Raw Spoilers 31/12/12

Callum1993

• Paid Members
I'm not sure Zigglers performance at the end met the occasion, looked a trifle shaky and things only really picked up when Cena came out. For me, Cena could well be the greatest of all time on the mic. Even when the gloves are off he never seems to come away looking like the other guy was the better man.

You're having a laugh, right? Ziggler was totally on the money. Cena came out and had a tantrum. Best of all time my arse. His babyface character is essentially being a twat and making shit jokes that don't come off. What's to cheer? Anyway, I don't to turn this into another Cena debate. We'll just have to agree that you're wrong :laugh:

Cena is either acting like the teenager that he looks like or losing his rag like someone crapped in his Reebok Pumps. So boring to think we'll have another year of it if he does win the Rumble.

There's little mileage left in the Cena debate and I can well understand why he grates on people, he grates on me. There's nothing wrong with an objective appraisal of somebody you don't personally enjoy though. I'm not talking about the weekly filler stuff, I'm talking about in a important, high level verbal confrontation with anyone, past or present he can not only hold his own, but also deliver fascinating TV.

And yes, I did think Ziggler stumbled over a few lines and looked a little bit nervous.

There's little mileage left in the Cena debate and I can well understand why he grates on people, he grates on me. There's nothing wrong with an objective appraisal of somebody you don't personally enjoy though. I'm not talking about the weekly filler stuff, I'm talking about in a important, high level verbal confrontation with anyone, past or present he can not only hold his own, but also deliver fascinating TV.

And yes, I did think Ziggler stumbled over a few lines and looked a little bit nervous.

Over the last year or two, Cena proved himself to be much better than The Rock, who a lot of people consider wrestling's best talker ever. So he's definitely in with a shout for best of all time on anyone of sound mind's list for the way he raises his game when it matters. I thought he was pretty annoying in the main event bit on this Raw though. For shit like this, he can be very hit or miss. I always hate the shit/slime drops as well.

I'm always desperately trying to be objective about Cena though, that's the thing. He's supposedly the top babyface in the company, I want to get behind him. To me he fluctuates between impossibly dull or acutely irritating. That's a dispassionate observation.

I think it's something in his delivery. It's very polished, it doesn't sound forced in the way a Kofi Kingston or Zack Ryder does, it's just too...clean. He never says anything witty or clever or interesting, all the sentences just bleed into one long shit eating grin and then I've passed out due to alcohol to ease the pain of having to listen to him.

Also looking at Ziggler's win ratio, did he really need to bury him on the mic?

Sometimes when something has been addressed on screen that hasn't had any focus before (Cena bringing up the fact that Ziggler isn't exactly fresh out the academy) it can bury people, but sometimes when you mention the elephant in the room in Wrestling it can take things up a notch and actually progress matters/careers. I don't think bringing up the fact Dolph used to be a caddy is going to affect his momentum anymore than Cena having a train crash of a year is going to affect his career. Stop/start momentum and downright ridicule can bury a performer, I'm not always convinced an element of truth is a bad thing though.

Thought RAW was actually quite good, though I must admit I'm not overly keen on Del Rio being back in the hunt for the World Heavyweight Title (which is the direction it looks like it's going) so quickly again. Also didn't see the point in it being Del Rio to run down Father Christmas last week if they're trying to get him over as a face - ah well that's the past. His speech with Ricardo was the usual face turn of nobody should treating you like shit Ricky, not even me etc etc.

Not surprised to see Barrett win as they need something to do with him because at the minute (without the title) he's not really got any direction. At least this will change things up a bit for Barrett and give Kofi another chance of forming another meaningless tag team to become champions once more. After hearing Khali won the battle royal to face Ceasaro, I'd hate the WWE to have that title change hands - it keeps Ceasaro not having an American beating him but Khali. In the words of Miz - really? Really? Really? Hitting the neautraliser on Khali would do wonders for Ceasaro though. I'd actually like to see Kofi and Ceasaro have a feud.

The Shield storyline just gets better. This is the time I'd like to see them bring in another member though. Just as the WWE roster thinks they've evened up the sides with Orton, Ryback and Sheamus - The Shield come in with a fourth member (Brad Maddox maybe?) to keep the advantage.

Hornswoggle as a baby? Not funny in the slightest. King's comment about almost being sorry his life had been saved after seeing that - possibly the funniest line he's had in the whole year.

On the Cena thing, I actually find most of his promos too repetitive. It's like he's reading the same script every time he cuts a promo. He won't give up - we get it. It's about hustle, loyalty, respect - we get it. He can't lose - we get it. That's why he's become boring and stale as of late because it's the same promo for god knows how long, usually ending with his voice getting considerably louder at the end. At least when he used to "rap" and run down people that way it was slightly different each time and funnier.

• Paid Members
Hitting the neautraliser on Khali would do wonders for Ceasaro though.

He could as well. He hasn't really had chance to show it yet, but he's one strong bloke.

The Shield storyline just gets better. This is the time I'd like to see them bring in another member though. Just as the WWE roster thinks they've evened up the sides with Orton, Ryback and Sheamus - The Shield come in with a fourth member (Brad Maddox maybe?) to keep the advantage.

I like this idea. Maddox is doing well for himself, The Shield is a really over act, and Maddox fits the bill in terms of comparatively new face. Seems a good marriage.

• Paid Members

This is the first time I've actually watched a full Raw for a good six months or so, largely because all the Royal Rumble talk on here has reignited my love of wrestling again. I was surprised by how much I actually enjoyed it.

Cena cutting Ziggler to shreds at the end was quite beautiful. I'm a fan of Dolph and love watching his matches, but his promo skills don't seem to have evolved in the same way at all. I'm one of many who had been calling for him to ditch Vicky and go solo to show more of his personality, but during his dull speech it became painfully apparent as to why Vicky usually had the microphone instead. It reeked to be honest. But Cena cutting him down to size and announcing his Rumble participation made it seem like a much bigger deal. The shit shower was a nice touch.

What was not a shit shower though was the Dolph/Sheamus match. That's a decent pairing. I love how Dolph sells everything so beautifully. He can either stick to the mat like you're throwing spaghetti at the wall or, like when Sheamus punched him off of the ropes, hit the floor with a glorious splat where he limbs look like they're going to pop out all over the place. Sheamus can "go" too and you genuinely believe he's hard as nails.

Loved the Ricardo/Show stuff. I'm torn on the in-ring title introduction, because although it made the World title seem like a big deal (duh), I think they missed a trick by not having Bertie don a tuxedo and do the intro for his amigo. He gave him the scarf and the car, why not go the whole hog? Good entertainment though, and I almost buy Del Rio as a babyface.

Antonio Cesaro is such a dick. I love it. It's nothing we haven't seen before but he worked up the Washington crowd an absolute treat. Listing all the famous monuments that he was champion of was a nice touch, and kicking up the dust on a downed Sarge at the end was fucking great! Simple, yet very effective.

Other quick ones- Damien Sandow is incredibly good, CM Punk is getting incredibly tiresome, Cody's moustache is brilliant and seems to be generating good heat, and the Mae Young/Hornswoggle stuff can just fuck off.

Archived