• Paid Members

Checking out a recent episode of Impact for the first time in forever tonight just to see how it is looking these days in comparison to the explosion of TV product out there from WWE, AEW, NWA, NXT and MLW and I've just watched a hype video for the Moose vs Shamrock match which absolutely blows any hype video from any other promotion this year clean out of the water. It was incredible.

Can anyone explain the appeal of Joey Ryan to me, please?
He seems like the epitome of a 'one-trick pony'.
I saw the dick flip in DDT when he first did it and went 'Okay that's a funny little spot'.... and it seems like that's all he's ever done in the 8 or so years since.

I am truly baffled by how the guy is still popular. It's not like he's a legend doing his signature moves for a one-off nostalgia pop - people still cheer the fucking dick flip!

I honestly don't get it.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

AEW I could realistically see working in some capacity with Impact, given how close D'Amore/Callis are with their top brass. 

God, I hope not. They REALLY don't need that Impact stink on them.

1 minute ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Can anyone explain the appeal of Joey Ryan to me, please?
He seems like the epitome of a 'one-trick pony'.
I saw the dick flip in DDT when he first did it and went 'Okay that's a funny little spot'.... and it seems like that's all he's ever done in the 8 or so years since.

I am truly baffled by how the guy is still popular. It's not like he's a legend doing his signature moves for a one-off nostalgia pop - people still cheer the fucking dick flip!

I honestly don't get it.

I've enjoyed him a lot in Being the Elite - he's good at taking a joke and running with it. Following his res-erection, they did an angle for a while where the Young Bucks and Cody turned up for surprise appearances at shows, and each time, they rescued Joey Ryan. This led into an ongoing story where Joey turned out to be utterly incapable of defending himself and everyone would beat him up, softly kicking him while he curled up on the floor. Wrestlers, managers, fans, children. I found it funny each time in a Fast Show running gag kind of way.

He's one of the better outright actors in wrestling, and he appears to be trying to do more of that as well - he's been picking up small TV spots here and there. So he's worked well with that kind of long-running gag, usually changing it up at around the time it'd get annoying. So the feud with Hangman (which Hangman was funny as hell during too) led to the murder/disappearance angle, led into the return, led into the bullying... there's been more there than just the spot.

So as a guest who turns up in different places, he can work well - his spots are over, they're anticipated and he wanders elsewhere. Purely in-ring, he's no great shakes. But he does a lot of social media work and comedy moments to build that up over the years.

8 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I've enjoyed him a lot in Being the Elite - he's good at taking a joke and running with it. Following his res-erection, they did an angle for a while where the Young Bucks and Cody turned up for surprise appearances at shows, and each time, they rescued Joey Ryan. This led into an ongoing story where Joey turned out to be utterly incapable of defending himself and everyone would beat him up, softly kicking him while he curled up on the floor. Wrestlers, managers, fans, children. I found it funny each time in a Fast Show running gag kind of way.

Okay, I have so many questions...
Rescued Joey Ryan from what? Why was he incapable of defending himself? Why was everyone softly kicking him rather than just... kicking him? ...and, sorry... he was murdered?!? 

He hasn't really changed it up though has he? At BFG last night he flipped some people with his dick and repeatedly told everyone to touch his dick.... just like every other Joey Ryan match in the last God knows how long. I agree - it's over. I give the guy credit for seemingly making a living from people touching his dick.... I just don't get it. 

• Paid Members

Joey Ryan's fine when he doesn't lean too much into that gimmick - I enjoyed him in Lucha Underground as a sleazy undercover cop. 

I don't get annoyed at the dick flip stuff in a Cornette "killing the business" sense, I just don't find it funny, particularly not the two hundredth time around. Hated the Joey Ryan stuff at All-In, for a variety of reasons.

That said, dude has found a way to earn big money on the indies by doing very little work, and taking very few bumps. More power to him.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Okay, I have so many questions...
Rescued Joey Ryan from what? Why was he incapable of defending himself? Why was everyone softly kicking him rather than just... kicking him? ...and, sorry... he was murdered?!? 

The heels on the closing segment on the show double-teamed him and then the Young Bucks came out for the rescue in a surprise spot. Then they did the same angle the next time with Cody. And another time with all of them. Not all for the same show or anything - just small indies.

After this, they did a small storyline where Joey had clearly come to expect the Elite to bail him out, and when they weren't around and there was nobody to rescue him, he was in trouble. So, for fun, they leaned into it on Being The Elite, and kept escalating it, as more people realised that Joey Ryan was a pathetic man-child that they could push around. And it went from being 'realistic' beatdowns to backstage comedy, so the pathetic nature of the attacks was still too much for Joey to defend himself against. The ongoing gag was just that he'd give up rather than try, and the comedy was often in knowing how the skit would end.

The murder was Hangman Page - he'd been in a feud with Joey Ryan, claiming that Joey was just a 'penis pretender' and he was the real deal. And it concluded with Ryan making him drink a jug of piss and then superkicking him. In the Being the Elite show, he then beat Joey to death in a hotel room in revenge, but pretended he didn't do it. It was (in the Being The Elite world) a big news story, where news reports about 'Famous Dick Wrestler, Joey Ryan' being missing and presumed dead were a thing. Hangman went insane with the pressure, believing his cowboy boots were snitching on him, and eventually was taken down when Joey Ryan returned with the inflatable penis version of the Undertaker's Druids at All In. It was later revealed that while Joey had been killed, the power of his erection brought him back to life.

I'm not saying any of this makes for great matches, but it was pretty fun comedy. Made me laugh at least once per segment.