WWE Raw 10/12/2012 *spoilers*

Shane O' Mac Version 2

Good go-home show for TLC I thought. Having the tables, ladders and chairs set up around ring-side was a nice little touch, almost like subliminal reinforcement of the upcoming PPV on screen all night, any time you looked at the screen was a visual reminder of TLC. Great show closing brawl, I love chaotic scenes like that. They've found the perfect use for Ryback, setting him up for the big pop in the last segment. The move of throwing the ladder into all 3 Shield members was brilliant.

Other thoughts:

* Ziggler remains the best thing going in WWE. He has that poise on the mic now that was previously missing, his speaking delivery is as smooth as his wrestling. He played his part well in the opening segment, he had a very good match with Sheamus, and most of all, his commentary performance in the main event was excellent. People praised Titus O'Neil for how natural and conversational he came across on commentary having banter with Cole and Lawler, but I felt while that was in some way a positive, it detracted from the events on screen as the commentary gave almost no attention to the wrestling action. In that respect, Ziggler excelled, having the natural free-flowing banter with Cole and Lawler, while still keeping focus on the Cena vs. Show main event and promoting his match on the PPV. I feel like he had a perfect night, if he does lose to Cena and go back to midcard purgatory, it'll be a travesty.

*Speaking of midcard purgatory, really nice to see The Uso's emerge from it somewhat. They were given the spotlight and were great in the elimination tag match. Hopefully management take notice and give them a more prominent spot going forward. I am super impressed to see Cody Rhodes back so quickly, given the multitude of injuries he sustained I thought he'd be out until after Mania. His moustache seemed to be the most over thing on the show.

* Miz TV... Jesus. Miz's jokes as a babyface are the drizzling shits. "The Pink and The Stink"? Really? I wanted to facepalm several times in that segment, Miz either needs a better writer or a better sense of humour.

* The night featured several rematches, but they were all entertaining matches so I didn't mind so much. I have to question the logic of having a Champion vs. Champion match on Main Event one week, and then repeating it on Raw unadvertised and unhyped the next week.

*Missed Smackdown last week so this was the first time I saw that Shield handheld camera video. Ambrose and Reigns have incredible presence, Rollins not so much but he's a great wrestler, he had some cracking bouts on NXT, so they're really a faction firing on all cylinders. Really looking forward to seeing what the Shield do at TLC.

*I could say something about CM Punk, but he was really treated as an afterthought. For the hour preceding, nothing was said by the announcers regarding his injury, he came out and cut a little promo of no significance, and then wasn't mentioned again. Weird.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree mostly with SOMV2, especially about Ziggler. Best Raw in a while. Tumbleweed City has been better recently :omg: but it was pretty good overall this week. Always helps when the crowd are actually bothered and try to get into all the matches, which they did tonight. I loved the "Cody's mustache" chant.

Miz's jokes are really bad, but aside from that, I thought this week's Miz TV was the best one so far. Sandow got quite a positive cheer when he came out for his match, and then was able to get some good heat during the bit with Miz. Also, Rhodes' tache is perfect - he's gone from Blandathon McChump to comedy facial hair sidekick in one Neville-esque growth.

The Cesaro-Kingston match didn't do it for me. There were so many missed spots and bits that looked wrong (Cesaro staggering diagonally backwards towards the corner for no fucking reason early on, Kofi leaping awkwardly around like an aging goat, Cesaro cock-slamming Kofi, etc). The ending was alright but generally there was a real lack of chemistry.

The ending was boss, though aesthetically, pretty poor direction/camera work. There was barely any visual build up to Ryback chucking the ladder at the shield, they only showed the moment of impact. There was far too much deliberately shaky camera frantically moving between different parts of the action. Yes, we know there's shitloads of stuff going on, but we're not on the bridge of the enterprise and we're not under attack, so stop wobbling the camera around like a total fanny. There's no reason for it and it doesn't add to the drama.

Finally, Big Show's Arse going through the table and then him sitting back and having a snooze has to be the most underwhelming table spot ever.

Show was both good and terrible as usual. What is it with these awkward and fucking awful Vince/Vicki segments? The opening Ziggler promo was good, he's really improved on the mic just a shame about the moronic what chants.

Punk has been pretty tedious the last couple of weeks, just the same old promo. And its the same lazy, 'this town is a shithole' promo that every other heel in the company is cutting. I sometimes wish wwe would break away from the heel = whiny- cowardly-cheap heat clich

"The Pink and The Stink"? Really?

Hey, people wanted the Attitude era back. Sounds like they got it...

Haha, fair, but it wasn't just the line, every joke Miz makes he looks around eagerly for approval and is met with apathy. Sad stuff.

Actually, one thing on this show that was a little reminiscent of the Attitude Era was the Vickie/Khali/Hornswoggle skit. I'll admit I had a good laugh at that, and Vince's, "I thought this was a family show," was the best thing he's done in the last few weeks.

Got through Raw quicker than I used to when it was 2 hours, says it all really. The endless repeated matches are bad enough but the fact they have to be 15 hours long makes it even worse. There was the odd good bit but it's lost in the endless repetitivenes of everything else. End segment was good though, apart from Cole screaming "Look out!" at the end when nothing was happening.

If we weren't heading into the season where the big boys will be around I'd probably be giving Raw a miss for a while for the first time since I got Sky in 99. PPV could be belting Sunday though.

I like The Shield, but I've no idea what Ambrose is showing that gives some people the gooey feeling about him specifically. Not bad, actually pretty great. But he's getting some pretty big compliments getting thrown about for him that I really don't quite understand.

Archived