House show rarities thread

AshC

Branching off from the Bret Hart/Tito Santana match discussed in another thread, I need to indulge my worrying obsession with unusual house show bouts by making it into a thread. It's purpose? I'm not entirely sure. But it gives me an excuse to post this from October 1991 -

Any other clips of unusual house show pairings? Were you there for an odd match-up that never made it to TV? Are there any hidden gems on the Cawthorn website we should all know about?

Hogan wrestled Rikishi as well, in his first match back that year. That'd definitely fit the bill too.

This never happened, but imagine how good it could have been...

WWF @ New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - November 15, 1997

Prior to Bret Hart's leaving the WWF, the main event was scheduled to be a title defense for Hart pitting him against the Undertaker, Steve Austin, and Shawn Michaels in a four-way match

• Paid Members

Towards the tail end of his run in June 1989 the Blue Blazer lost a couple of house show matches to Barry Horowitz, which is bizarre.

These are the shows that had the Hart/Santana matches on.

WWF @ Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Arena - November 17, 1989

WWF @ Philadelphia, PA - Spectrum - November 18, 1989

WWF @ East Rutherford, NJ - Meadowlands - November 18, 1989

Could not find exact dates and venues for the Bret/Rude matches that were sometime in 89 in Italy.

In addition to Jake/Hogan as mentioned in the other thread, some neat sounding rare matches that caught my eye

WWF @ Louisville, KY - Louisville Gardens - July 20, 1991 (matinee) (3,700)

Randy Savage (sub. for Hulk Hogan) defeated Sgt. Slaughter with the Camel Clutch (?)

WWF @ Portland, ME - Civic Center - July 30, 1991 (7,756) (amongst others)

Wrestling Challenge taping:

Randy Savage (sub. for the Ultimate Warrior) pinned the Undertaker

Almost!

WWF @ Erie, PA - Civic Center - August 20, 1991

Wrestling Challenge taping:

The scheduled bout between Ricky Steamboat and WWF IC Champion Mr. Perfect did not take place due to the champion's back injury

WWF @ Philadelphia, PA - Spectrum - August 24, 1991

Bret Hart defeated Sgt. Slaughter via disqualification after Gen. Adnan threw powder in Hart's face

King of the Ring 91 - Providence, RI - Civic Center - September 7, 1991 (matinee) (2,400)

Ricky Steamboat fought Ted Dibiase to a 15-minute time limit draw

(it’s actually out there on fancam)

WWF @ Auburn Hills, MI - Palace - September 19, 1992 (2,600) (amongst others)

The Ultimate Warrior defeated WWF World Champion Ric Flair via disqualification when Mr. Perfect interfered

WWF @ Syracuse, NY - War Memorial - May 11, 1996 (4,230) (amongst others)

The Ultimate Warrior pinned Vader

WWF @ Tacoma, WA - Tacoma Dome - February 11, 1990

Marty Jannetty defeated the Barbarian via disqualification

Sucks a bit that it was mainly Shawn who got the good singles singles matches back in the Rockers days, as Marty vs the Hitman, Dibiase, Perfect, Flair etc. would have been genuine dream matches for me, but I can’t see any record of them ever happening.

Loads of new generation midcard stuff that happened a few times too. Probably isn't very exciting to anyone else but I would've loved it - stuff like 123 Kid v Waylon Mercy/Doink/Jean Pierre Lafitte etc.

These are probably my fave house show fancam/non WWF TV finds though, Quebecer Pierre v Shawn Michaels- In Montreal, and Jacques v Pierre, career v career. shame it's clipped.

Can't find anything of it on Youtube, but I was there for Bret Hart vs Mankind at the NEC in 1996. I wasn't paying much attention to it, I was worried about my Reebok coat which had been nicked earlier that day at the CBBC Big Bash. I think that was the first match they ever had, and I'm not sure they ever had any on-screen encounters at all, despite Bret still being around for a year after that?

• Paid Members

WWF @ ? - January 1988

Don Muraco vs. the Iron Sheik; later in the card, Muraco & the Sheik wrestled together as the masked Conquistadors in a tag team match

LOL

WWF @ Poughkeepsie, NY - Mid-Hudson Civic Center - February 10, 1988

Randy Savage, WWF Tag Team Champions Rick Martel & Tito Santana defeated WWF IC Champion the Honkytonk Man, Bret Hart, & Jim Neidhart in a steel cage match

WWF @ Pittsburgh, PA - Civic Arena - February 20, 1988 (8,000)

Jim Duggan won a 21-man bunkhouse battle royal at 9:37; order of elimination: George Steele (who never entered the ring and chased Jimmy Hart & Frenchy Martin instead), Mr. Fuji, Hercules, Ron Bass, Brutus Beefcake, Lanny Poffo (wearing a suit of armor), Dino Bravo, Raymond Rougeau, Sika (wearing a Gold's Gym t-shirt), the Junkyard Dog, Hillbilly Jim, Outback Jack, King Harley Race, the Iron Sheik, Jacques Rougeau, the Ultimate Warrior, Ken Patera (who brought a chainsaw to the ring but was removed prior to the start of the bout), Ax, and Smash.

WWF @ Philadelphia, PA - Spectrum - March 12, 1988 (10,731)

Hulk Hogan pinned Ted Dibiase (w/ Virgil) in a lumberjack match at 6:05 with the legdrop after throwing Dibiase off the top rope, despite outside interference from two men wearing Killer Bees face masks; after the bout, Hogan fought off the two masked men and unmasked one of them but he was wearing a second mask underneath; other lumberjacks included: Virgil, Koko B. Ware, SD Jones, Johnny V, Brutus Beefcake, Dino Bravo, Greg Valentine, Nikolai Volkoff & Boris Zhukov; stipulations stated Andre the Giant was banned from ringside for the match

WWF @ Hartford, CT - Civic Center - May 23, 1987 (11,000)

Pete Doherty vs. Nick Kiniski did not take place as advertised

Oh NO!

WWF @ Chicago, IL - Rosemont Horizon - January 26, 1991

The Barbarian defeated Sam Houston

WWF @ Rockford, IL - Metro Centre - January 27, 1991

Jake Roberts defeated Rick Martel in a steel cage match

WWF @ Edmonton, Alberta - Northlands Coliseum - February 8, 1991 (9,500)

Hulk Hogan defeated Earthquake in a stretcher match

WWF @ Dallas, TX - Reunion Arena - February 11, 1991

Kerry Von Erich (w/ Fritz Von Erich) pinned Boris Zhukov (w/ Gen. Adnan) (sub. for Gen. Adnan, who was a sub. for WWF World Champion Sgt. Slaughter); after the bout, Fritz applied the claw on Adnan

Archived