The Ultimate Fighter 17: 'Team Jones vs Team Sonnen'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sonnen has brought in Magalhaes, Dolce & Hendo, whilst Jones has brought in no one from Jacksons? What's going on there? Going from what I've seen thus far, and also going on the fact that I put more stock in the coaching team than I do the actual coaches I think I'd rather be on team Sonnen. I'd like to think that when the cameras aren't in his face that Sonnen is the kind of wrestling-based coach that I think he could be, which would instantly put him above Jon Jones.

It sounds like it'll be a good season, even if the coaches fight promises to be a whitewash!

• Paid Members

I've just realised, you can clearly see the name of the rumoured 'making people shit themselves' fighter Dana was on about, in the very link I posted. Ha.

Whatever, it's not a spoiler, the article is total guesswork. It's Sweden's Tor 'The Hammer' Troeng who is the rumoured cause of soiled pants in the TUF house. It will be interesting to see how he looks.

I get what you mean on the coaching staff Dave but it doesn't always work out like that. Remember TUF Brazil? Wandy had Werdum, Babalu, Cordeiro, Dida and Belfort trounced his team in one of the most one sided TUFs ever. Some of these guys might be unheralded genuises behind the scenes at Jackson's or whatever. Fuck knows? I thought the same as you initially but I'd guess Jones hasn't chose anyone without running it by Greg Jackson and Mike Winklejohn first. If they've approved then these guys must be good.

I get what you mean on the coaching staff Dave but it doesn't always work out like that. Remember TUF Brazil? Wandy had Werdum, Babalu, Cordeiro, Dida and Belfort trounced his team in one of the most one sided TUFs ever. Some of these guys might be unheralded genuises behind the scenes at Jackson's or whatever. Fuck knows? I thought the same as you initially but I'd guess Jones hasn't chose anyone without running it by Greg Jackson and Mike Winklejohn first. If they've approved then these guys must be good.

Yeah, I'm not talking about winning the actual fights, but more what you can actually pick up working with these guys. Thw inning/losing of the fights is a crapshoot pretty much when you consider how long they have to prepare and the like.

Sonnen has brought in Magalhaes, Dolce & Hendo, whilst Jones has brought in no one from Jacksons? What's going on there? Going from what I've seen thus far, and also going on the fact that I put more stock in the coaching team than I do the actual coaches I think I'd rather be on team Sonnen. I'd like to think that when the cameras aren't in his face that Sonnen is the kind of wrestling-based coach that I think he could be, which would instantly put him above Jon Jones.

It sounds like it'll be a good season, even if the coaches fight promises to be a whitewash!

You have to be under contract to train under Jackson right? Can't see him just giving his trainers away for a Ultimate Fighter season.

Edit:

THIS! is one of the most insane fights in the history of the UFC. Yes we know Bones isnt the draw he's suppose to be with his reign, but putting him with a LOSER and Cheal hasnt even fougth a fight in the LHW div. Really baffeling that people bitch and moan about Rousey main eventing and Diaz getting a shot (short version: also weird but the champ has a grudge so yeah, let him)

I'm not looking forward to this fight because it doesnt make sense in my mind. And they're gonna a do a season of UF with this? And they're now suppose to be best friends? How could this have gone any worse? I'M BAFFLED.

• Paid Members

scanning the rumored list of fighters, only 4 jump out...

Fraser Opie who's fought in BAMMA

Luke Barnatt who's been walking through guys on the UK scene (he's English)

Kevin Casey who is gonna make for some interesting TV, he's a Gracie fighter and he's cocky as fuck, i hadn't heard from him since he was humbled by Matt Lindland a couple of years back though.

Zak Cummings who ive seen pop up on several shows over the years.

This is gonna be some good shit.

• Paid Members

You'll have defo seen Nik Fekete as well Ebb. He was on the receiving end of Richard Hale's inverted triangle in Bellator. The second inverted triangle in Bellator after Imada's on Masvidal.

And Jacob McClintock lost to Brent Weedman in Bellator so you might have seen him.

Can't say I'm familiar with the UK fighter. I'm well out of the loop on the UK scene. And yeah, the Lindland fight is where I know Casey from. He has the kind of personality that should ruffle some feathers.

• Paid Members

Ha, I'm usually the opposite. I'll recognise names but won't have seen them. Like McClintock here, I'd seen Fekete just because the finish got a lot of play online but these 2 were before my time as a proper Bellator follower so I don't know much about them.

I've been reading about this Tor Troeng and he does sound like one to watch. Bit of a nasty bastard. We'll see. He might be Philippe Nover 2.0 so jury's out but my interest is piqued either way.

It's weird how it's taken a while for these European fighters to really break through in the US. But over the last couple of years we've been seeing a steady rise with the likes of Struve, Gustafsson and Miocic making waves. And more recently Gunnar Nelson, Rustam Khabilov and Nurmagomedov and the Russians in Bellator like Koreshkov and Vasilevsky among others.

The UFC are focusing on Brazil, Mexico, China and India this year from what I'm reading. But places like Russia, Sweden, Holland and Poland could be dark horses for future MMA talent.

It's weird how it's taken a while for these European fighters to really break through in the US. But over the last couple of years we've been seeing a steady rise with the likes of Struve, Gustafsson and Miocic making waves.

Miocic is American born and bred, Wand. He only has Croatian heritage. ;)

• Paid Members

whilst we're on the subject of nationalities, was it ever explained why the UFC completely ignored Ricco Rodriguez Mexican heritage when they pimped Cain as the 'first Mexican Heavyweight Champion'...we've talked about it before but i dont think we ever got to the botrom of it.

whilst we're on the subject of nationalities, was it ever explained why the UFC completely ignored Ricco Rodriguez Mexican heritage when they pimped Cain as the 'first Mexican Heavyweight Champion'...we've talked about it before but i dont think we ever got to the botrom of it.

Because it wouldn't fit with them pushing Cain as the man to take them into the Mexican market?

• Paid Members

Yeah that's kind of thrown ice on the fire before it even starts airing. I was hoping that once Chael's competitive nature took over he'd start trying to play the mind games. I mean, I'm glad he comes off well on the show and it's great that it seems like he's showing a more professional side as a coach but, for a TV show, Chael's schtik would have worked brilliantly in the TUF setting.

Oh well, at least it sounds like the fights are much better this season and as much as I've fallen for Dana's hype bullshit before and I should know better, I'm very intrigued by this guy they keep banging on about.

Archived