The Left Side

goldeneye86

Over the years of wrestling I've noticed and mayb many others have also picked up on it, does the 'working the left side' of the body still apply within wrestling?

Slowly I've noticed more guys are doing moves on the 'right side' of the body like leg/arm locks & suplexes. I understand lucha libre is many done on the 'right' but have the days gone when working the 'left' was essential?

Ive seen a few wrestlers use the right side but it doesnt really matter as long as they sell the right body part the whole time and not change

Yes it does. It's not so much the selling as what you feed them, which way holds are put on and so forth. It's like doing everything upside down. If a guy calls an audible and tells you he's doing to wrist lock you (it's not the best example but I'm feeling lazy) ansd you feed him the wrong arm and he goes for the other it'll look stupid.

• Paid Members
When I trained with Robbie Brookside, if you worked the right side by accident, he'd yell at you in Spanish.

That's superb!

Working the left side still very much applies, over here at least anyway. There is always a bit of ambiguity regarding clotheslines though, whether they should be thrown with the left or right arm.

That was a major problem of Sin Cara's, was it not?

Yes! prime example. Also del rio had a few issues in adapting to the style wwe expects.

It's like when I trained with majik/psycho steve in coventry, I was taught left all the way including doing strikes (clotheslines) with the left arm. I always had trouble with hitting strikes with my left but everything else was easy to pick up.

It's a simple matter of safety as well. For example, if you're gonna get hit with a big clothesline, you know that they're gonna hit you with their left arm and can (a) position yourselves correctly and (b) know what to expect. Otherwise, as well as looking stupid because you're well out of position, you could clash heads, land badly etc.

Dean.

• Paid Members

Everyone gets taught to throw clotheslines with the left? You're making that up. The only big timers I ever remember consistently throwing a left sided clothesline were Barbarian, Jeff Hardy (who is wonky anyway) and I suppose the Ultimate Warrior would use both.

Working the left side, but clotheslines are rarily thrown with the left and if positioning yourself for a left handed clothesline would find you out of position more often than not. Run straight and then you can take either left or right. no?

• Paid Members
Working the left side, but clotheslines are rarily thrown with the left and if positioning yourself for a left handed clothesline would find you out of position more often than not. Run straight and then you can take either left or right. no?

I was never really taught one way or the other with clotheslines, just with whichever arm was the most logical at the moment in time I was to throw one.

I would have thought that they just throw strikes with their stronger arm/hand/leg/foot.

Some guys are southpaws.

If I had to do what they do, I'd rather others threw worked strikes at me with the limb they are more coordinated with, know what I mean?

• Paid Members

I remember years back having a train session with Ronin and him telling us that in the UK, we work the right side (which seemed odd, obviously). So we were exchanging holds like this for about an hour until someone with a bit of clout said it was the otherway round. Ronin replied with a very dapper, "Oh...oh yes."

I remember years back having a train session with Ronin and him telling us that in the UK, we work the right side (which seemed odd, obviously). So we were exchanging holds like this for about an hour until someone with a bit of clout said it was the otherway round. Ronin replied with a very dapper, "Oh...oh yes."

Awesome.

I do remember being told that if you clap then that means your opponent is to duck what you are about to do (throw a clothesline, for instance).

Apparently one of the few, or only, people to clap and then connect with the move was Macho Man Randy Savage which, if you watch his stuff closely, is precisely what he did. Must have been confusing as hell if your natural instinct is to duck the impending move because your opponent clapped only to remember that your in there with Savage and when he clapped it meant don't duck.

Archived