WWE Signs Another Top Indy Talent

diamond_dust

I suspected "Okada to WWE" to be bollocks, and it looks like it is. One of the locals "in the know" has told the guy that runs Strong Style Spirit that he's staying, but moreover they've announced the cards for the February tour which of course is beyond the 31/01 date when the contracts get renewed, and Okada is on them all. I'm guessing they wouldn't advertise him if they weren't sure he'd said no to WWE, if indeed a deal was ever offered. Would have been a stupid move for him anyway. Expensive relocation and transformation into another Yoshi Tatsu comedy character or salt-throwing stereotype like Kenzo Suzuki, working more days per year for (I imagine) less money than he'll earn as one of New Japan's top 3 stars.

Earlier today, in an interview with the Tokyo Sports newspaper, Okada said he's signed a new contract with New Japan.

And yes, you are correct about the working less dates part too. Last year New Japan ran about 120 shows, which is less shows than TNA, let alone WWE.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very few people in TNA are working 120 dates. If any.

Didn't say anyone does (even though there have been some who have). I just said TNA run more shows than that, so in theory you can work more dates.

EDIT - Just as an example, Jeff Hardy wrestled 115 matches last year in TNA (while Okada had 111 in New Japan). Throw in Hardy's non-wrestling appearances and you're probably looking at something like 125-130 dates altogether.

• Paid Members
Didn't say anyone does (even though there have been some who have). I just said TNA run more shows than that, so in theory you can work more dates.

EDIT - Just as an example, Jeff Hardy wrestled 115 matches last year in TNA (while Okada had 111 in New Japan). Throw in Hardy's non-wrestling appearances and you're probably looking at something like 125-130 dates altogether.

When you say wrestled 115 times, are you counting the days of tapings TNA did for the first 5 months of 2012, where he'd wrestle a few times per taping to fill up the weeks they are airing it? Because a days worth of tapings counts as one appearance under the contracts they were signing Flair and Hardy to back in 2010. Or the occasions he wrestled several times on Impact and PPV? I was talking about dates not matches. Hardy missed the UK tour as well. And they cancelled a shit load of house shows as well. I'd be stunned if he did 115 individual appearances in 2012.

Opening this up a bit, but... who IS a good prospect on the Indies nowadays? Who's charismatic, who's built like a brick shithouse and can wrestle, who's got a famous daddy?

Inform me :)

When you say wrestled 115 times, are you counting the days of tapings TNA did for the first 5 months of 2012, where he'd wrestle a few times per taping to fill up the weeks they are airing it? Because a days worth of tapings counts as one appearance under the contracts they were signing Flair and Hardy to back in 2010. Or the occasions he wrestled several times on Impact and PPV? I was talking about dates not matches. Hardy missed the UK tour as well. And they cancelled a shit load of house shows as well. I'd be stunned if he did 115 individual appearances in 2012.

Sure, Hardy wrestled two matches in one night on 4 or 5 occasions but he still worked a shitload of dates [by TNA standards] last year, more than he ever has in TNA actually. The guy really stepped up last year and busted his ass for the company in order to redeem himself after the Victory Road fiasco. Since I made the original post I went back to check out some TNA statistics (which I posted here) and I now realise my original estimation was too high. It wasn't 125-130 but he definitely worked in the neighbourhood of 110-120 days last year.

Also, just as a sidenote, last year TNA ran in the neighbourhood of 150-160 live events (that includes TV tapings, PPVs and house shows). Granted, no one in TNA works all the shows but still if you're a full-time top guy the chances are you're working around 100 dates per year, and select few guys work 100+ dates.

Opening this up a bit, but... who IS a good prospect on the Indies nowadays? Who's charismatic, who's built like a brick shithouse and can wrestle, who's got a famous daddy?

From what I have seen of recent ROH, Michael Elgin may be one to look out for who has a chance with WWE or TNA. He's a chunky brute but is a shade under 6 ft and has a bit of a mullet going on which could do with the chop. Obviously there is a chance that this won't necessarily hold him back these days though.

From the two ROH matches I have seen of him, that Mike Bennett bloke looks great, he has a great look (especially for a ROH wrestler) seems pretty charismatic and is a solid enough wrestler. He probably wouldn't have to spend long down in FCW and if they wanted to bring Maria back as his valet, she certainly would add to his total package.

Has the WWE ever looked at Karl Anderson from NJPW? unlike most of their gaijin heavyweights he's not a massive guy but he's a good wrestler and from the little I've seen on youtube he can cut a pretty good promo, he just needs to ditch that shooting the fake machine gun thing he does.

• Paid Members
Opening this up a bit, but... who IS a good prospect on the Indies nowadays? Who's charismatic, who's built like a brick shithouse and can wrestle

Chris Masters.

Anyway, Mike Bennett is a very good shout as far as RoH guys go. When I saw RoH last year he was the one that stuck out from the pack. Probably had something to do with Maria Kanellis being part of his act, but he seemed to tick all of the boxes for what WWE look for in a wrestler.

mikebennettbio.png

Konnan said the Samurai rumour is bullshit as he's under contract to AAA.

As much as Konnan's probably not the most trust worthy source I was a bit sceptical about that one from the start really. He's just not the most logical choice if they're looking for the next Rey, at least not to me.

• Paid Members

Last word on Okada, translated from Purolove.

"Around the time of this year's Tokyo Dome show from New Japan Pro Wrestling rumors circulated that World Wrestling Entertainment was interested in signing Kazuchika Okada. These rumors were further fueled by the fact that Okada himself in interviews signalled his intention to try again in the States after his less than successful trip to Total Nonstop Action.

Okada has issued a denial concerning these rumours. The former IWGP Heavyweight Champion went on record that the rumours made him feel uncomfortable and that he was sent his contract by New Japan as early as 14th December last year and subsequently extended it until 31.12.2014. In an interview with Tokyo Sports he could not resist a little swipe at WWE : while he was upset about the rumours concerning him, he was sure that the WWE was upset that he didn't even want to negotiate with them."

2014? There was me thinking they only ever renewed for one year at a time.

• Paid Members

I haven't seen him for a while, but I would strongly suggest Yoshino from DragonGate. Yes, he's spotty as hell, but he's got a great look, and a very unique gimmick, being that he's super-fast to almost warp-speed levels. When he showed up for a World X Cup in TNA, he got some great reactions out of the crowd just by running the ropes.

EDIT: Also, another one springs to mind - Adam Pierce. Used to hate the guy, but his stuff on NWA Hollywood has been excellent. Does a pretty good old-school, robe-wearing, pile-driver-using heel, and his promos are pretty good too. He's almost like a cross between Flair, Lawler and Stone Cold.

• Paid Members

I haven't seen him for a while, but I would strongly suggest Yoshino from DragonGate. Yes, he's spotty as hell, but he's got a great look, and a very unique gimmick, being that he's super-fast to almost warp-speed levels. When he showed up for a World X Cup in TNA, he got some great reactions out of the crowd just by running the ropes.

He is exciting to watch, but would he work in WWE? You can't just come in working that 100mph spotfest style, you have to adapt. Can he slow it right down and tell a story in a five minute TV match? I'm not so sure, but he's probably talented enough to pick it up. A highly unlikely acquisition in any case.

Wouldn't be against them taking a look at Adam Pearce, that's a decent shout.

Archived