Play.com to cease retail business

David

• Paid Members
Is that a serious question, Raid? I love Amazon.

Yes. I've used them in the past and still occasionally have for things like books and calendars but for DVDs and CDs have virtually exclusively used Play since I found out about them, if the same item wasn't cheaper on eBay.

• Paid Members

This news about Play.com was announced last week. The site went massively downhill from the moment they were taken over by the Rakuten group in 2011. It's annoying as fuck to use the site now, but I used to browse there almost every day and would impulse buy stuff all the time from them. I've been a loyal customer of theirs for years, so it's a shame really. Only had to deal with their customer service a couple of times and never had any issues.

Another one bites the dust.

There service has been shocking for a fair while now. Delivery is terribly slow and never any good deals. If they were providing a service they were doing in 2007 then I'd say its a shame. Otherwise good riddens.

Just to note I've been very pleased with Amazon lately. Been using the free delivery and receiving items 2-3 days later. Excellent

• Paid Members

Yeah, even with Super Saver Delivery on Amazon I don't seem to have wait very long for anything.

I had Amazon Prime for a while and while I could see the benefit, getting something the next day if you ordered before 1pm, I couldn't justify

Anybody ever used Base, Blah! or 101CD?

Not sure about the other two but I've used Base a few times to get some stuff, including CDs and DVDs for presents and I bought one of Chris Jericho's books off there cheaper than other retailer. It's free delivery as well, can sometimes take a few days to deliver but it depends on if you buy from them direct or from a trader through them

This news about Play.com was announced last week. The site went massively downhill from the moment they were taken over by the Rakuten group in 2011. It's annoying as fuck to use the site now, but I used to browse there almost every day and would impulse buy stuff all the time from them. I've been a loyal customer of theirs for years, so it's a shame really. Only had to deal with their customer service a couple of times and never had any issues.

Same here. I remember going through my "Order History" tab once, and this was years ago, and I clocked up over 1K of spending.

I can't remember once I ordered a DVD, and I got "The Sting" with Paul Newman through my door instead (blinding film). When I wrote to them, no questions asked, they just resent (or sent) the DVD I ordered. So I got the Sting for free.

As you say, they did seem to go downhill a fair bit. And their prices went up slightly, which is all it took for them to be on level with the rest of the sites out there.

• Paid Members
Play is the only place I buy from apart from Silver Vision, but I've only ever bought stuff once it's cheap so couldn't comment on their "normal" prices. Wow, this is a kicker.

Well, seems like none of you have been using them so where do I turn now? Amazon? They good?

I use The Hut quite a lot these days, CD Wow are OK sometimes. But if I'm importing Blu Rays it's usually through Amazon. Depends what your after. I tend to use DVD Ferret to find where things are the cheapest online.

Archived