It can only be good things right? But Impact have finally hit their stride and is a tidy little, no stress hour that seems to fly by. The last thing Impact needs is to think about becoming a 'big player' again. Presuming this is anything more than a few joint shows with a rivalry attached. 

With Trey Miguel not signing with WWE, I can see him returning to Impact / AEW for a decent singles push. As much as I'd like to see The Rascalz together, I just don't think the magic will be there in NXT. 

The best thing AEW will gain from the partnership, is a good womens division. 

• Paid Members

Feeling a bit like a nervous parent knowing that Impact will have a lot more eyeballs on it tonight, but I really really hope that the commentary team isn't Josh Mathews and Madison Rayne again. Having those on the call coupled with a deathly silent arena will be enough to drive many away and to not bother again.

Pretty good card tonight but the quality won't really matter if the above are universally panned.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

I’m excited to see what happens when I watch Impact tomorrow morning but the thought of having to go through the likes of Josh Matthews and Krazzy Steve to get to Omega makes me think there’ll be a lot of skipping.

• Paid Members

Weirdest show I've ever seen.

Two hours of dead television. A fucking wasteland of castoffs having below average matches in silence. Absolutely nothing with any spark whatsoever. And then one of my favourite promos in ages to cap it off. What an absolutely amazing act Callis and Omega are. A fantastic pair of pricks. I can't say enough good things about what Kenny Omega has evolved into. Even the snide WWE bashing, dorky comic book references and lame nods to being in the Observer Hall of Fame. Everything feels like it's completely clicked into place and we're off to the races. Such a bell-end. I love it. Tremendous work. I cant believe in the year 2020 Cyrus is now one my favourite characters in pro-wrestling.

But yeah, shame Impact didn't try and convert some new viewers going forward. What a fucking chore this show must be week to week.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Supremo said:

Weirdest show I've ever seen.

Two hours of dead television. A fucking wasteland of castoffs having below average matches in silence. Absolutely nothing with any spark whatsoever. And then one of my favourite promos in ages to cap it off. What an absolutely amazing act Callis and Omega are. A fantastic pair of pricks. I can't say enough good things about what Kenny Omega has evolved into. Even the snide WWE bashing, dorky comic book references and lame nods to being in the Observer Hall of Fame. Everything feels like it's completely clicked into place and we're off to the races. Such a bell-end. I love it. Tremendous work. I cant believe in the year 2020 Cyrus is now one my favourite characters in pro-wrestling.

But yeah, shame Impact didn't try and convert some new viewers going forward. What a fucking chore this show must be week to week.

I took one look at the card on Reddit and noped right fucking out of watching the show. Bryan Myers, Cody Deaner, TJP matches, Josh Mathews on commentary. It sounds like a punishment.

The Two Tonys cracked me up with their passive aggressive burial, even if it was completely counter productive. 

“You spent a cup of coffee in Impact didn’t you Tony?”

“Yeah one night and then I quit the business for 18 years”.