• Paid Members

That is a pretty dumb decision if that is true. They could have taped two shows and cut their bill in half. I dont think they can possibly do weekly live shows on the road. They haven't got the infrastructure to promote their arena shows. In some towns they get 800 people to see Jeff Hardy and Kurt Angle. And 800 people in a large arena wont pay the cost of flying out talent and filming it and it will look horrid.

Unless they are planning on doing the Hammerstein and the Manhattan Centre and making it look real intimate with a super hot crowd (like Raw in 1993 or ECW in 99/2000) then weekly live shows in arenas just doesn't sound like something a company like TNA can pull off in the current climate.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

It's a difficult situation for TNA to be in. They're the number #2 Wrestling Promotion in North America and there is a pretty high expectation for what shows should look like. With that expectation being it should look like the WWE does but TNA can't pull it off. I hope they use smaller venues as Ian said as it will look terrible overwise but I think TNA wants to use the big arenas so they don't look like an indy promotion. I really hope it works for them and the only hope I have is "Nobody buys PPV's so hopefully people will want to attend the TV Tapings" as a hope for attendance to be okay/break-even.

"All Road Impact Tapings To Be LIVE

After Dixie Carter said Impact Wrestling will be going on the road permanently, alot of people on this site were wondering if it was going to be live each week or one live and one taped. I sent Dixie Carter a message on facebook asking if we would be getting Live Impacts or one Live and one taped Dixie replied to my faceook message and sent me this message today.

Dixie Carter

Andrae- thank you for your question- we will continue to be LIVE. Thanks for supporting IMPACT"

Story from TNAsylum.com.

Sounds more like she was dodging the question a little.

Apparently the WWE want exclusive deals with some buildings now because TNA are going on the road, I don't see why they would bother, TNA wont be running WWE sized arenas for some time, if ever. They did the same with WCW in the early 90's but they were much bigger and obviously had Turners backing, so they were a viable threat.

• Paid Members
Apparently the WWE want exclusive deals with some buildings now because TNA are going on the road, I don't see why they would bother, TNA wont be running WWE sized arenas for some time, if ever.

TNA have ran the Von Braun Centre Arena, the Ocean Centre, the Knoxville Coliseum, the Macon Coliseum. TNA and WWE usually run the same buildings when TNA tapes TV and does PPVs. WWE aren't the Rolling Stones. They run the same size venues. Its just WWE gets more people in. WWE has ran the Sears Centre Arena (which will be TNAs first taping) plenty of times as well.

• Paid Members

The only scenario I've ever come across where WWE goes out of business was in EWR, and it was pretty surreal. It'll never happen in real life, even with TNA breathing down their necks - their brand recognition is unassailable.

Apparently the WWE want exclusive deals with some buildings now because TNA are going on the road, I don't see why they would bother, TNA wont be running WWE sized arenas for some time, if ever.

TNA have ran the Von Braun Centre Arena, the Ocean Centre, the Knoxville Coliseum, the Macon Coliseum. TNA and WWE usually run the same buildings when TNA tapes TV and does PPVs. WWE aren't the Rolling Stones. They run the same size venues. Its just WWE gets more people in. WWE has ran the Sears Centre Arena (which will be TNAs first taping) plenty of times as well.

WWE from what I see sometimes run NBA sized arenas (which are usually 20,000 + arenas) at least every few weeks and generally don't run TV tapings in anything other than something that holds 5,000+ twice a week. I doubt TNA will be booking these sized buildings every 2 weeks or whatever, outside of house shows TNA have run maybe 5 or 6 events a year (in the US) in bigger buildings and struggled to fill them even for Bound For Glory, so I doubt they will be running 5,000 + arenas very long.

• Paid Members

WWE has several TV programs and run loads of house shows. They aren't running 20,000 seaters in those. Its obvious WWE and TNA will run the same venues occasionally. And just because WWE runs big venues doesn't mean they sell them out. In 2012 there was a load of RAW and Smackdown tapings where a lot of the building was darkened due to empty seats. It makes sense for WWE not to want another wrestling event to turn up and over saturate one of their markets. Even if its 2000 or 3000 people turning up to Impact, thats still a portion of people who might not be able to afford to go and see a second wrestling show that year.

WWE has several TV programs and run loads of house shows. They aren't running 20,000 seaters in those. Its obvious WWE and TNA will run the same venues occasionally. And just because WWE runs big venues doesn't mean they sell them out. In 2012 there was a load of RAW and Smackdown tapings where a lot of the building was darkened due to empty seats. It makes sense for WWE not to want another wrestling event to turn up and over saturate one of their markets. Even if its 2000 or 3000 people turning up to Impact, thats still a portion of people who might not be able to afford to go and see a second wrestling show that year.

Especially if TNA gives out loads of free tickets.

• Paid Members

TNA don't advertise Sting and Hogan on house shows though, so maybe that isn't a fair reflection. I recall they did Impact tapings in Lafayette a few years ago and it was a big success.

Maybe even return to the arena they first started taping their weekly PPV's in Nashville (the one before the Asylum).

They have to be really careful though, as I find people aren't as willing to give TNA second chances as they are with WWE. If Raw is awful for a few weeks, they still keep tuning every week. But every time TNA slip up, they just stop watching.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
They have to be really careful though, as I find people aren't as willing to give TNA second chances as they are with WWE. If Raw is awful for a few weeks, they still keep tuning every week. But every time TNA slip up, they just stop watching.

In fairness, that's largely because WWE have demonstrated quite clearly over the years that, when they get it right, it's fucking spectacular and well worth ploughing through the shit for, whereas TNA have been really inconsistent, putting out a lot of crap, not to mention displaying a disturbing ability to actively fuck up potentially great things.

TNA don't advertise Sting and Hogan on house shows though, so maybe that isn't a fair reflection.

TNA don't advertise their house shows, period. I mean, they briefly mention them on TV every week and obviously the house show schedule is on the TNA website but outside of that they do almost no advertising for the shows, i.e. they spent no money on advertising house shows. That's one of the reasons why even when they draw weak crowds they still, reportedly, manage to break even on most of the house show loops that they do. Merchandise sells, VIP fan packages, paid in-ring photos with a star and using a small roster for the shows are the other reasons why TNA's house show business is doing alright, financially speaking, and why they still run 100+ house shows every year despite attendance being weak for a lot of those shows.

TV is a whole another beast though as it is much more expensive to put on a television taping and thus it's much harder to break even. I recall Dixie saying that running a television taping outside of Orlando cost them about $500,000. And that's for taped shows. The cost of broadcasting live is surely bigger than that. It really makes you wonder how they're going to pull this off. Spike TV footing the bill, perhaps?