WWE Raw 07/01/13 Discussion

NEWM

• Paid Members

I haven't watched RAW in ages but this is what i got from it (Mostly shit lookalikes...)

- I really enjoyed the Cena/Ziggler match but the calling was fucking horrible whilst there was no commentary. This just could be a download thing though.

- WTF does Kaitlyn wear? Reminds me for some reason of Bossman attitude days. BIG FAN OF EVE. Women's division is light but don't know how much it matters.

- Wade looks like Tyson Fury

- Miz looks like Spencer Pratt

- Cesaro gave Khali a "Thank you" after his win

- Brad Maddox really perked my interest in the time he was on.

- Rock/Punk was great. They worked well off each other and i think there match could spring some surprises. Punk stepping it up near the end with "Boxing with God" and "batting for the fences" stuff came across awesome.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I really enjoyed The Rock this time round. I actually thought his jokes and jibes at Punk were funny this time, better than some of the rubbish ones that he pulled out in the Cena feud. I think Punk is a much better opponent for him than Cena was when it comes to verbal exchanges, they compliment each other nicely. Will be excited to see how this pans out now.

The TLC match was great. I knew Ryback wasn't going to win, but hoped that they would keep him as strong as possible in defeat and I think they did just that. His run of losses in big matches is now a slight concern, but the fans are into him and if he comes out on top in the long term against The Shield then I think he'll still be well positioned to slot back into the title picture further down the line.

Cena and Ziggler put on a match worthy of a PPV main event in the opener.

Wow! I just watched The Rock - Punk promo. It was the most engrossed in the WWE product I've been since the Cena - Lesnar match. Punk is just phenomenal on the mic, says things that no other guy would say. The Rock was in good form apart from the weird cookie-puss stuff. They have tremendous chemistry mic wise but a certain part of me just doesn't buy a "skinny fat ass" like Punk even competing against The Rock. The mic battles are something to look forward to though!

• Paid Members

Checked the Punk/Rock promo last night, and hay to say, Loved it.

Classic stuff from the rock, as we ll expected, but with Punk's size and promo intensity he came across as the more "crazy/scary" of the two. Because of the size difference, Punk just looked like one of those guys who talks big, then stabs you when you're not looking.

Cracking promo, and has just gotten more interested in the Title match now.

Watched RAW myself, really enjoyed the Punk/Ryback match and thought it was well done. Ryback for some reason reminds me of the Ultimate Warrior. :confused:

When Rock/Punk got going it was very very good, loved the "i'm going to kick your arse" comments. Really excited for this feud, if they continue with the high standards they set on Monday it should be something special.

Just one extra thing about the Rock/Punk promo... Rock looked really amped the whole time, I remember thinking through a lot of his 2011/2012 appearances that he was kind of phoning his mic performances in, bouncing between catchphrases and Twitter plugs. That wasn't the case here, he seemed genuinely excited and amped, he had that look in his eyes (TM Chuck Liddell). He appears to be invested in this feud with Punk, and both men had a goal in mind of selling a feud and PPV match rather than tearing each other down like Rock and Cena did.

With that level of intensity, I can forgive the "Cookie Puss" and the lame set up to the candy ass line (which in itself was delivered with great intensity). Both men clearly want this to be a success, which excites me about what they can produce at the Rumble.

Just one extra thing about the Rock/Punk promo... Rock looked really amped the whole time, I remember thinking through a lot of his 2011/2012 appearances that he was kind of phoning his mic performances in, bouncing between catchphrases and Twitter plugs. That wasn't the case here, he seemed genuinely excited and amped, he had that look in his eyes (TM Chuck Liddell).

I absolutely agree. I think the common consensus was that Cena edged it last year, on the mic at least. Part of that is the fact that it was John Cena, part of that could be that 2002 Rock was always going to be a little bit rusty. I have to say that The Rock didn't look the least bit rusty here. I'm not sure who Cookie Puss so I didn't care much for that but the Rocks content has always been a little bit off-beat. The fact is that in terms of delivery, I found him to be on top form and I thought the whole segment was the best in a very long time. "Shuck and Jive" and "Punk Eye the Crackhead" were genuinely amusing as well.

Didn't want to see Ryback lose again, but wanted Punk to keep the title. As much as I enjoyed the match I feel it was perhaps a mistake as it didn't bring any closure to the Punk feud whilst delivering the result everyone more or less expected (as well as screwing Ryback, again). Hopefully he'll be back in the hunt soon enough.

Cesaro is brilliant. Aside from being a powerhouse who is a joy to watch with a great look, I'm enjoying his foreigner with the US title routine. As a midcard act with potential, I can't complain.

"Oh I've got the mic now" was another highlight. Hopefully we see more of him as I'm starting to get on board the Big E Express.

All in all a great show, fantastic opener and it set the pace nicely for the next couple of weeks, which will hopefully be a blast. Onwards and most certainly upwards from WWE.

The ever senile Superstar Billy Graham isn't happy with Punks promo:

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR CM PUNK

I watch the last hour of WWE Raw last night. It was the worst excuse for a show I have ever seen! My agent Scott is tight with legendary World Champion Bruno Sammartino. Scott has told me that WWE has been calling Brunno regularly begging him to go into the Hall of Fame. Bruno has been polite but has always said no thank you.

Tonight on RAW for the last 45 minutes of the show all they did was have CM PUNK talk, talk and more talk! The killer line came when Vince had Punk putting over his 314 straight days as world champ and then said and I quote,

A Good night especially up against the BCS National Championship game

The show averaged 4.42 million viewers for all three hours, which is a big number compared to what it has been doing. Here's the even more impressive hourly breakdown:

Hour one: 4.29 million viewers

Hour two: 4.32 million viewers

Hour three: 4.65 million viewers

Rating came in at a 3.1, the best number since 8/27, mostly for the third hour.

The Alabama blow-out of Notre Dame Monday night ended up being the second most watched show in the history of cable television, so it makes that ratings number even more impressive. With no football, next week should be higher.

• Paid Members

Can't agree with the criticisms of the end segment here. I've just watched it back for the second time and i loved it. I think it played out almost as perfectly as it could. Both guys were absolutely on. The content of both was great, Punks content especially, it all made sense. The reactions were just right, these guys know their characters and how to present them. I even enjoyed The Rocks gags and unashamedly so. Rock put Punk over tremendously too, Punks status is so much better just for that brief moment he spent in the ring with The Rock and for how The Rock painted him. At the first big step they've sold their match at the Royal Rumble tremendously. It was brilliant. I can't wait. I love The Rock. Greatest man that ever lived.

• Paid Members
That Billy Graham rant is great. Just imagine the daft old bastard fuming at his TV. If I was Punk I'd be tempted to make Sammartino jibes every week now, really play on it.

THis is the same man that fucked vince over, then came back in the most ass kissing display ive ever seen at the HOF. Now hes back on the WWE hate again.

Hes quite quite mad.

Archived