The learning to drive thread.

Philo_Vance

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Two hours is a long time to drive for anyone, let alone a learner. I remember suffering the same when I was learning and I would have 90 minute lessons- it's so hard to keep up the uber-concentration levels that are required when you're in that situation. The truth is, once you become experienced at driving you stop concentrating on all the little things like checking mirrors and signalling, because that all comes naturally to you after a while.

The mirrors thing is already starting to feel like second nature. As for the fatigue element, I figure the time will come when I'll need to be driving for 2+hours so it'll do me good to learn to concentrate for that length of time. My family, for example live 4 and a half hours away and when it comes to visiting them I'll only be wanting to take one break.

• 1 month later...

Not yet. My instructor reckons a few more hours of lessons, gonna book it in soon, probably for the first or second week of April. To be honest, I'd rather put it off till I'm 100% confident and pass first time than book it too soon and fail, so I'm happy to wait even a bit longer if it seems best. I'm driving pretty well now but there's still odd mistakes creeping in I need to eliminate before I'd be ready for a test.

• Paid Members
Not yet. My instructor reckons a few more hours of lessons, gonna book it in soon, probably for the first or second week of April. To be honest, I'd rather put it off till I'm 100% confident and pass first time than book it too soon and fail, so I'm happy to wait even a bit longer if it seems best. I'm driving pretty well now but there's still odd mistakes creeping in I need to eliminate before I'd be ready for a test.

Definitely the best approach & the opposite of what I did. I went to the test way to early & failed, then failed again & failed for a 3rd time. Took a bunch of time away from driving before taking a shit load more lessons & passing on my 4th attempt.

I get what your saying pal.

All I'll say is when you do come to doing your test, the examiar is simply their to see that you are road-worthy. Make sure you are checking your mirrors as muc has possible and make it clear that your are doing so. If you just move your eyes, they may just think you are looking ahead the whole time, so make sure you are clear with your movements.

And if you fail first time, its no biggie. I passed my test second time, which was better than my old man (third time) who I always thought was the best driver around

• Paid Members

Failed three tests about 5 or 6 years ago, and since then have never at any one point had the cash to be able to afford to re-take the theory test and at least one practical.

Fucking expensive these days.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I need help. Friday I had an awesome lesson, my first good lesson for months and months. If it had been my test I wouldn't have even got a minor. 100% perfect. Today I've gone back to my stupid self. My main problem is that I'm rushing and wanting to get parking and reversing around corners over and done with.

In the same lesson I'll try it again, knowing to take it slow and yet I still do the same mistakes.

After finally getting my confidence back Friday I feel like I've lost it all again :(

I need help. Friday I had an awesome lesson, my first good lesson for months and months. If it had been my test I wouldn't have even got a minor. 100% perfect. Today I've gone back to my stupid self. My main problem is that I'm rushing and wanting to get parking and reversing around corners over and done with.

In the same lesson I'll try it again, knowing to take it slow and yet I still do the same mistakes.

After finally getting my confidence back Friday I feel like I've lost it all again :(

Two weeks before I passed my test I did a mock test with my instructor and forgot how to do a left turn. It's all about focus I think. You have to clear your head and just focus on exactly what you need to do and when.

Archived