The Ultimate Fighter 17: 'Team Jones vs Team Sonnen'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think Dana knows exactly what's going on Dave. Given the declining ratings of the show & the money involved the way this series is produced & the behaviour of the talent will be heavily managed.

Maybe the UFC thought that Sonnen doing his gimmick throughout would be too much? Maybe Sonnen thought him acting like that wouldn't win him any favours with the blokes he's training? Has that gimmick run it's course? Whatever the reasoning I've no doubt that everyone involved knew what they were getting.

• Paid Members

i think people are completely mis-reading Sonnen...if anyone has really followed him recently i don't think anyone would think Sonnen would be cranking out the schtick when training his guys, Sonnen's all business when it comes down to actual training and fighting. I imagine Chael's talking head segments to be some top stuff though.

I think Dana knows exactly what's going on Dave. Given the declining ratings of the show & the money involved the way this series is produced & the behaviour of the talent will be heavily managed.

Maybe the UFC thought that Sonnen doing his gimmick throughout would be too much? Maybe Sonnen thought him acting like that wouldn't win him any favours with the blokes he's training? Has that gimmick run it's course? Whatever the reasoning I've no doubt that everyone involved knew what they were getting.

Hopefully that's it.

• Paid Members

I fully expected Chael to be all business when it comes to coaching and training his team, so that's no surprise. But I have been surprised just how pally they've seemed the few times we've seen them together so far.

Sonnen's all business when it comes down to actual training and fighting. I imagine Chael's talking head segments to be some top stuff though.

This is an excellent point though. The Meltzer quote will be on about what went on during filming at the gym. There was never likely to be a Ken-Tito pull-apart or anything anyway. The talking heads will be edited in after the fact and Meltzer's source probably wasn't accounting for that. I'm guessing that's where Chael will shine.

I'm sure it will be a very entertaining season when we watch the finished product.

• Paid Members

Well I'll be buggered.

I'm getting married in the next few months and we are planning a 3 week trip across the US mid April for our honeymoon. I'm currently in the planning stages but New York is the last leg of the trip. After including Chicago, train across the US, Salt lake City, Yellowstone, San Fran, Yosemite, Vegas and the Grand Canyon we go to NY on April 27th for 5 nights.

Now, in the back of my mind I thought I could perhaps conincide it with a UFC event in Vegas, but fudge me, it looks like Jones vs Sonnen will be taking place in New Jersey that very night we get to New York.

The major problem is, can I do that to my then wife? The very first night in the greatest city in the world, telling her "erm, yeah, forgot that nice restaurant on our very first night, lets take a trip to New Jersey and watch sweaty men beat the living shit out of each other!"

Genuine question, is this possible or will it be worth the grief?

• Paid Members

Ah man, that's a tricky one. New Jersey being so close to New York makes it almost too good an opportunity to pass up. I take it she knows the strength of your love for Chael P Sonnen? It's only one night after all, you'll still have the rest of the 3 weeks to make it up to her.

Good luck with that. I know if it was me in your position and either Wand, Shogun or Nog were fighting within travelling distance, honeymoon or not, my girlfriend would know it wouldn't be worth the sulking I'd be doing if she stopped me attending :laugh:

Congrats on the impending marriage as well. Yeah, I'm no help. I wouldn't have a clue the best way to broach the question, sorry.

When did you go green lamby? Didn't notice until now that you were a paido.

Well I'll be buggered.

I'm getting married in the next few months and we are planning a 3 week trip across the US mid April for our honeymoon. I'm currently in the planning stages but New York is the last leg of the trip. After including Chicago, train across the US, Salt lake City, Yellowstone, San Fran, Yosemite, Vegas and the Grand Canyon we go to NY on April 27th for 5 nights.

Now, in the back of my mind I thought I could perhaps conincide it with a UFC event in Vegas, but fudge me, it looks like Jones vs Sonnen will be taking place in New Jersey that very night we get to New York.

The major problem is, can I do that to my then wife? The very first night in the greatest city in the world, telling her "erm, yeah, forgot that nice restaurant on our very first night, lets take a trip to New Jersey and watch sweaty men beat the living shit out of each other!"

You're coming at it all wrong here man. Think about it this way, your new wife is travelling to the US with her new husband. On the very first night she hits New York she has the chance to give him something that he'll never, ever fucking forget.

How would you react if the roles were reversed? Imagine that something she really loves is happening live on the night you hit the city. Would you pull out all the stops to make sure she has a night she'll remember forever?

I know from experience that my missus would do all she could to make sure I get to that event, simply because she knows how much it would mean to me. My advice to you is this, tell her about the event and when it's happening. She obviously knows you love MMA, and she should react the same way my missus would.

If she doesn't, then get shot of her. She's not the one for you ;)

• Paid Members
Ah man, that's a tricky one. New Jersey being so close to New York makes it almost too good an opportunity to pass up. I take it she knows the strength of your love for Chael P Sonnen? It's only one night after all, you'll still have the rest of the 3 weeks to make it up to her.

Good luck with that. I know if it was me in your position and either Wand, Shogun or Nog were fighting within travelling distance, honeymoon or not, my girlfriend would know it wouldn't be worth the sulking I'd be doing if she stopped me attending :laugh:

Congrats on the impending marriage as well. Yeah, I'm no help. I wouldn't have a clue the best way to broach the question, sorry.

When did you go green lamby? Didn't notice until now that you were a paido.

Cheers Wand.

Unfortunately she isn't aware of my man crush on good ole CPS. All she knows is I love MMA. She hasn't even watched one event with me, she simply isn't into fighting. Works for me really as she's a staff nurse so I get all the MMA I want when she works her shifts.

I'm simply going to say it to her and she what she says. It's a shame it's not in Vegas as she actually said "see if there's a fight happening during that time". Vegas is all about over the top antics etc. However, this is New York City, the pinnacle of the whole trip. I don't know if I could do it!

"Paido" haha. It wasn't to do with having extra privileges, I certainly won't be changing names etc etc. I was simply feeling that I should give something to the site that day. It was the same day I gave a small donation to Wikipedia too. I just thought I use these two sites so much for info regarding MMA and there isn't a single ad on any of them. I just felt that I should really give something small to help both of them stay up in the future, ensuring that I continue the MMA chat with all you good gents.

David, I agree with what you are saying regarding the part of what she should do for me. It's not that she wouldn't do it, if I asked her, she would say yes without question. It's more related to my guilt with the whole thing.

David, I agree with what you are saying regarding the part of what she should do for me. It's not that she wouldn't do it, if I asked her, she would say yes without question. It's more related to my guilt with the whole thing.

Fuck guilt man, you're going to be a married couple. Go to the UFC, have a great time, then make sure to do something that she really loves while you're there too. Even if it's something you're not keen on, you should get all the fun & satisfaction you need from the very idea that she's having a great time, and the same should be the case with your UFC event.

Well I'll be buggered.

Why not weigh the trip up, so she gets to do things that she will enjoy more than you in the majority of cities, then when you see UFC it evens itself out.

Congrats on the Marriage by the way :thumbsup:

• Paid Members
Well I'll be buggered.

Why not weigh the trip up, so she gets to do things that she will enjoy more than you in the majority of cities, then when you see UFC it evens itself out.

Congrats on the Marriage by the way :thumbsup:

Cheers Jim,

Believe you me, she has enough of her things e.g. the walks through all the parks etc. Looks like the plans are changing anyway now as we think we may need more time in a couple of places that may result in arriving in NY slightly later. :cry:

Archived