Smackdown Spoilers

PunkStep

• Paid Members

I'm right confused about Del Rio. He turned face (to little fanfare) last month, didn't he? Because he saved Ricardo from a beating I believe. Then he wrestled on PPV in that 6-man as a face. Then on the following RAW. Then a week or two later on RAW, he ran over Santa Claus and lost to the biggest face in the company in the main event, in full-blown heel mode. Now he's a beat one of the top heels for the world title.

Have I missed something rather important with his recent character development?!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought it a little silly but he wasn't exactly 'full blown heel' on it really.

He ran over Santa. I mean if it was the Pope or something sure, but you if you run over Santa you're a heel in my book. And you stay that way.

I personally think its a strange one as us wrestling fans over here watch WWE as we love wrestling and the WWE brand. We wouldn't not tune in as Drew McIntyre isn't being pushed as a top guy and same for the likes of Wade Barrett.

This is one of the most irritating whiny posts I think I've read in ages. First of all you attribute all UK fans your smarkiness. Second of all, we love wrestling so much we barely have our own anymore while Mexico has three different promotions on television, one of which is the oldest arguably the second/third biggest promotion in the world. Sure there's different contexts there, but the passion the fans have for wrestling is obviously a major contributing reason.

I'm only going on stories I have heard. Heard that when WWE Smackdown was on the CW that they pretty much told WWE they had to put the World Heavyweight Championship on Rey Mysterio or lose the Latino market as they would not tune in unless one of their own was the champion.

• Paid Members
I'm only going on stories I have heard. Heard that when WWE Smackdown was on the CW that they pretty much told WWE they had to put the World Heavyweight Championship on Rey Mysterio or lose the Latino market as they would not tune in unless one of their own was the champion.

Eh? He'd still have the belt now if that was even close to true. You dont lose a market because someone doesn't have a bit of tin spray painted gold.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

• Paid Members

The first time he won it was to "cash in" on the Eddie Guerrero thing, and the second time he won it from Swagger, I'm fairly sure it was because he'd said he wanted the title again should he re-sign for that year. They gave him the belt for a month or two, then he dropped it to Kane.

It's because WWE have seen the "Latino audience" become more invested in the product if they have a top guy in WWE. I would presume with the Latino audience is much bigger, and more valuable the most other markets, so its a priority to have somebody in the main event picture.

I wish I hadn't read this now. I know it said there would be spoilers, but I didn't realise something had actually happened. Can't we have a little box that pops up that says something like "Are you sure you want to know what happened on Smackdown?". That way I'd at least have a chance to think better of it.

I hate myself.

Lol yeah I'd like that too, its definately asking too much though, maybe a "are you SURE you want to know what happened on Smackdown?" or "Just watch it and dont read the Spoilers, you plank" but to be fair this is a rarity, reading the spoilers is usually an activity we all partake in and nothing ever seems to happen on Smackdown apart from a decent match or two.

He ran over Santa. I mean if it was the Pope or something sure, but you if you run over Santa you're a heel in my book. And you stay that way.

POTY already. all that segment needed was hornswoggle dressed as one of the elves running in and kicking Del Rio's shins as Santa was carried away on the stretcher

• Paid Members

To me, that whole Santa episode didn't really count. It was basically a panto with heels and faces just being whoever they wanted. Del Rio and Ricardo both acted shocked and gutted when it happened, and you had people like the PTP siding with Cena against Del Rio.

Well hasn't this all happened very fast. I have to say I am pleased to see Del Rio with the title, however out of the blue its been as its given Smackdown a shot in the arm in terms of excitement and is giving me another reason to tune in this week. Alberto is a brilliant performer in the right circumstances and I honestly can't say he has ever had a bad match when a championship has been on the line.

Perhaps this would have been better executed with a little more emphasis on Del Rio becoming a good guy but I'm sure it will play out well as its fresh, Del Rio has been getting warm responses for a long time and it has put a big question mark over the World title scene heading into Wrestlemania.

Archived