Brock Lesnar

Angle_fan

Triple H being on a PPV is pretty rare these days too. You'd think with the attraction of Triple H as well as Brock Lesnar, then Summerslam would have increased its buyrate over last year by as much as Extreme Rules did. I don't see how anyone could think Extreme Rules didn't do well.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Summerslam was the weakest that it had been in years. Other than Brock vs. Triple H, there was no other big matches on the show. Everything was poorly built, with the WWE Title match being overshadowed by the build to Punk/Rock in 5 months time. And every other match was a rematch of some kind for a previous 3 hour RAW.

Extreme Rules on the other hand, was a very strongly built show, in comparison. Featured gimmick matches (which always help) and came off a strong Wrestlemania card. So that 53000 increase shouldnt be JUST down to Lesnar. If anything, it makes the Summerslam buy-rate look more impressive as it was literally a 1-Match Show. It had nothing else that had any significant hype.

Triple H being on a PPV is pretty rare these days too. You'd think with the attraction of Triple H as well as Brock Lesnar, then Summerslam would have increased its buyrate over last year by as much as Extreme Rules did. I don't see how anyone could think Extreme Rules didn't do well.

To add to that; the Summerslam buyrate (358,000 or there abouts) was only particularly good when compared to last year's effort, which did a disappointing number. If you go back to 2010 Summerslam did 350,000 and before that every Summerslam from 2000 to 2009 did better numbers than this year's.

Extreme Rules on the other hand did the best numbers for that month's PPV since 2005, beating the 2006 - 2011 events by between 50,000 and 80,000 buys.

• Paid Members

In hindsight Extreme Rules did pretty good, but at the time you'd have expected far more of an increase than 54,000 for Brock Lesnar's return. I remember the Lesnar return was head exploding shit when it happened. Putting it into perspective, the 8 year wait to see the biggest pay-per-view draw in MMA vs the biggest PPV draw in wrestling drew just over 50,000 more than a PPV headlined by Miz, Morrison and Cena the year before, which I guarantee had half the money spent on advertisement and build. Its a good number for the standards of 2012, but I remember that being a shocking number at the time. Putting Cena vs Brock on a nothing event like Extreme Rules was a daft idea anyway, so they can only blame themselves. The Triple H match made up for it, though. That was heavily built and loads of money was spent on advertising and that did a number so good they are redoing it at WrestleMania this year.

On a different note, its weird how the interest in Lesnar is exclusive to North America. Unlike the Rock and Cena, Lesnar's impact on WWE is nonexistent in Europe and other places in the world and especially the UK. It looks like they see him as this celebrity attraction who was big over there with the UFC and we're just indifferent. They did 86,000 overseas for SummerSlam. They did about 130,000 the year before.

Archived