• Paid Members

I suppose the precedent would be the WCW/WWF lawsuit, where the WWF's case was built on the argument that WCW were relying on the fans to recognise Scott Hall as Razor Ramon, and therefore were profiting from a WWF product, but also creating the impression that a WWF performer was appearing on WCW television.

The argument could be made that, by appearing in Bullet Club merch on another wrestling show, Omega et al were creating the impression that they were members of NJPW's Bullet Club, and that NJPW were involved in/endorsed that match/show. I can't see that being something they'd want to pursue unless they really don't like Kenny Omega, though.

• Paid Members
Just now, BomberPat said:

I suppose the precedent would be the WCW/WWF lawsuit, where the WWF's case was built on the argument that WCW were relying on the fans to recognise Scott Hall as Razor Ramon, and therefore were profiting from a WWF product, but also creating the impression that a WWF performer was appearing on WCW television.

The argument could be made that, by appearing in Bullet Club merch on another wrestling show, Omega et al were creating the impression that they were members of NJPW's Bullet Club, and that NJPW were involved in/endorsed that match/show. I can't see that being something they'd want to pursue unless they really don't like Kenny Omega, though.

Yep. That would almost certainly be their legal argument. By implying that they are still Bullet Club members, Omega and co are causing confusion in the market place and diluting the value of the Bullet Club name. Which is fair enough really. I mean, if you google Bullet Club now, all the news stories are about AEW and Impact. That's not great for NJPW's top heel group.

I'd be shocked if a deal hasn't been worked out though. The Elite aren't idiots. If they thought they could get away with using Bullet Club stuff without permission then they would've done it ages ago. That was the whole reason that they rebranded themselves as "The Elite" in the first place. There's no way they spent two years not even really doing the "Too Sweet" (which NJPW doesn't own) just to suddenly get this blatant about it.

Besides NJPW surely would've made some kind of statement by now? 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

By implying that they are still Bullet Club members, Omega and co are causing confusion in the market place and diluting the value of the Bullet Club name.

The counter-argument:

giphy.gif

• Paid Members

Tama Tonga has been 'kicking off' about it all, which makes me think NJPW are involved or have at least given the go ahead for the hints and jabs towards Bullet Club. Have Bullet Club got much name value these days? That's not a dig, its a genuine question from someone who hasn't watched any of the NJPW run of Bullet Club. Other than the recent AEW / Impact stuff, you barely hear anything about Bullet Club these days compared with their peak. As an outsider, i get the impression it has gone the way of NWO when everyone and their mother was involved at some point. 

https://cultaholic.com/posts/tama-tonga-on-aew-s-bullet-club-reunion-you-are-not-bullet-club 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Other than the recent AEW / Impact stuff, you barely hear anything about Bullet Club these days compared with their peak. As an outsider, i get the impression it has gone the way of NWO when everyone and their mother was involved at some point. 

Same here. As someone who's never liked ROH nor watched anything New Japan apart from the massive WrestleKingdom main events, the Bullet Club was always something pretty obscure that was going on in Japan as far as I was concerned.

• Paid Members

In fairness, Tama Tonga's pretty good at utilising social media for this kind of thing, and I'm pretty sure he has previous with the Cultaholic lot. He's likely working his own angle, rather than this being evidence of NJPW being in on it. 

• Paid Members

I suppose its fair to say that quite a lot happened last night....

Must say that in 2017 I never thought that Matt Hardy would be seen on Impact again.

Great way of keeping the roster fresh though, as long as they don't overdo it in terms of too many AEW wrestlers popping up.

Pretty decent episode. Surprise appearances from Matt Hardy, Private Party and James Storm, the (fingers crossed) exit of Taya (really don't get the fuss- bad acting and meh in the ring), Swann/Moose feud, and I'm liking the new 'Karen' character Susan.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Syl said:

Taya (really don't get the fuss

I can think of two good reasons up front as to why I'll miss her...

At least the Swing Man was on this week and still has the money daddy!

@DavidB6937Matt Hardy's listed for Dynamite tonight, unlucky.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Gutted Taya's done, she's been fun.

I have a feeling she'll be back one day. Well liked backstage by all accounts, she's had a good four years.

Probably off for a short run in WWE, at 37 she probably feels this is her last chance.

Edited by garynysmon

15 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

I have a feeling she'll be back one day. Well liked backstage by all accounts, she's had a good four years.

Probably off for a short run in WWE, at 37 she probably feels this is her last chance.

She's seeing John Morrison, so that'd be a good shout for her, actually. To be fair as well, she's got a decent look, experience with CMLL and American polish, plus the aforementioned connection with the Tuesday Night Delight.