Smackdown Spoilers

PunkStep

• Paid Members

A very big Smackdown this week, big enough to warrant it's own thread I feel. In addition to Rocky returning to his show after 10 years, there was a big title change as...

Alberto del Rio def. Big Show in a falls count anywhere match to win the World Heavyweight Title

Who saw that one coming?? That was massively out of the blue I feel. Full spoilers, nabbed from Gerweck.net:

Introductions for Smackdown were made. Lilian Garcia came out to what seemed like one of her own songs and she received a good reaction. JBL followed, which sadly enough did not get much of a reaction. Wow, how wrestling has changed. Garcia asked everyone to look at the screen for a video.

C.M. Punk and Paul Heyman were shown at SunLife stadium. Punk ripped UM and The Rock while holding a Rock jersey, which he put it on. Punk continued to rip The Rock and saying it was his house now. Punk reminded us it was the first time Rock has been on Smackdown in ten years.

The Rock opened Smackdown to the biggest pop of the night! Rock showed the UM sign with his hands and the fans ate it up. The Rocky chants were nonstop, which followed with The Rock saying finally The Rock has come home. The Cookie Puss chant then followed. The Rock gave a shout out to Flo Rida, who was in attendance. The Rock said how upset he was that CM Punk didn

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
A very big Smackdown this week, big enough to warrant it's own thread I feel. In addition to Rocky returning to his show after 10 years, there was a big title change as...

Alberto del Rio def. Big Show in a falls count anywhere match to win the World Heavyweight Title

Who saw that one coming??

I got something right for once??!?

Finally achieved his destiny. Well done.

I know everyone loves Big Show and he's been pretty good with the Title, but I just find him deathly dull, I still couldnt really take him seriously after that shit heel turn so I think this completely blows the Title picture out of the water, you cant really call whats going to happen at Wrestlemania now so that makes it very exciting.

Sounds like a very watchable smackdown. Im sure WWE are doing the whole revealing their own spoilers in the hope to pull in viewers much like when WCW spoiled Mick Foleys title victory. Its worked on me though as it'll be the first smackdown in about 2 years i'll be watching.

Also im not surprised with the title victory as they'd never have Ziggler beat show for the title so it seems to me that Del Rio will just be a transitional champ and Dolph will cash in pretty soon.

I can't help but pleased for Del Rio hopefully creative give him some new material to get him away from that dull ''destiny'' shite they have gave him for far too long.

It seems to be a traditional of the WWE pulling surprises at the beginning of the year such as Angle in 2006, Santino in 2012 and Del Rio this year.

Also I'm curious to find out what the attendance was like with the appearance from The Rock.

I'm guessing WWE have put the World Heavyweight Championship on Alberto Del Rio and turned him face to keep the Latino demographic happy?

I've read up on the situation with the Latino market that they only seem to be interested in watching WWE when someone of their own heritage is on and is winning and being successful. Ratings have been down with this market so the face turn of Alberto Del Rio I feel has been done to appease the Latino market to draw them back in with Rey Mysterio not been on WWE TV as regular same as Sin Cara the ratings coming from the Latino market is down and to WWE the Latino market is important to keep hold of.

I personally think its a strange one as us wrestling fans over here watch WWE as we love wrestling and the WWE brand. We wouldn't not tune in as Drew McIntyre isn't being pushed as a top guy and same for the likes of Wade Barrett.

With that being said well done to Alberto Del Rio for achieving his "destiny"

• Paid Members
I personally think its a strange one as us wrestling fans over here watch WWE as we love wrestling and the WWE brand. We wouldn't not tune in as Drew McIntyre isn't being pushed as a top guy and same for the likes of Wade Barrett.

You don't think that there would be more people in the UK likely to watch (and more media coverage) if Wade was world champion?

You don't think that there would be more people in the UK likely to watch (and more media coverage) if Wade was world champion?

My point I'm making is that us Brits watch WWE no matter what wether our own British talent are being pushed or not. I've never really thought about that though about if Wade we're to be world champion the media attention it would get here and raising the company profile over here. I guess I've always been in the mindset that the WWE dictates who we like and who they want us to like.

• Paid Members

I miss the days when Roddy Piper would be all over the UK Ramage posters and he'd be on Saturday morning shows as Scotlands homecoming hero. Piper is probably the biggest draw in the history of Scottish wrestling. You lot used to fucking love him back in 91.

I dont know ICW's budget or Piper's fee, but ICW should get Piper in for a show. Imagine if Piper came out to save Grado or some shit. The reaction Piper would get in that venue they run from the pissed up Scottish supports would be ... well ... insane.

• Paid Members

My point I'm making is that us Brits watch WWE no matter what wether our own British talent are being pushed or not. I've never really thought about that though about if Wade we're to be world champion the media attention it would get here and raising the company profile over here. I guess I've always been in the mindset that the WWE dictates who we like and who they want us to like.

You're confusing 'WWE fans' with 'wrestling fans'. Or even casual fans. There'll be plenty of Latino WWE fans who tune in no matter what, but it doesn't compare to what the figures will be like if they actually try to appeal to them.

Suggesting that Latino fans are just more whiny is a strange conclusion.

Archived