• Paid Members

TNA ran an ECW reunion show in 2010 and it was seen as old hat then. Stop booking these fuckers. Last time I saw TNA it was like an old episode of ECW Hardcore TV. Grainy footage from house shows, loads of pre-tapes, stunt shows. There's not means to an end with Impact. I have no idea if its that the company is cursed or not, but they never seem to go anywhere.

• Paid Members

I must admit, I've developed a grudging respect for Tommy Dreamer - or more accurately, the front he's got.

Gainfully employed by WWE for about a decade, he then went to TNA & cried on screen about how much he hated WWE for resurrecting the ECW name - whilst promoting TNA's own ECW reunion show.

Then he went back to WWE. Then back to TNA. Then back to WWE. And so on.

The absolute peak was doing a "the Impact Zone is like an empty cave devoid of life" gag on an episode of the WWE-produced Edge & Christian Show during a period he was also appearing on TV for TNA - and acknowledging that fact whilst doing it.

Doesn't give a shit as long as he's getting paid. Gotta respect that.

Bizarrely tempted, to be honest with you. I've been doing well with my whole no more money to WWE for a bit thing, and my job allows me to have a video window on the go 8 hours a day. Some 2006-2010 TNA wouldn't go down too bad in the background for a month. It had its place in those years, for me. Impact on Challenge was more pleasurable than Raw on Sky for awhile. For all the slagging it rightfully gets, it was a decent circus in parts that my own wrestling world is probably worse off without. 

Tried signing up there though and the button on the site was non responsive. Fucking TNA. 

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, WeeAl said:

The man's only talent is that he has successfully been able to steal a living for the past 25 years. 

That sentence is applicable to quite a lot of original ECW guys, to be fair.

Going through Lockdown 2009 because it's on YouTube in full. Look at the cut of Angle:

Screenshot-2019-05-07-at-10-09-50.png

It's no secret he wasn't doing the greatest at the time but he shocked me when he walked out. Kind of lean at a glance, but then the poor guy just strikes you as pallid, gaunt and knackered. Like the initial shock of seeing skinny, mid 90s Grant Mitchell again after the beefier On Gangs years. 

So yeah, nabbed a free month of Impact Plus, just because it's going. 

Just finished The Asylum Years, Vol. 1. Pretty good way to ingest it, to be honest with you. At this point it felt like an NWA territory booked as ECW by Vince Russo, with a bit of WCW continuity going on. So a bit of everything thrown in there. I know some people would describe their entire run that way, but after awhile it did just become a game of seeing which WWE guy would cough out into that sterile sound stage set next. This compilation leaves me with the feeling that they started out as TNA as possible, and just watered that down as they went along. Which is probably a good thing. 

Some absolute dross on it. Sabu vs. Ken Shamrock and Jarrett Vs. Dusty Rhodes have no place on any collection. Ever. Too much Double J in general on it, but those were the times, I guess. Jeff Jarrett & Lex Luger vs. AJ Styles & Sting is a fun, old school tag match where you can really see AJ turning into their HBK. Luger just busts out a few bear hugs and a torture rack. Doesn't hide any spot calling. 

There's also a bunch of company humping in between the matches, chiefly from Dixie and Abyss, which all look tragicomedy in hindsight. "It's amazing to think how far we've come from Nashville, y'know."

The absolute highlight, though, is the No Mercy N64 style tron videos that they full-screen as the guys come out that all look like lo-res .gif images of in built video editor effects with the wrestler's name thrown in somewhere. 

This is Jarrett's. It looks far better on YouTube. A tour of all the towns he's conquered as champion. There's a bit of that Evolution gold going on in the video, only instead of getting off a chopper he's missed his train. 

Going to chuck on part 2, now, and then probably jump Main Event Mafia my way on up to the first few months of the Bischoff/Hogan era. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

15 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

This is Jarrett's. It looks far better on YouTube. A tour of all the towns he's conquered as champion

This is great. Really nice touch that they managed to synchronise the bit where I started laughing out loud with the vocal track laughing out loud. 

Kind of reminds me of this.