The learning to drive thread.

Philo_Vance

Big bump to announce that I passed this afternoon. Did my test three weeks ago and failed for a silly mistake that in most situations would have just been a minor, but just happened to get me a serious due to the situation, Second attempt today and passed with two minors. Well happy.

Edit: the lesson before the test this morning I was fucking atrocious too, Instructor had to jump on the brakes, missed signals left right and centre. Honestly surprised I pulled it out and passed. Felt a bit of pressure too as learning with my best mate as the instructor was great, but he was stressed because he didn't want to let me down, and I was stressed because I didn't want to let him down. Tremendous relief right now. Taking him for a beer tonight as he taught me for a fair chunk less than his usual rate.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats on passing man.

You only had to wait 3 weeks for another test? In my area the waiting list is around 10 weeks which adds pressure onto your test as you know if you fail then you have a while to wait till you can do another one.

yeah, for some reason Canterbury test centre doesn't get too heavily booked up, to the extent that there's always rumours about it closing. Canterbury has a reputation for being a difficult place to learn/take the test as the traffic can be absolutely mad, so I think a lot of people choose to do it in neighbouring towns. My attitude was more that every journey I make will start and end with the shit road system and traffic here so I might as well learn here. Glad I did.

Yeah your right and it will probably make you a better driver overall. My area in North Wales has one of the lowest pass rates in the UK which is around 30% which is pretty terrible. Then you've got the whole argument of "Do they fail people on purpose to keep stats down?" and what not.

It's a great feeling passing your test. Are you planning on getting a car?

Yeah, as soon as possible. Only sticking point now is that because I have an old style paper license (got my provisional before the days of photocards), I have to send my passport off when I send off for my license, and I'm going on holiday in 5 weeks, so I'm a bit worried about sending it off and not getting it back in time. Might have to wait till I'm back from holiday.

That sounds like a right ballache and I have no idea what would be best for you to do.

Talking about ballaches and cars. Buying a car is more difficult than I first imagined. There is just shit everywhere and if your paying a decent amount you want something good for your money. After spending about 2 weeks I finally found one a 2 hour journey away which I got my Dad to collect for me. Driving on your own for the first few weeks is an quiet an experience..

Congrats Philo. Really well done for passing. Now DRIVE. DRIVE LIKE FUCK.

I passed my test years ago (despite never enjoying it, never wanting to drive or anything - peer and family pressure making me think I "should" be able to drive I think), after failing previously and then because it wasn't really my thing, I hardly drove after that. Only around the time that Mrs NEWM was 9 months pregnant did I realise I'd probably need the skill a bit, and a very patient mate had to take me out so I could re-learn. Now, I drive a bit more, but not much, hate it every time, and can feel the fear creeping back in. So yeah, drive drive drive until it comes seemingly so easy and naturally as it does for every other fucker.

I can really understand where your coming from NEWM. When I passed my test I didn't think I would be so nervous as a driver and it took a few weeks for me to settle down. My driving wasn't the problem it was the fact I learnt in a Diesel and my car is a Petrol where the car is much different to drive. I kept stalling, drivers were beeping at me and going mental. It was stressful. After a few weeks I got used to revving the engine whilst feeding in the clutch and don't stall (touch wood). Still after around 10 weeks I'm abit nervous and get abit stressed but it's getting better every journey. I made my first 40 mile journey the other day and used to the A55 which is good. I still have to go on a Motorway for the first time though.

For you though, it must be really difficult having such a long break away from driving. It's frightening that there are drivers out there who passed their test years ago, take a few years away from driving and are driving on the road now. I'd like to see some sort of law brought in where individuals are required to take "X" amount of hours to freshen up their driving.

I've learnt in a diesel as well and I'm hoping to buy a diesel as it's what I'm used to, plus the fuel economy will really help me out. Obviously depends what I can find though, so we'll see. Quite daunted by the idea of going back to a petrol car, I only did the first 10 hours or so of learning in one and found it much easier with the diesel. At the moment however, given the fact that my pet insurance has lapsed and Horton Vance is quite unwell (see pet thread), there's a good chance the money that was earmarked for a car will go on spinal surgery for him, so I may end up not motoring in the near future. It sucks but dog comes first, he's been with me longer than any woman and my heart is breaking seeing him in pain.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived