Space chat

Sebby

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first thoughts on the subject are that it really doesn't matter what we call them, they're there and its just a name. Does it really matter if we have to call Eris and the like planets, whether we have 13 planets, 8 planets and 5 dwarf planets or 13 big bits of rock and gas?

But then i guess it does, everything needs classification, it just makes things easier. Don't see why some people would get so upset over these things, just appreciate the awesomeness of discovering new worlds which surely one day will lead to extra terrestrial life.

I thought Pluto was declassified simply because larger objects were found further out. There have since been further discoveries and explanations as to why it's not a planet but they weren't the cause of the change, as far as I remember.

Kind of right, but so is Ghostface. The discovery of Eris in 2005 and it's initial presentation by NASA as the 10th planet caused the International Astronomical Union to come up with criteria that had to be met to be classified as a planet, to stop every little rock in the solar system from gaining planetary status. When these criteria were formed, Pluto did not meet them, because (as Ghostface said) the gravity from the planet wasn't sufficient to "clear the neighborhood" of objects immediately around itself. Eris is actually bigger than Pluto too, and it didn't meet the planetary classification criteria either.

• Paid Members

"Following various debates on the current state of divination, and after numerous consultations of the Major Arcana, we have decided to downgrade Pisces from its status as a sign, and have re-classified it as a minor constellation which only affects your love life and whether or not that bird you fingered behind Mecca Bingo is pregnant."

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
Did anybody else manage to catch a glimpse of PanSTARRS while it was visible? I got it with my binoculars on just about the last day it was still possible to see it, thanks to the weather. Had absolutely no luck with my scope though.

Complete overcast here so other people pictures had to do!

Yeah should have asked my question in here really, so again,

Does anyone know anyone with a 2nd hand Coronado PST for sale?

I'd never heard of the Wow! signal before. Incredible stuff! Wiki page led me to the Arecibo message, which seems like a good idea until you find that the group of stars they aimed the signal at won't be there when the message "arrives". Think harder, lads!

• 6 months later...

Archived