• Paid Members

Could have done without the Karate Man bollocks but otherwise an enjoyable show from top to bottom.

The modest piped in crowd noise wasn't ideal but way better than eerie silence and the commentary was an upgrade.

Main event was fantastic, Moose came across as a star and Rich Swann came out elevated if anything, even in defeat.

Kenny Omega's superb isn't he? (And that's someone 6 months ago I couldn't get what all the hype was about).

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

“Oh Hi Marks”

It was on youtube the other night with his gfs nipple pixilated out and it was hilarious.    I love 2020 RVD. Did I ever mention that he had me roll his joints for him once at Wales Comic Co

When everyone got released, I remember saying Heath was the one I was most intrigued to see outside of the WWE machine, because he's always seemed like a fun & creative guy but we've never really

Posted Images

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Didn't take long for Matt Striker to remind me how fucking terrible he is.

Listening to Josh Matthews for seven years means my bar is pretty fucking low but last night sounded so refreshing.

As much as I like Ethan Page, I'm not sure what he's complaining about (if its legit).

https://wrestlingheadlines.com/ethan-page-unhappy-with-impacts-lazy-edits-to-his-hard-to-kill-cinematic-match-apologizes-to-fans/

"Last night sucked. I’m so embarrassed with how IMPACT! lazily edited that segment last night & forced it to be a joke."

Mate, you were fighting yourself in front of a series of outlandish backdrops. It filled a gap while they were setting up the barbed wire, was hardly going to be a 5* classic even if they played the whole thing.

Edited by garynysmon

Decent show. I really wish they'd get even a dozen people banging on plexiglass, though. It's bananas how my opinion has fluctuated on stuff like this in the last year, oscillating between not wanting to be reminded of living in a dystopia by watching empty arenas and actually craving the scheduled normality of it as a release. A handful of plants now amounts to a passable atmosphere, and I wish they'd do it. 

No major problem with Striker, here. He's daft at times, but I appreciate how he does seem to throw his backside into it. It was far more authoritative commentary than Josh Matthews. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Does anyone know the legalities of wearing a Bullet Club shirt on your show if there’s no agreement in place with New Japan?

I'm convinced there is some sort of agreement tbh. It would have been daft for Impact and AEW talent to implicate themselves in a copyright dispute and I doubt it would have been signed off without some kind of permission in place. 

Chris Bey took part in New Japan's recent tournament (as did TJP but he's freelance). No way would the former have happened without a thawing of relations to some degree at least.

Edited by garynysmon
  • Paid Members

Given that Don Callis worked for NJPW before taking over Impact, I imagine he's managed to work something out with them, or at least chip away at the "Gedo hates TNA" attitude that prevented them working together for years.

On the other hand, it's "just" a T-shirt. It's basically free publicity for NJPW, and it's not I don't know what the legal grounds would be to stop Omega wearing it, if they cared to. Chris Jericho wore his "Alpha Club" shirt from NJPW on an episode of RAW, if I remember correctly. It feels like something that would be a matter of internal standards and practices rather than any kind of legal question.

• Paid Members

It seems like a no lose situation to me for NJPW. If their t-shirt is seen on two different TV shows, independent of their own product, yet you can only purchase it by going through their distributors, then I don't see how they would have a problem. It's a different story if somebody tears the shirt off and takes a leak on it in the middle of the ring, but I don't see that being high on the list of things to be worried about. 

• Paid Members

I suppose the precedent would be the WCW/WWF lawsuit, where the WWF's case was built on the argument that WCW were relying on the fans to recognise Scott Hall as Razor Ramon, and therefore were profiting from a WWF product, but also creating the impression that a WWF performer was appearing on WCW television.

The argument could be made that, by appearing in Bullet Club merch on another wrestling show, Omega et al were creating the impression that they were members of NJPW's Bullet Club, and that NJPW were involved in/endorsed that match/show. I can't see that being something they'd want to pursue unless they really don't like Kenny Omega, though.

• Paid Members
Just now, BomberPat said:

I suppose the precedent would be the WCW/WWF lawsuit, where the WWF's case was built on the argument that WCW were relying on the fans to recognise Scott Hall as Razor Ramon, and therefore were profiting from a WWF product, but also creating the impression that a WWF performer was appearing on WCW television.

The argument could be made that, by appearing in Bullet Club merch on another wrestling show, Omega et al were creating the impression that they were members of NJPW's Bullet Club, and that NJPW were involved in/endorsed that match/show. I can't see that being something they'd want to pursue unless they really don't like Kenny Omega, though.

Yep. That would almost certainly be their legal argument. By implying that they are still Bullet Club members, Omega and co are causing confusion in the market place and diluting the value of the Bullet Club name. Which is fair enough really. I mean, if you google Bullet Club now, all the news stories are about AEW and Impact. That's not great for NJPW's top heel group.

I'd be shocked if a deal hasn't been worked out though. The Elite aren't idiots. If they thought they could get away with using Bullet Club stuff without permission then they would've done it ages ago. That was the whole reason that they rebranded themselves as "The Elite" in the first place. There's no way they spent two years not even really doing the "Too Sweet" (which NJPW doesn't own) just to suddenly get this blatant about it.

Besides NJPW surely would've made some kind of statement by now? 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

By implying that they are still Bullet Club members, Omega and co are causing confusion in the market place and diluting the value of the Bullet Club name.

The counter-argument:

giphy.gif

• Paid Members

Tama Tonga has been 'kicking off' about it all, which makes me think NJPW are involved or have at least given the go ahead for the hints and jabs towards Bullet Club. Have Bullet Club got much name value these days? That's not a dig, its a genuine question from someone who hasn't watched any of the NJPW run of Bullet Club. Other than the recent AEW / Impact stuff, you barely hear anything about Bullet Club these days compared with their peak. As an outsider, i get the impression it has gone the way of NWO when everyone and their mother was involved at some point. 

https://cultaholic.com/posts/tama-tonga-on-aew-s-bullet-club-reunion-you-are-not-bullet-club 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Other than the recent AEW / Impact stuff, you barely hear anything about Bullet Club these days compared with their peak. As an outsider, i get the impression it has gone the way of NWO when everyone and their mother was involved at some point. 

Same here. As someone who's never liked ROH nor watched anything New Japan apart from the massive WrestleKingdom main events, the Bullet Club was always something pretty obscure that was going on in Japan as far as I was concerned.