All Japan Pro Wrestling

zenarcadian

Anyone here follow All Japan at all?

Been noticing some huge changes lately, since Keiji Muto resigned last year, not the least of which is Muto's former tag partner Masahiro Chono taking the Hulk Hogan role as advisor last week and immediately interjecting himself into match line-ups. After the rise in 2012 of young talent like Nakanoueno and Sanada, who'd seem like naturals for a feud over the Triple Crown to build a company on, is this what they want to do?

Also, there may be more than just rumours to reports of a WWE/AJPW relationship with Nash and now Flair doing one-shot deals there. Could All Japan use such a relationship to rebuild its 1990s star power and compete with NJPW/reunify with NOAH? Who would you send from WWE for seasoning in the ring, and who could AJPW send for a dream-match that could be made a big deal of in the west?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Harsh. They could send Flair back.

Isn't where Nash and Flair wrestle nothing to do with WWE? Doesn't Nash currently have a legends deal, not a performer's contract, and Flair isn't signed to anything? I find the idea of the biggest wrestling company in the world entering into an agreement with a Japanese company battling for distant second in the pecking order over there to be nonsensical. There is no WWE/All Japan relationship.

All Japan could reinvigorate their main event scene short term by going over Shiozaki. Straight away that gives you decent top billing matches with Funaki and Suwama, I suppose even Kono. Nagata seems to work anywhere at the moment, get him in for a match with Go. Masato Tanaka too. Personally the idea that Daisuke Sekimoto is not being used in a prominent position by one of the bigger companies is a joke to me, get him in straight away.

and who could AJPW send for a dream-match that could be made a big deal of in the west?

No one.

Built up the right way, there's no reason The Great Muta vs. The Undertaker wouldn't work in PG-era WWE.

Harsh. They could send Flair back.

Isn't where Nash and Flair wrestle nothing to do with WWE? Doesn't Nash currently have a legends deal, not a performer's contract, and Flair isn't signed to anything? I find the idea of the biggest wrestling company in the world entering into an agreement with a Japanese company battling for distant second in the pecking order over there to be nonsensical. There is no WWE/All Japan relationship.

All Japan could reinvigorate their main event scene short term by going over Shiozaki. Straight away that gives you decent top billing matches with Funaki and Suwama, I suppose even Kono. Nagata seems to work anywhere at the moment, get him in for a match with Go. Masato Tanaka too. Personally the idea that Daisuke Sekimoto is not being used in a prominent position by one of the bigger companies is a joke to me, get him in straight away.

Nash is tied to WWE via Legends' contract but you have to believe he has a bit more sway via HHH, ditto Flair and any future WWE agreement. Both guys are influential and well-connected, both heading to AJPW could be a test of the waters. And while the WWE entering an agreement with AJPW may seem far-fetched, consider Jamal/Umaga's progress with the company in his time there, and John Laurinaitis' connections. It may well be that an agreement with WWE would see AJPW become a developmental territory and regional booking office for WWE's Japan tours. It would be to the detriment of AJPW's historical significance to see it absorbed by WWE but those are the times, AJPW is far from what it was under Baba/Misawa. And I for one would love to see Punk/Funaki happen.

Shiozaki would do well to get in with the main event in All Japan. Doing so might even make puro supremacy a two-horse race again. Funaki, Suwama, Kono, as well as NJPW/freelance talent.

I'd love to see Toshiaki Kawada come in as part of an angle, where, as the last of the King's Road/Four Corners of Heaven, he comes in as a demented heel hellbent on restoring the All Japan of the 90s, leading to one last Triple Crown run where the legend streaks through a succession of heel challengers, leading to defeat at the hands of their next babyface, Seiya Sanada, perhaps.

and who could AJPW send for a dream-match that could be made a big deal of in the west?

No one.

Built up the right way, there's no reason The Great Muta vs. The Undertaker wouldn't work in PG-era WWE.

Both men are pretty much knackered novelty acts and Muta was only ever known in the US for his late 80's and early 90's NWA/WCW work so I don't see why WWE would want to waste their time building up a match between one of their biggest ever stars in The Undertaker and a guy there is a very good chance that the vast majority of WWE fans wouldn't know from Adam.

No one.

Both men are pretty much knackered novelty acts and Muta was only ever known in the US for his late 80's and early 90's NWA/WCW work so I don't see why WWE would want to waste their time building up a match between one of their biggest ever stars in The Undertaker and a guy there is a very good chance that the vast majority of WWE fans wouldn't know from Adam.

That would be the point of bringing him in, say mid-October, preceded by Ultimo Dragon-esque vignettes of footage from WCW. He would then terrorise jobbers until crossing Kane one night on Raw and giving him the black mist (blindness, poison, whatever), thus setting up a confrontation between them leading to a Mania match. Taker goes over obviously, but nothing stopping it from happening if booked by a knowledgeable, reasonable booking team.

No one.

That Kung Fu guy?

Don't be a smart ass, you're just making yourself look like a twat.

I'm not the one suggesting vignettes and beating up jobbers as a lead to a main event match at WrestleMania.

He's not talking about giving Curt Hawkins a push straight up into main events. It's a bona fide talented legend. If kids don't know who he is, fair enough. But all it takes is good push to make the existing character quickly recognised, and over.

I'm not the one suggesting vignettes and beating up jobbers as a lead to a main event match at WrestleMania.

Vignettes and beating up jobbers as a means of introducing a new character? What is this sorcery?

Seriously, just because you're unfamiliar with the product doesn't make it bad or even worse than WWE. In fact, AJPW's output in the ring in the '90s was better than the WWF's at the time, and you'd do well to hit it on YouTube before mouthing off.

He's not talking about giving Curt Hawkins a push straight up into main events. It's a bona fide talented legend. If kids don't know who he is, fair enough. But all it takes is good push to make the existing character quickly recognised, and over.

Exactly. Few weeks of promos, maybe some buildup, by the likes of Tensai and Tatsu turning heel in September or October, and claiming to represent a boss/Shacho figure that would turn out to be Muta, being part of his stable in the November-January buildup. This also creates a fresh team for babyfaces to take on in those months before they're fed to Taker on TV on Taker's way to Muta at Mania.

Plenty of ways it could be done and gotten behind, plenty of ways to introduce him to the kids. It would also be considerably less pressure for the Undertaker to deliver a spectacular match at Mania on his injuries to put the match mid-card and perhaps give Muta zombie-powers too, to open up the possibilities for workarounds/jiggery-pokery should either need it mid-match.

Don't be a smart ass, you're just making yourself look like a twat.

Thank you. Twats are rather lovely to look at, just like me. :love: And even though I appreciate you hitting on me, I do so dearly hope it's legit (snigger), I genuinely thought he meant the Kaientai Funaki. I'd have got behind that actually. Indeed I would have. Oh yeah, up high!

But all it takes is good push to make the existing character quickly recognised, and over.

Why give a good push to an ancient guy who's not going to be sticking around? Sorry to be all lovely and vagina like here.

Vignettes and beating up jobbers as a means of introducing a new character? What is this sorcery?

Not to be a pedant, but your 'sorcery' comment implies that I was shocked at a new idea. I wasn't. In fact I implied that it was an old fashioned idea, and not one particularly well suited to the current day WWE product. Just because you're unfamiliar with it doesn't make it bad or even worse than AJPW. In fact the WWE's output has always been pretty good, and you'd do well to hit it up on YouTube before mouthing off.

Few weeks of promos, maybe some buildup, by the likes of Tensai and Tatsu turning heel in September or October, and claiming to represent a boss/Shacho figure that would turn out to be Muta, being part of his stable in the November-January buildup. This also creates a fresh team for babyfaces to take on in those months before they're fed to Taker on TV on Taker's way to Muta at Mania.

So now we're turning people heel to create a fresh team of bayfaces, and making 'Taker wrestle on TV which he doesn't really do anymore. Rather ruining his one match a year attraction in the process. Just so we can get some old guy over?

Plenty of ways it could be done and gotten behind, plenty of ways to introduce him to the kids.

Why are we introducing the kids to someone that's not going to be around for long? Why aren't we going to introduce them to someone who is? Why are introducing them to someone anyway when we can have 'Taker face some guys who are actually on his level in the WWE Universe's eyes?

And you're right, I've never heard of this 'All Japan'. I watch nothing but the WWE. One of my foibles. In fact sometimes I don't think I'm even a wrestling fan, but thank you for educating and bettering me. I feel enlightened.

Why are we introducing the kids to someone that's not going to be around for long? Why aren't we going to introduce them to someone who is? Why are introducing them to someone anyway when we can have 'Taker face some guys who are actually on his level in the WWE Universe's eyes?

And you're right, I've never heard of this 'All Japan'. I watch nothing but the WWE. One of my foibles. In fact sometimes I don't think I'm even a wrestling fan, but thank you for educating and bettering me. I feel enlightened.

Because if All Japan are partnering up with WWE, it would make sense to do a Taker-Muta match, as a means of introducing fans to Japanese wrestlers properly if others from AJPW are to make the crossover for seasoning, etc, or if WWE's young talent is going there and coming back with these matches under their belt for DVD, etc. That being said, Punk vs. MMA legend Funaki would probably stand a better chance on a "B" PPV on a quiet month, or from the RAW tapings in Japan. There's all manner of ways a relationship with All Japan aids WWE's expansion into Asia, thus widening the WWE Universe, many of whom would not see this Undertaker fellow as being on par with their long-term legends, like Muta, or Chono until he goes over them.

Oh, and...

tumblr_mb6njlQX411qftwhy.jpg

Archived