The Let's Get Healthy in 2013 Thread

nfc90210

• Paid Members

I and lot of my fellow UKFFers, judging from the resolutions thread, seem to hold aspirations of using the changing calendar as impetus to get healthy (or healthier, anyway) So, with this in mind I have started this thread where we can document our progress or lack of progress. Whichever turns out to be the case.

I intend to start my journey toward a healthier me in the morning. Over the festive period I have, through mince pies and what not, been consuming an horrific amount of sugar and calories in general. If I continue on the way I

• Paid Members

As a treadmill slob I want to consistently run 9.6kmph+ for 10min warmup each session or interval runs of 12kmph+ on Cardio day. I want to do a proper chin-up by the end of 2013, and I want to bench anywhere near 100kg as well, while getting a proper rhythm going per exercise - I'm currently doing 20X2 (lower 2-count, no wait, explosive lift, 2-count wait) but I feel while I can lift 10kg dumbells easily, the lift isn't explosive enough.

I am getting wed in June and I am currently tipping the scales at just over 18 stone. I am 6 foot 2 inches so I dont look like a complete fat knacker but I am aiming to shed 3 stone. I have procureed some new running shoes and I have planned a mile circuit course round the area I live in and I plan to run one circuit 5 days a week. Fortunately where I live my estate backs on to the start of the Yorkshire Moors and I aim to climb Eston Nab twice a week with the dog.

Another thing I am considering is issuing an open challenge to my friends on facebook to ask me to take them on in a sporting challenge like squash or badminton or something of that ilk.

After tonight I wont be drinking booze until my stag party and eating more healthy stuff. The problem is I love my cheese and that will be my biggest challenge! Sorry for my drunken nonsense!

• Paid Members

Should all buy a bicycle. Most of them go for very cheap on Gumtree. Probably knocked off though, but it's a tremendous form of exercise and good for getting you about.

If you've got an Android phone, I'd get one of those "Walkometer" things that record your walking stats too. According to that, I walked over 10 miles yesterday outside. Good stuff.

I dropped a stone and a half in the first half of last year and seem to have successfully stayed at a healthier weight, although I've put a good half stone back on in the last couple of months (it is the festive season after all!).

Definitely looking to have an active and healthy January, starting with a brisk walk in the park today and tomorrow, followed with a trip to the gym on Thursday and Friday. Will hopefully motivate myself to cycle the 30 miles home from my mum's on Sunday too.

• Paid Members

Cardiotrainer is very good for cycling on Android. Using GPS it will record a map of your workout and based on your speed, distance and altitude works out how many calories burned (roughly, I'd imagine). Gives decent stats, such as top speed, average speed, total climb and can play music through the app to rather than opening a separate music player app. You can use it for many other exercise forms, too. And it's free.

Another good app which I have already pimped in other threads recently is myfitnesspal. It helps you keep track of how much you are consuming a day. It is very simple to use, you just need to put in your age, weight, height and sex, then tell it how many pounds you want to lose a week and it then calculates how many calories you are allowed to consume in a day.

Again, as I have mentioned before, simply not going over my daily allowance coupled with light exercise I lost a stone in just over two months. Had I upped my exercise I know I would have lost more.

• Paid Members

My Fitness Pal is awesome, great little app.

Due to my illness my health drive is currently diet based, hopefully that will change if my new treatment works. I aim to get back on P90X and modify it to my needs and ability, my main priority is strength training as I'm so weak at the best of times (there is still muscle there but my brain just doesn't get the messages to them) so the stronger I am the better my body can support itself.

As for the weightloss side of things I've just got a stone to go (I'm 6st 13lb down so far) and I think that's easily achievable even with my complications.

I've got a 10k and a Half Marathon on the go this year, but I'm at my tubbiest. It doesn't worry me as I've previously flabbed my way round the Great North Run twice, but I'm just a lazy cunt with eating which offsets any good training I do. I might just start a regular weigh in schedule and use this thread to get judged by all you lot if I let myself down. Good luck everybody with your goals.

• Paid Members

Would swimming be an option for you Kook? Great exercise and it's relatively low impact.

Like I said in the Resolutions thread, just focusing on lowering my shit food and drink intake (I'm a sucker for gummy sweets and ice cream...and Guiness). And getting back in a routine of regular exercise.

Nothing drastic, just a few small, realistic changes which I'm more likely to stick to long-term.

• Paid Members
Would swimming be an option for you Kook? Great exercise and it's relatively low impact.

Like I said in the Resolutions thread, just focusing on lowering my shit food and drink intake (I'm a sucker for gummy sweets and ice cream...and Guiness). And getting back in a routine of regular exercise.

Nothing drastic, just a few small, realistic changes which I'm more likely to stick to long-term.

Swimming would be great, but my problem is I'm not allowed to go by myself incase my symptoms go nuts and no one around me is able to join me :(

• Paid Members
Is anyone watching Fat and Proud? It's infuriating me.

"You can be really fat and still be healthy"

You can actually. In the short-term at least. Obviously it's not the best thing though. At my heaviest I had no medical problems - no signs of diabetes, heart disease, my blood pressure was fine, my cholestorol levels were good, I did two marathons and I had no weight-related problems. I was just fat. Still am but I'm working on it.

I've lost 32lbs (before Christmas) and will continue with this in 2013. I have a gym induction on Thursday and an going to join the local swimming pool once I get a new costume. I already eat a lot healthier than I used to so just need to continue and keep up my motivation which has been pretty much non-existent in the past.

Archived