The learning to drive thread.

Philo_Vance

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Far too early days for the OP but I saw this 1950s driving safety video a few months ago and I'm of the school that nobody should drive without watching this kind of thing. It's NSFW I'd say but it's the sort of thing that stays with you and, although I've not driven in a few years, I feel confident that this sort of thing will make you a better driver. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKFOFxWMNxo. I don't drive myself (only had time for a few lessons before I was off to uni) but just thought I'd share this invaluable piece of film to all those learning - it's intense and at times graphic, but I'd go so far as to call it mandatory for learner drivers - and indeed all drivers. Give it a watch and I reckon it will make anyone that little bit more careful on the road.

Did any catch the War On Britain's Road doc that was on BBC1 during the week? If you drive in London and deal with that style of cyclist, you have my respect.

Passed my test a couple of years ago, only had one minor scrape (which was partly my fault). Used to be nervous the first few times out on my own, but deck I've had a few trips on the motorway to get to gigs, its second nature

Started watching that vid, against my better judgement. It's odd seeing something that's so twee and kitsch in its style, yet simultaneously absolutely horrific. Definitely makes you realise how careful you need to be. Also, how fucking FIT are some of the cars in that video?

I started driving lessons at the tender age of 31. Passed my theory and practical first time, and I'm not bragging it's just something I'm really proud of. The best advice I received was you're not learning to drive you're learning to pass your test. Once I got in that mind set it was a piece of piss. The most ridiculous part of the whole process was the hazard perception. It is the most disjointed and inaccurate test I've ever done. In my mind it's designed for you to fail in order to get more money out of you. Complete bullshit.

• Paid Members

I learned to drive quite late, passing my test at 25. That doesn't sound too old, but most of my mates had been driving since they were 17/18 so by my mid-twenties it was starting to bother me somewhat. I didn't drive for over 3 years following that, finally getting my own car in 2010. Going out on the road on my own after three years without any practice whatsoever was absolutely terrifying. Even now, I'm not a very confident driver and wouldn't say that it's something that I enjoy doing.

I would back up what Steve said above, that passing your driving test and becoming a good driver are totally exclusive things. You only become a good driver through experience and that only comes once you're out on the road, doing it by yourself.

I find it really interesting that some people aren't arsed about learning to drive until they are a bit older. I was desperate to get in a car at 17 and pass my test and I cant imagine not having been able to get about with ease at that age and up until now. What are peoples reasons for not learning at the earliest opportunity? Just thinking about not being able to drive makes me feel really restricted and I cant imagine that feeling of being reliant on others just to go wherever I want to. Good luck with leaning though. In all driving isnt that big a deal and as nervous as you may be now there'll soon be a time when you are jumping in your car and not giving anything a second thought.

• Paid Members

All depends where you live and where you work. Since the age of 18 I've never lived more than a mile or two from Sheffield city centre. Even now, I have a car but don't really need it. I walk to work and am pretty well placed to get anywhere I need to using public transport. I probably drive about once a week on average, to pop to Tesco. Any car owner will tell you that they are fucking expensive things to run, so unless your life would really suck without one, it's not difficult to understand why people do without.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought this thread could use a bump. Just had my fourth lesson, bringing me up to 6 hours now. Going really well, I'm just finding that I go to shit after about an hour and three quarters as my concentration goes. Probably doesn't help that I'm ill at the mo and not sleeping well. Anyway, the instructor (also my best mate) is happy, I'm doing well with awareness and mirrors etc and apparently I'm fantastic at roundabouts and coming on and off dual carriageways. The only problem I'm having is that as I tire, I get heavy footed, so I'm braking late, pulling away too quick and stalling occasionally. It's frustrating to be making such stupid mistakes just in the last ten minutes after nearly two hours of driving well.

• Paid Members

Van Dammer: I think it depends on where you live. Living in London, with easy access to various types of public transport as well as having to deal with the congestion charge, lack of parking etc, I have never seen any need for me to have a car so therefore I don't see the need to spend the money getting licensed.

• Paid Members
I find it really interesting that some people aren't arsed about learning to drive until they are a bit older. I was desperate to get in a car at 17 and pass my test and I cant imagine not having been able to get about with ease at that age and up until now. What are peoples reasons for not learning at the earliest opportunity?

For some reason I convinced myself that I had no need for a car. Looking back, passing up the opportunity to drive earlier was fucking stupid. I'm without a car again at the moment, and it drives me nuts that everything becomes a massive day long operation that was once just a matter of chucking stuff in the boot and spending an hour on the motorway.

Was pretty much the same for me. Went to university pretty much bang on my 18th birthday, didn't learn while I was at uni because I didn't need to and was far too busy behaving like a typical student, and by the time I finished I was working 10 minutes from home so felt I didn't need to. Did a stint of commuting to a different place for work, but I still felt that I was better off with public transport. Didn't have a lot of spare cash to learn and actually quite enjoyed the half hour sitting reading each way. It's only since working for myself the last few months that it's become essential for me to learn. I'm in different places every day, sometimes flitting from place to place to place, and the time and money I'm wasting doing it is ridiculous, the time especially.

I must admit though, aside from the necessity of it, I'm really looking forward to the freedom aspect as well, can't wait to be able to just pick up and go places whenever I fancy without having to organise in advance.

Thought this thread could use a bump. Just had my fourth lesson, bringing me up to 6 hours now. Going really well, I'm just finding that I go to shit after about an hour and three quarters as my concentration goes. Probably doesn't help that I'm ill at the mo and not sleeping well. Anyway, the instructor (also my best mate) is happy, I'm doing well with awareness and mirrors etc and apparently I'm fantastic at roundabouts and coming on and off dual carriageways. The only problem I'm having is that as I tire, I get heavy footed, so I'm braking late, pulling away too quick and stalling occasionally. It's frustrating to be making such stupid mistakes just in the last ten minutes after nearly two hours of driving well.

I wouldn't worry about that you're making those mistakes when you tire at all, It's probably because your body isn't used to you doing it for that length of time. I remember when I learnt my first two hour lesson my legs and arms ached but after doing it more frequently it got much easier. Oh and never ever worry about stalling, I drive for a living and I still do it occasionally. Never understood why some people mock others for doing it, it's so easy to do.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup::)

Archived