All Japan Pro Wrestling

zenarcadian

• Paid Members
How does Cena struggle through the basics? Drawing heat? Getting reactions? That's the most basic thing of all, and he carries that off with aplomb.

It's not really basic. Drawing heat and getting reactions is actually surprisingly difficult: the few years I spent faffing about with wrestling training, I came into contact with a lot of the better veterans on the UK scene, who would sometimes mention various techniques which aren't immediately obvious to fans or rookies, and which they clearly had picked up after years of experience. It's comparatively advanced stuff, which is why Cena really is one of the best in the world.

As to the whole "struggling through the basics" thing, I can't really agree. No, his work isn't the tightest it could be, but compare it to some people on the indy scenes who are supposed to be pros, and the difference is stark. Plus, his earlier work as the Prototype tells anyone watching that he's clearly got the technical fundamentals down.

Most people here know I love puro (well, what little I can get my hands on these days), but I have to agree there isn't a single match-up that WWE would or even could realistically put on using AJPW talent outside Muta. I like Funaki, but he just doesn't fit into the US-style mould.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some familiar faces showed up at the Flair show

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Jun Akiyama, Go Shiozaki, Yoshinobu Kanemaru, Kotaro Suzuki & Atsushi Aoki formally of NOAH came to the ring during the Flair show. Akiyama shook hands with All Japan

• Paid Members

Wow, I'm really out of the loop these days. I knew SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Shiozaki had left NOAH,

but I didn't know the others had at all.

Yep they all left at the same time as soon as it was announced Kobashi was fired from his perm roster spot and then came out he was making the decision to retire.

I'd be surprised if all 5 aren't on the May Budokon Hall Kobashi retirement show.

Archived