RINGSPORT WRESTLING: Pennywell Results

Ringsport Wrestling

RINGSPORT WRESTLING: Pennywell Comrades Club, Friday 14th December 2012

RESULTS OF THE SHOW:

A jam-packed and very vocal Pennywell Comrades Club witnessed the 2012 World of Sport Championship tournament (contested under Lord Mount Evans rules) and saw history made as the first WOS champion was crowned. Here is a quick summary of the nights action:

Quarter Final A: Billy Morrison defeated Brett Eagle with a Boston Crab in round 3 in a fast-paced opening match that saw the cocky Eagle annoy the crowd with his antics but come up short against the local favourite.

Quarter Final B: Dr Death submitted Kaz Oshima with a double writslock & leghold in round 2. The Japanese Oshima was popular with the crowd and fought well against the much larger Dr Death but ultimately he was caught in a vicious submission hold that seemed to seriously injure his arm.

Quarter Final C: Yorghos pinned El Valiente in round 2 with a Northern-Lights suplex in what was an exciting bout that saw El Valiente hit some high flying moves before having to succumb to the superior size and technical skill of the man from Greece.

Quarter Final D: Mickey Finn knocked out Adam Christ with a Canadian Destroyer at the end of round 4 in a hard-fought contest that saw Christ nearly disqualified for repeated infractions of the rules. After the contest Christ complained about the competition and challenged Finn to a rematch at a later date.

The interval was interrupted by a lightweight masked wrestler named Felis Artrox who stated he was "the last of his kind" and claimed he had been refused entry to the tournament due to the other wrestlers being frightened that he would win it. He then issued a public challenge to any wrestler in attendance who dared to match him. The challenge was accepted by the fast-rising female prospect Polly Anne.

Impromptu Challenge: Polly Anne defeated Felis Artrox via roll-up in a heated contest that drew such a strong reaction from the crowd that it was nearly stopped for threatening to disturb the peace.

Semi-final 1: Billy Morrison defeated Dr Death in round 1 by disqualification due to the repeated unsportsmanlike conduct of Dr Death. After the bout Dr Death locked his double wristlock hold on Morrison, injuring his left arm.

Semi-final 2: Yorghos defeated Mickey Finn via school boy roll-up in round 4 in what was probably the most technical match-up seen in Northern rings in many years. In a back-and-forth battle Finn seemed to be on the verge of victory but Adam Christ interfered, first by pulling Yorghos out of the way of a Finn frog splash from the top rope and then distracting Finn, allowing Yorghos to take the win.

6-man tag team attraction: In an exciting "American Rules" contest Mark Anthony, Gavin Starr & Big Kris defeated "The Models" Lucas Marvel, Dominic Davenport & Andy Sullivan when Mark Anthony pinned Andy Sullivan following a double underhook piledriver.

WOS Final (best 2 out of 3 falls): Billy Morrison defeated Yorghos, 2 falls to 1, in round 8. Morrison scored a quick reverse double leg nelson pinfall in round 1 to take the lead in the contest. Yorghos then took control for the majority of the bout by focusing on the injured left arm of Morrison, including the use of some dubious techniques that involved the ring ropes & turnbuckles. Yorghos eventually evened the score in the 7th round when the referee called the fall due to the risk of serious injury to Morrison's arm while he was trapped in a severe bar hammerlock. There was some confusion as to whether Morrison could continue, however ultimately he demanded to contest the deciding fall which saw Yorghos again focusing his attack on Morrison's injured arm, however the tactic of using the ropes for leverage backfired on this occasion when the referee caught Yorghos and knocked his arm free from the ropes, causing Yorghos to fall off balance and allowing Morrison to score the roll-up for the win. After the bout both men took the mic thanking the crowd and showing good sportsmanship.

A special thank you to all the fans who came out to support the show and to all those who helped make it happen. Stay tuned for more to come from Ringsport in 2013.

• Paid Members
Wasn’t this show cancelled? :confused:

No it wasn't! As described above it went ahead and was an excellent night of wrestling action (although I may be slightly biased ;) )

I imagine the reason you may think that is either due to the previous show that was booked for Washington being scrapped or maybe you got wind of the unfortunate number of wrestlers scheduled to appear on this show who dropped out last minute.

Either way, if you were planning to come along I'm sorry we didn't make it clear that this show was still going ahead but Ringsport will look forward to seeing you and all the local North East wrestling fans who post on the UKFF at future shows and hopefully they will live up or even exceed the standard set last night.

Yeah, I think it was the Washington show I was thinking of. Sorry for the confusion! Hope the night went well. Let me know where I can look to for future show announcements and I’ll keep an eye out and try and get along.

• Paid Members

It's certainly not among the "principle holds" listed in the Mountevans rules, but just about comes under the wider definition of "any combination of grips with one or both hands, and/or one or both legs; taken for the purpose of throwing an opponent, for the purpose of gaining a pin or submission fall."

• Paid Members
It's certainly not among the "principle holds" listed in the Mountevans rules, but just about comes under the wider definition of "any combination of grips with one or both hands, and/or one or both legs; taken for the purpose of throwing an opponent, for the purpose of gaining a pin or submission fall."

Is the arm-bar listed

• Paid Members

Just about.

My point was though that if you are holding a tournament for the "World Of Sport" championship then a Canadian Destroyer is about as un World of Sport as it gets.

I can confirm that it was indeed a "Red Alert" sunset flip powerbomb that KO'd Adam Christ and not the "Canadian Destroyer" mentioned in the ringside report - thank you Allstar69 for making that correction. It is also right to state that neither move is referenced specifically in the published rules provided by Admiral-Lord Mountevans, but that is also true of many holds and techniques seen in British rings since their publication

I think it is maybe worth pointing out that the show was "WOS rules" not necessarily "WOS style" and holds & techniques were not banned if they were legal under those rules. This actually worked quite well and made the matches quite fresh, mixing the "old school" technical work with some of the more modern attacks. This was the 2012 World of Sport Championship Tournament after all.

I would also like to make clear there was no "interpenetrations" going on at this show to my knowledge, regardless of what Allstar69 may suggest!

Archived