Play.com to cease retail business

David

Shit just goes from bad to worse...

Home delivery games retailer Play.com will close operations in March, the company has confirmed.

The corporation will no longer trade games, DVD, CDs or various other goods directly from March onwards. However, the company will remain as a marketplace service, much like Amazon or eBay, that allows customers and indie retailers to sell content through the Play.com website.

Some 147 workers will lose their jobs at the company's Jersey facility, with another 67 going from its Cambridge and Bristol offices.

The Play.com business was thrown into disarray last year when it was ruled that the tax loopholes it was enjoying should be closed.

The Low Value Consignment Relief - which allowed Jersey-based businesses to sell items less than

• Paid Members

Play is the only place I buy from apart from Silver Vision, but I've only ever bought stuff once it's cheap so couldn't comment on their "normal" prices. Wow, this is a kicker.

Well, seems like none of you have been using them so where do I turn now? Amazon? They good?

Play is the only place I buy from apart from Silver Vision, but I've only ever bought stuff once it's cheap so couldn't comment on their "normal" prices. Wow, this is a kicker.

Well, seems like none of you have been using them so where do I turn now? Amazon? They good?

Yes. also try TheHut and Zavvi (same company) great prices but can leave you waiting.

All my dvd buys are from these 3 or ASDA, Tesco and Ebay. Depends on who FindDVD pushes me too.

Anybody ever used Base, Blah! or 101CD?

The Hut group can be awful, constantly advertising things when they have no stock then just cancelling orders although they did once send me two games instead of one for some reason. Most things i just grab from Amazon though, you can often find things dirt cheap second hand.

Discogs is the best for music (next to artists own online stores), even the rarest of the rare can be found there and i've never had trouble from a seller.

• Paid Members

My cousin and his sister-in-law work at the Cambridge office, so I'm feeling for them right now regardless of how the company has been perceived in terms of customer service. Fucking shit news to be honest. The sister-in-law just had her second baby too.

I used to love Play and would order from there monthly, but I echo what everyone else has said the past 2-3 years has seen a decline in posting speed and just in general with customer service, prices and availabilty, it has turned into Ebay fro entertainment slowly over the past few years anyway so the news wasn't that surprising.

Archived