Your best and worst movies of the year?

Astro Hollywood

• Moderators

Well?

Irritatingly, I won't be revealing my favourite movies until later in the week, but as is the yearly custom, here's the first part of my Top 20. This is just the preamble, with stuff that didn't make the cut, and the worst pieces of shit of the year. Films 20-11 and 10-1 coming Wednesday and Friday respectively.

"Hold on you cunt, this is just a sneaky way of linking to your blog!"

Well, yeah, but Gladstone (and even Loki) said it was okay, so take it up with him.

SPEAK

EDIT - And here's the bottom half of the Top 20.

And here's the Top 10.

• Paid Members

OK, so, about Cabin In The Woods.

See, I expected to hate it because it's Joss Whedon and he's very very very shit indeed. A terrible writer. BUT. I really enjoyed it. Definitely massively overrated, though, and anyone saying it's a game changer or anything like that are mega wrong and mental. It's not nearly as original as it thinks it is. The bit with the chasm jump attempt and the bit with everything escaping are both so much fun, though. The ending is fucking crap, though, and they clearly had no idea how to end it well and the cameo was really pointless and shit.

I'll post all the stuff that I liked from this year later but expect Headhunters and Margin Call to head the list.

• Moderators
OK, so, about Cabin In The Woods.

See, I expected to hate it because it's Joss Whedon and he's very very very shit indeed. A terrible writer. BUT. I really enjoyed it. Definitely massively overrated, though, and anyone saying it's a game changer or anything like that are mega wrong and mental. It's not nearly as original as it thinks it is. The bit with the chasm jump attempt and the bit with everything escaping are both so much fun, though. The ending is fucking crap, though, and they clearly had no idea how to end it well and the cameo was really pointless and shit.

I didn't find it fun at all. I really went in with an open mind too, and was buoyed by the "Don't spoil the twist for people!" reviews. The first half hour seemed alright, because I was expecting it to confound my expectations and take all that cliche somewhere. "Oh, this is really well-observed about how formulaic horror is!" But then it just carried on being formulaic and rubbish, and irritatingly uncreative.

I'll post all the stuff that I liked from this year later but expect Headhunters and Margin Call to head the list.

Heard Headhunters was amazing, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

It has been a great year for films. I've found myself going to the cinema more than ever before this year, lots of good stuff to so.

Best/favourite film of the year for me was probably Beasts of the Southern Wild. Just wonderful. Having heard so much praise and hype from way back at Sundance in January, I waited eagerly for it to arrive and it didn't disappoint. Also have to mention Searching for Sugar Man, The Imposter and Killer Joe. They really left an impression on me.

Worst was probably Cosmopolis. I'm a big Cronenberg fan, but this just fell completely flat for me. Good central performance from Pattinson couldn't elevate the material, unfrotunately.

There wasn't a whole lot that I saw and didn't actually enjoy this year. Prometheus was boring/nonsensical and Take This Waltz was a bit irritating but I'm struggling to think of anything I relly disliked.

• Paid Members

I haven't seen many new films this year, but for me it's Skyfall. It's really bloody good. So good, that I'm worried that the next film won't come close to the expectations. Won't go into details due to spoilers, but it really is one of the best 007 films, and I've watched a silly amount of them lately. Javier Bardem is especially good.

It's been a poor year for films for me this year, one of the first times that i can't think of any that really stand out. I'd say top film is a toss up between Moonrise Kingdom, Safety Not Guaranteed and Arrietty but none of those were amazing. I do have Kon-Tiki and Beasts of the Southern Wilds downloaded so this could change very soon.

Worst film is easily TDKR, i didn't even make it half way before having to turn it off.

Edit: Arrietty was actually 2011 over here, 2012 was the American release.

• Paid Members

There is only 1 film that should be even mentioned for the worst film and that is Keith Lemon - The Film.

As for best for me it's one of The Muppets, Wild Bill or Being Elmo.

• Moderators
There is only 1 film that should be even mentioned for the worst film and that is Keith Lemon - The Film.

Both of those are from last year. Don't you review films for a living? Did nothing stand out as great enough where you're citing stuff from 2011 instead?

Both of those are from last year. Don't you review films for a living? Did nothing stand out as great enough where you're citing stuff from 2011 instead?

The Muppets came out in February 2012 and Being Elmo in April 2012.

Even though nearly everyone on here seems to have really disliked it, I really liked and enjoyed The Dark Knight Rises. I am not sure if it is because it has not been a great year for films (there have been more bad than good) or that I have only watched it once (in the cinema), but I would put it somewhere near the top of my list of the best of 2012. Also somewhere on that list would be The Avengers, The Cabin in the Woods, Hunger Games, The Raid and Skyfall.

Others films I thought were very good (and four of which would go with the six listed above to make a top 10 films of 2012) were the likes of Amazing Spider-Man, Headhunters, Looper, Ted, The Woman in Black, 21 Jump Street, Dredd, Chronicle, Bourne Legacy and Prometheus.

I will post some of my worst of 2012 a little later and might add a little reason for some of the above best films as well.

A quick question - do the worst have to be cinematic releases or can they be straight-to-DVD?

Archived