Wales comic con Sunday April 28th 2013

Mafia Scum Scum

I've been to Wales Comic Con the past couple of years and it's a great little day out. It's basically the same as the Memorabilia shows in Birmingham if anyone's familiar with that, just on a much smaller scale (it's in the sports hall of Wrexham uni).

They still manage to get some great guests and are very reliable too - the past 2 years the guests have been announced well in advance and everyone has turned up that was advertised. In 2011 I went there and met Doug Williams and Nigel McGuiness, and because only about 1,000 people attended, there were hardly any queues and you could spend quality time with the guests for a chat and photos.

In 2012 for some reason it went crazy and 5,000 people turned up, so it was very cramped in the little sports hall. They're now spreading the 2013 one out over more than one hall, so that should improve things.

• 3 months later...

Had a great time, although due to a few things outside of the organizers control it turned into a bit of a clusterfuck. None of the staff seemed to know what was going on, other than one lass we found after over an hour of trying various staff members. So it wasn't without it's issues. We had a lot of fun meeting the wrestlers present and their Q&A was fantastic. It was also great to meet the entire Red Dwarf cast. Just a shame we only got 30 mins in the main hall day and didn't get to meet most of the other stars. As i say, this was out of the organizers control and they did the best they could given the circumstances (HUGE attendance and, from what i hear, the original photographer for the photoshoots doing one after one shoot in the morning). Will be back next year.

due to a few things outside of the organizers control it turned into a bit of a clusterfuck.

Although all of the things you cited were well within the organisers control. People should have known what was going on and where people should be at certain times, A freind of mine waited an hour in a que to pick up her printed photo only for the girl to say "Who is Nicholas Brendan?" and then they told her she wasnt going to get a printed photo on the day as promised and they would "send it to her" god knows how as they don't have any details.

Don't get me wrong it is a great show and there are some people who work really hard on it but the organisation is terrible!

due to a few things outside of the organizers control it turned into a bit of a clusterfuck.

Although all of the things you cited were well within the organisers control. People should have known what was going on and where people should be at certain times, A freind of mine waited an hour in a que to pick up her printed photo only for the girl to say "Who is Nicholas Brendan?" and then they told her she wasnt going to get a printed photo on the day as promised and they would "send it to her" god knows how as they don't have any details.

Don't get me wrong it is a great show and there are some people who work really hard on it but the organisation is terrible!

I had a chat with someone on site near the end of the day about the whole mess it became. The basics of why the photoshoots all went to hell is that apparently the woman who was meant to be doing them all disappeared after the first shoot of the day. So they had to find another photographer and rely on Boots for printing. This is why there was such a delay ahead of the Red Dwarf shoot, which led to everything running well over an hour late and the photo shoots area turning into a mess of people not knowing what the hell was going on. I agree however that the staff (not all, but the majority) should have had a better idea of who guests were and what was going on.

Your friend will be able to get her photo when they post them all up on the site in a week or so. The way it was laid out to me (all the wrestler shoots were also unavailable on the day) is that they will post all the pictures along with reference numbers. Then you email them with the reference number and address, then they'll post it out to you.

The older guy at the photoshoots and the front desk staff were easily the most helpful of the day as they all seemed to know what was going on in there area and made a point to radio through to other people to find you an answer. My biggest criticism of the whole event was the lack of signs.. anywhere..

So glad i bought a ticket though, the 4+ hr queue looked insane..

I was thinking to myself, while in the queue to get in, there was an excellent chance i'd be the only person in the whole building who'd never seen Star Wars!

Nah you weren't. Though since we queued for over 3 hours and were in the building about 35 minutes you might've been the only one in the building at that time to have never seen it.

• Moderators

The aftershow party was immense as well. Wrestling theme tunes for an hour. It went really well. Nice chatting to GarYnysMon when he came over to the table I was working, even though I felt fucking awful for the first hour or so as I had FAR TOO MUCH MONSTER.

Also gave Dustin Rhodes his first ever sausage roll which is my finest achievement.

Archived