WWE Raw 07/01/13 Discussion

NEWM

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Bugger me, NEWM was right. Punk did get chance to put his shirt back on. Because they killed two minutes by, well, killing Kofi.

The show was pretty much what I expected. Punk meandered a bit with his promo, I thought, but it did what it was meant to, i.e. make Tampa want Rock to come out and shut him up. Also, pleased to hear Dr Shelby will make a re-appearance next week. Still, as a 3 hour show it's still very hard going.

My favourite wrestler on Raw at the moment is Eve. No, I'm not joking.

The two main advertised things of TLC and the Rock's return delivered like they were supposed to, but damn the rest sucked. New year, new beginnings? Not on WWE's watch. They kick off the show with Cena vs. Ziggler, a feud that's been going for about 2 months but feels like 20. Well wrestled but had a major feel of seen it before. Eve vs. Kaitlyn for the millionth time, Orton lays waste to Slater again, 3MB inexplicably get another match on Raw to get killed by Sheamus. 3MB are such a joke act that any match they're in is a foregone conclusion. Cesaro vs. Khali was another repeat, but I get why they wanted to show off the Neutralizer to more fans. Overall, just seemed like the writers/bookers phoned it in for everything but the main segments. 2 hours of crap.

I'll have to rewatch the TLC match, got a phone call and had to watch the majority on mute. Punk certainly didn't shy away from the big bumps right after surgery and it looked like a lot of fun. I did think for a moment when the lights went out that we were getting Taker.

A little sad that they've abandoned Rumble qualifiers. They always help add a little prestige to the Rumble match for me. I get why the likes of Cena, Orton and Sheamus wouldn't have to qualify, but with 3MB getting in automatically, looks like they're just arbitrarily throwing Superstars into the match.

The Punk/Rock confrontation was great. Hopefully people set their DVR's on overtime, because Rock appeared right as the overrun started. Some of Rock's insults seemed to miss the mark, but the crowd loved him anyway. He really could have tied the Popeye thing to "pipe bombs", but Rock seemed to forget exactly what the sailor had in his mouth. Regardless, it hit all the right notes of intensity, especially the closing bit with Punk vowing to kick Rock's ass. Nicely done.

• Paid Members
A little sad that they've abandoned Rumble qualifiers. They always help add a little prestige to the Rumble match for me. I get why the likes of Cena, Orton and Sheamus wouldn't have to qualify, but with 3MB getting in automatically, looks like they're just arbitrarily throwing Superstars into the match.

I'm really not. I always found them daft as anything. I really can't imagine that they have more than 30 guys worth even getting a chance to qualify, that's how piss weak the roster is.

Eh, you're probably right at this stage. Even in the mid-2000's, there was a strong enough roster to limit the amount of hopeless jabronis in Rumbles and have a strong collection of stars. The current roster also shows that we've lost quite a few strong midcarders in recent years (who could well turn up as surprise entrants this year) like MVP, Carlito and John Morrison. Compare them to guys like David Otunga, Brodus Clay and Justin Gabriel, it's really night and day. Were the roster beefier right now- and Raw/SD been more definitively split, I'd have 12 Raw Superstars, 12 SD Superstars, and 6 open spots for surprise entrants. A condition for the surprise entrants could be that they have to have held a championship in WWE- be it IC, European, tag team, whatever.

We mentioned in the Rumble review thread how many recent Rumbles suffer from "really obvious winner" syndrome. I think this could be helped if they limited the heroes of Superstars involvement in the match.

I bastard well fell asleep sometime in the second hour. The first part of the show was absolutely brutal last night. I've read the results but I don't trust them because internet folk just bum Punk anyway. I won't get to watch it till tonight, but I trust (some of) you lot, was the end segment a hit?

• Paid Members

I loved it to be honest. CM Punk's promo where he was in the ring was really good. And the Rock did what the people want the Rock to do. Its easy to slag him for his catchphrases and getting people to chant "CookiePuss" at Punk, but if the fans lap it up and people buy the PPV thats all they want. You can make well crafted points in a 20 minute promo or you can say something ridiculous and get a huge reaction. Its apples and oranges for me. You only have to read twitter to see people saying "Punk won/Rock won", but that wasnt the point of it. Its two big names with two completely different styles. Its why the Michaels/Bret promos always worked. I think I actually laughed when Rock said the words "your straight edge scrotum" I'm ashamed to say. The Rock Bottom at the end was a bit strange. I was expecting a repeat of 2002 when he Rock Bottomed Hogan and the nWo ran down and left him laying.

They could totally rebuild Ryback if they keep him off TV for the next few weeks. If Ryback returns as the Shield are giving Rock a kicking and beats up all four of them setting up a Rock title win that could make him out to be a proper big deal.

• Paid Members
I think I actually laughed when Rock said the words "your straight edge scrotum" I'm ashamed to say.

Yeah, that bit was gangbangers. The bigger shame for me was laughing at "Punkeye the Crackhead.... TOOT TOOT!" I have a feeling "TOOT TOOT!" is going to follow me and my mate around for a bit the same way Booker's schoolbus pulling up and "HONK HONK!" when Rocky first met Big Daddy Cool did.

I'veonly caught a few clips on Youtube, but enjoyed the Ziggler - Cena match immensely. They have great chemistry. Regarding the Orton - 3MB segment. What the hell did Orton mean when he said to Slater " After our match you're not going to be playing the air guitar any longer, you'll be playing the harp." I'm assuming it's something crude?

Cenz/Ziggler was a good start to the show, the Punk/Ryback TLC match was fun and the Punk/Rock promo at the end was great. Everything in between was basically squash matches so got skipped.

The Punk/Rock promo really got me excited for their match though. They're two completely different types of wrestlers so it works well. I like how Punk said that he didn't care how many times a year Rock decides to show up. I was fearing that they'd tread the same water they did with the Cena feud but thankfully, they're not.

Punk's promo before Rock came out was great and I liked how he said that him turning face was a ruse all along to make it to the top. Rock came out and his did his usual stuff, which was very entertaining. It worked well and more than made up for the rest.

I'veonly caught a few clips on Youtube, but enjoyed the Ziggler - Cena match immensely. They have great chemistry. Regarding the Orton - 3MB segment. What the hell did Orton mean when he said to Slater " After our match you're not going to be playing the air guitar any longer, you'll be playing the harp." I'm assuming it's something crude?

Angels play harps, so I assume he means he'd be dead. It was tenuous at best.

Archived