• Paid Members

I wonder whether he deliberately dialled it back in AEW so that when the heel turn and title win came it'd have more of an impact. All the people complaining that they've not seen the "real" Kenny Omega, and then when he finally arrives it's in such a heelish manner that they can't cheer for him.

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I wonder whether he deliberately dialled it back in AEW so that when the heel turn and title win came it'd have more of an impact. All the people complaining that they've not seen the "real" Kenny Omega, and then when he finally arrives it's in such a heelish manner that they can't cheer for him.

It's certainly something that's been discussed in hindsight - difficult to know whether the long term planning was that good or not. It has worked now but it was definitely frustrating at points. I'm sure if you asked those in charge they'd definitely say it was all planned and something genius.. which I would too.

I think Omega struggled with American TV style wrestling cause it's something I don't think he's ever done, ROH, PWG or whatever non Japan shows he worked were indy or internet shows.

Going from that style for 15+yrs to TV matches which should be shorter and more to the point and promo work all with stricter time restrictions.

Might not be but I think it's a reason

• Paid Members

I think you could argue there are too many managers in AEW, having brought in some legends just for the sake of it and not really doing much in some cases.

But Callis really is adding to Omega's act, while you also have that real life back story of course.

In a way its quite intriguing how this will all end up. Surely at some point Tony Khan will reach a stage where he doesn't want one of his main attractions diluting himself by appearing on another company's tv and headlining their PPV's every few months, but then how does Callis continue being his manager as well as an Impact executive without that crossover?

3 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I think you could argue there are too many managers in AEW, having brought in some legends just for the sake of it and not really doing much in some cases.

But Callis really is adding to Omega's act, while you also have that real life back story of course.

In a way its quite intriguing how this will all end up. Surely at some point Tony Khan will reach a stage where he doesn't want one of his main attractions diluting himself by appearing on another company's tv and headlining their PPV's every few months, but then how does Callis continue being his manager as well as an Impact executive without that crossover?

Yeah I'd settle for a middle ground between WWE and AEW when it comes to managers. WWE doesn't have enough for my liking, while AEW has everyone and his dog.

Guys like Heyman and Callis are really doing different but exceptional work at getting their guys over and I'd love to see more of that rather than (a) no managers at all or (b) people just standing around at ringside because you've decided to hire everyone in existence.

• Paid Members

I don't think they have too many. There's, what, Callis, Tully, Taz, Jake and Brandi? Am I forgetting anyone?

They have different dynamics - Callis is the Heyman-style corporate manager for the champion, Tully's mostly in the tag ranks, Brandi's awful, Taz is the disgruntled veteran with a whole stable behind him, while Jake is more in the "evil heel" Kevin Sullivan type vein, and again only has the one client. 

It feels like '80s NWA or WWF, and it's only because managers have become a dying breed that it feels out of place. If you look at the card for Wrestlemania 3, you've got Bobby Heenan, Jimmy Hart, Mr Fuji, Slick, Johnny Valiant, and Miss Elizabeth all on the card, with some of them doing double duty. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I don't think they have too many. There's, what, Callis, Tully, Taz, Jake and Brandi? Am I forgetting anyone?

Just Arn Anderson I think. Potentially Sting if they go down that road.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Now that she's pregnant I imagine she'll be stepping back soon-ish, so that's one less active manager on the 

Also there's Vicki Guerrero doing the manager thing for Nyla Rose to an extent. 

I'm not sure there are too many managers in AEW, or at least it's not become repetitive enough yet that it's crossed my mind up to this point. 

Edited by mim731

The Bunny and Penelope Ford are more managers than wrestlers. They haven't been mentioned. If think when you add them all up, that's quite a lot of managers for a 2 hour show. Also, most of those managers have more than one client as well.

I think another thing with AEW is there is almost always some one at ring side. Whether it be a manager, a tag team partner or a member of their faction.

I think Jon Moxley, Matt Sydal, Brandon Cuttler and Darby Allin are the only members of the roster who do not have some one join them at ring side on the mens side of the roster.

(Sorry if it's not cricket to discuss AEW in a TNA thread).

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

The Bunny and Penelope Ford are more managers than wrestlers. They haven't been mentioned. If think when you add them all up, that's quite a lot of managers for a 2 hour show. Also, most of those managers have more than one client as well.

Actually, add to that, Rebel manages Britt Baker doesn't she?

The sheer number of managers hasn't had a negative effect for me, a couple of individual managers have been shite or just not made sense tho.

It makes guys like Darby and Mox being a lone wolf mean more to me, but let's see how I feel later down the line.

Edited by Merzbow
sorry for the AEW talk, Butch

• Paid Members

Am I the only one who thinks Brandi is okay as a performer? It's just that everything she does tends to contradict everything else she does and none of it ever seems to lead anywhere. It's not like she's Jade Cargill on the mic or anything. She just needs to decide who she actually is.

7 hours ago, garynysmon said:

That's got me curious as well. Normally arrangements like this fall apart because of the politics and mistrust between the companies but, in this case, there's a level of trust between Omega and Callis that goes far beyond business, and both of them clearly have the trust of their employers.

It DOES make me wonder what's going to happen once Kenny starts to actually wrestle for Impact though. You've got to think he's beating Swann, to keep the storyline going, but what happens after that? He's going to have to start dropping titles at some point and that could cause some real awkwardness. Are AEW really going to let one of their top guys lose to an Impact wrestler on TV or PPV?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, unfitfinlay said:

Are AEW really going to let one of their top guys lose to an Impact wrestler on TV or PPV?

Only way around it I can think of is someone like Moxley interfering him and costing him a match, thus reigniting or inflaming an existing feud.