ROYAL RUMBLE 2013 DISCUSSION THREAD

PunkStep

• Paid Members

Am I going completely mental, or is there not an actual thread to discuss that ppv that's happening tomorrow? I've seen umpteen Rumble threads. Reviews of past rumbles, betting for the rumble (x 2), rumble sweepstakes, rumble reminiscing, surprise entrant pool, drinking game, favourite undercard matches and a diary of those attending the rumble- but none for the actual event tomorrow. Even Smackdown this week has a thread!

So on that note, I presume everyone is staying up for it? Seeing as, y'know, it's the rumble. Lots of things to think about and discuss, such as...

Potential winners: I've still to decide between Ryback and Cena. Orton, Ziggler and Sheamus are also in with a shout and if WWE really wanted to go for a shock then how about someone like Roman Reigns?

Surprise entrants: I think there are several spots unannounced, but I don't think the Shield have been included in any lists I've seen, so I'd imagine they're in and take up three of those spots. Hopefully Billy Gunn is in, a couple of real surprises would be nice, even if for one night only. The two names I've heard thrown about by Lordsofpain aren't filling me with excitement, though?

The undercard: It looks pretty damn good, doesn't it? Although it seems Hell No and Rhodes Scholars have wrestled a million times, it should still be a good bout and one that the heels might win the titles. Del Rio VS Show could be a right dark horse belter. Their Smackdown title match a couple of weeks ago was very good, Show has been on a roll over the past several months (in fact, I think he was good all throughout 2012) and Del Rio nearly always delivers the goods in-ring. And then you have Punk VS Rock, which could be an early contender for match of the year and even be up there with the best at the end of 2013.

I'm well up for this. I love me a Royal Rumble.

• Paid Members

I really want to stay up and watch the show. I'm finishing work at midnight tonight, then I'm back in at 11.30am tomorrow and working until 11.30pm so I won't get home until midnight, then I'm working Monday at 2.30pm. I can probably do it!

I reckon it'll be a good show. The Rumble itself, I can't see past Cena simply because I think they are going to go with Cena/Rock 2 at Mania. Which of course means that Rock beats Punk. I'd love to see Punk retain, however.

• Paid Members

I would like to see Ryback win but i think he will be rampaging through when The Shield come out and get him eliminated. I don't know if they will be participants.

Can see Ziggler going for a long time only to be eliminated by Cena near the end.

Rock V Punk should be something special. Plus i'm not 100% convinced Rock will win.

• Paid Members

Re Rock winning, I'm not 100% either. Months ago I was sure Rock would win and we'd have Rock VS the rumble winner Cena at Wrestlemania. Now I can't really guess what the line-up will be at Mania. But I don't see a clean Punk win either, and the Shield can't interfere. Brock comes straight to mind, but if that happens then I'm even more lost as to what we'll see at Mania (apart from Rock VS Brock, that is).

Edit: johnnyboy if the Shield interfere, Punk is stripped

• Paid Members

I seriously want to stay up for this, but that means going to bed at 4am and waking up to get ready for work at 6.30. Two and a half hours sleep? I'm not sure I can justify it on top of an hours drive.

This is my fave PPV of the year though, even more so than Wrestlemania. The Rumble itself is usually tremendous fun even when it isn't quite on song. The only Rumble of the last few years that's left a sour taste is 2006, but SOC's review of it actually makes me look back on it a little bit fonder than I did at the time it took place. I loved going back to the 2002 one for my Rumble review contribution.

My first proper Rumble was 2001. I'd started watching the WWF religiously from about July onwards, and as such this was the first opportunity to see a 'Current' Rumble. Kane eliminating 11 guys and the hardcore tomfoolery were just brilliant, as was the Rock/Austin stuff.

• Paid Members

Maddox isn't banned from interfering. I say Rock takes the belt in the Chamber. Either that or he's a surprise Rumble entrant, eliminating Cena to win, then Cena takes the belt in the Chamber. Either way, I'm certain Rock/Cena II for the belt is where it's going.

Anyway, I'll be at the pub for this. Rumble with a bunch of mates and a burger at 2am, for a fiver. Lovely.

• Paid Members

I can see Punk winning but I don't think it will be a stellar match somehow (hope I'm wrong) and Cena is likely to win the Rumble. I find it hard to get excited about Rock being part of the whole event because Daniel Bryan should be at least in that place against Punk or the firm favourite for the Rumble itself. It frustrates me that he puts in a reservation for the main event of probably the second biggest PPV then disappears for months (he's got Mania booked no doubt too). Can't bear his concerts, stale promos and how he talks of himself in the third person.

Despite all that, its by far my favourite PPV of the year for the surprises, comedy moments, and seeing who's number 30. I can't wait, will stay up to watch and Monday will be a long day at work!

Sorry if you don't wanna know but

The first two surprise entrants for the 2013 Royal Rumble have been confirmed. The news leaked earlier today via the subscriber-only newsletter from PWInsider.com, before being picked up by several other sites as well.

Both men left the WWE in 2010 and are both former Intercontinental, United States and tag team champions.

Cagesideseats.com ran the details from the newsletter on their site.

The article states the two confirmed surprise entrants will be Shelton Benjamin and Carlito.

The article says:

PWInsider.com is now reporting that two surprise entrants in the Royal Rumble match scheduled for this Sun., Jan. 27, 2013, at the US Airways Center in Phoenix, Arizona, are now confirmed and both are veterans of the company.

Shelton Benjamin is one and Carlito is the other.

The annual Royal Rumble event has become a hotbed for surprise returns. The big names who showed up unexpectedly in the past include John Cena, who came back early from an injury, Diesel, Bob Backlund, Kharma and the Honky Tonk Man.

It will be great to see both men setting foot inside a WWE ring again, even if it may be a one-time thing. Cagesideseats.com notes there is no confirmation of any long-term contracts with the two having been signed.

It will be interesting to see if these two former WWE stars will get the chance to stick around for the long term. The difference between a guaranteed contract and a one-night one could mean a vast difference in what they will do in the ring.

Carlito debuted on the main roster in 2004 and defeated Cena for the United States championship the same night. Benjamin first appeared in on the main roster in 2002 alongside his tag team partner Charlie Haas.

Benjamin had been wrestling with Ring of Honor, but recently requested and was granted his release. He was grossly misused as a singles wrestler during his last stint in the WWE.

Despite winning six titles during his run, he was never given the chance to carry one of the world titles. Never mind the fact that, not only was he fluid and graceful in the ring professionally, he was just as good as an amateur. He was a two-time All-American with a 36-6 record.

Carlito is a second-generation wrestler, the son of Carlos Colon, Sr. He wrestled in his father's promotion, World Wrestling Council, and won the WWC Universal Heavyweight title many times.

Bringing these two men back for the Rumble will inject a huge dose of excitement into the somewhat predictable event this year.

But if the WWE really wanted to get fans talking, they would sign both men to contracts. The WWE is in a transitional period, whether they want to admit it or not. The big-name stars are aging and some of the newer guys just aren't ready, or well-known enough yet.

Benjamin and Carlito are nowhere near past their prime. Having them back on the roster might bring back fans that have tuned out during the PG Era.

Now that would be cool.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1502091...rprise-entrants

Excited to see Benjamin back, would love to see him back full time. Carlito, I'm not so arsed about.

Archived