UFC on FX 7: 'Belfort vs Bisping'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I haven't voted because I don't know who to vote for, I actually think it will be a fairly close fight and good arguments can be made for both Belfort and Bisping, I have no idea which way it will go. Though as Wand and David said, the longer the fight goes on, the advantage is firmly with Bisping. I would like Bisping to win though, it would be good to see him get a title shot.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it does apply when you're going in against the ultimate cardio machine, and perennial decision winner in Bisping. If you feel yourself starting to go as far as energy goes you know that he's going to keep coming on strong, and his point-accruing boxing is second only to the Diaz brothers & St-Pierre in my opinion.

• Paid Members

But I seriously doubt Bisping can dish out what Jones did and Belfort showed no "lack of heart" there. He got beat from pillar to post. The repeated, crippling front kicks to the ribs, pushkicks to the kneecaps, a shitload of elbows and punches to the face. Plus the despair of coming up short with so many of his own punches. And he was still attacking in round 4 just before the finish.

He had the perfect opportunity to take an easy way out when Jones dropped him with the body kick. He could have just turtled up and accepted it. The Mir method of getting finished, if you will. But he kept coming out to fight what was, by that point, a losing battle.

That is heart. If he didn't lose heart under that kind of methodical, drawn out, sadistic beating then I don't see Bisping's jab-circle-jab-straight right-circle-takedown attempt-rinse and repeat strategy making him quit.

The "Belfort lacks heart" line has become a stock phrase people bring up before his fights but it hasn't actually had any merit for ages.

Its not heart that Belfort lacks.

Its defensive wrestling, cardio and diverse striking.

His striking is effective but very one-dimensional. It is very risky for Bisping, he does have a decent chin but he does have lapses in concentration which lead to him getting rocked against guys he is better than, the power that Belfort has will not let Bisping off the hook if he has one of these lapses he shows often.

Bisping's wrestling and GnP are really underrated, and I think if he uses them right he will indeed stop Belfort late on.

• Paid Members

I actually think Belfort's underrated as a complete striker. As well as his much praised boxing, he has a nice left head kick and good knees (remember what they did to Marvin Eastman?).

People will say he hasn't used them lately but it's hard to use the Thai clinch against fighters who are taller than you. You can't get the same leverage. It wouldn't have worked on Jones. And clinching with a wrestler would be a shit idea anyway. Same with kicks. Like I said he does have a good left head kick. I'm sure he threw it in the Sexyama and Liddell fights and more times which I'm forgetting. But against wrestlers throwing kicks is high risk.

Belfort's style is primarily boxing based though. But it usually works for him. He's shown he does have other weapons when he needs them.

Bisping could defo outwork Belfort to a decision. Like deathrey said on paper they match up well. But I think a lot of people are going on both guys last fights/results. There's a world of difference between Jon Jones and Brian Stann.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I am basing them both on recent years, I discount the Jones fight for obvious reasons.

You can use the clinch to knee in my opinion if fighters are a bit taller or same height, as Anderson did to Franklin and Wanderlai did to Rampage. I agree he could not use those weapons on Jones.

I am 50/50 with this fight, I think Belfort has one way of fighting these days, one gameplan and that is to try and land with his power and hand speed early on. It has worked for him greatly and it may work here.

I see him sticking to that plan throughout, he will try other things if Bisping takes him out of his gameplan, like he may try submissions if Bisping takes him down. But, taken away from a boxing match I think Bisping has the more weapons and is the more complete fighter.

Belfort wins the sprint, Bisping wins the marathon. It just depends on which one occurs.

• Paid Members

Bisping is a very good fighter and his personality is great for the sport but for me, he is the definition of the phrase "jack of all trades, master of none". He's good at everything but he's not really that great at anything. Which is fine. Forrest Griffin is the same and he won the title and holds wins over Shogun, Rampage and Tito.

But I just get this feeling every time he steps up a level that he's heading for a hiding. And I have good reason to think that because that's what's happened every other time he's stepped up a level.

And Belfort's only really been bested in the standup by the elite. Silva, Jones and prime Liddell. And the Chuck fight was razor close. I don't think Bisping can replicate that. His best route to win this fight is wrestling in my opinion. Try to tire Belfort out and take it from there.

We'll see what happens. It should be a great fight.

he is the definition of the phrase "jack of all trades, master of none".

And Belfort's only really been bested in the standup by the elite. Silva, Jones and prime Liddell. And the Chuck fight was razor close. I don't think Bisping can replicate that. His best route to win this fight is wrestling in my opinion. Try to tire Belfort out and take it from there.

The second point I agree with 100%

The first I agree with partially, his all round fighting game is decent but nothing special. However his cardio and conditioning is fantastic. His fight I.Q and mental game is suspect, he loses concentration and does not fight to his strengths some of the time, plus he fights with too much emotion, which I enjoy but could hold him back in certain scenarios. Like brawling with Jorge Rivera, which was the only way really Rivera had a slight chance.

Like you said though we shall see.

• Paid Members
The first I agree with partially, his all round fighting game is decent but nothing special. However his cardio and conditioning is fantastic.

Yeah, again, very much like Forrest Griffin. They are actually very alike in their strengths and weaknesses. Although Bisping seems more focused and enjoying MMA more than Forrest these days.

Oh and my point on people basing predictions off both guys' last fight wasn't a dig at anyone in particular. Just something I notice. I think if Belfort didn't fight Jones and fought Belcher instead as originally planned and KO'd him, a lot more people would be picking Belfort to beat Bisping. So many fans seem to base everything on the last fight.

In fact I remember when Belfort vs Bisping was rumoured for a UK card in 2009. Belfort was coming off KOing Franklin and Bisping had just got sparked by Hendo. Surprise, surprise - almost every bastard was predicting Belfort via fatality :)

The main reason I don't want to see Belfort win is because I dearly want to see Anderson face someone fresh. Bisping probably won't beat him ( at 185lbs who would though, right?) but at least it's a fresh fight, and something interesting.

I agree with Wands first point, when I think of Bisping , I never think 'his BJJ is amazing' or 'his boxing is something to write homeabout', he is pretty good at everything but doesn't excel in any particular area (other than his cardio). Personally I think if he beats Belfort which would be my preferred outcome, he has very little chance of beating Anderson

• Paid Members
I agree with Wands first point, when I think of Bisping , I never think 'his BJJ is amazing' or 'his boxing is something to write homeabout', he is pretty good at everything but doesn't excel in any particular area (other than his cardio). Personally I think if he beats Belfort which would be my preferred outcome, he has very little chance of beating Anderson

Exactly.

I agree with Dave's point though, I would like to see Anderson vs Bisping happen. I give Bisping about as much chance as a cake in Dawn French's fridge but a) it's someone new for Anderson to beat up and b) Bisping would make it into a big occasion. It wouldn't just be another fight. Bisping knows how to generate interest.

And I want to see everyone fight everyone. I still wanted Couture vs Cro Cop as late as 2010 just because I was still bitter we were robbed of it in 2007. So although I have no doubt Bisping will get schooled, I'd be disappointed if they never fight.

• Paid Members

Jacare would be great. Awesome world championship level BJJ and his wrestling and striking are very good now as well.

We've seen Anderson in some terrible fights with grapplers like Maia and Leites but Jacare is much less one dimensional than them. I think elite level grappling is the way to beat Anderson. Even that will be a huge challenge but it's clear that the alternative, striking with Anderson, is almost suicide.

I'd still pick Anderson on their current form. But it's going to take someone like a Jacare, someone who is good in all areas but has a serious, threatening ground game, to beat Anderson.

I think the only thing to beat Anderson is Father Time. I remember in regards to the second Sonnen fight, Goldberg made mention that he believed Anderson was messing with Sonnen in the first round, to which Rogan gave a reply of basically, "You're on crack, Goldie," but honestly it seemed that way with how easy Sonnen got the takedown and control, compared to how Anderson completely clowned any wrestling attempt in the second round. Plus Silva has a history of fucking with his opponents (Leites, Maia and more recently, Bonnar).

Bisping doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell against the middleweight champ, I just want to see him get owned. I think Anderson beats Belfort 9/10 times, Belfort's an explosive striker and Anderson almost made him look slow, and most definitely easy pickings.

Archived