The learning to drive thread.

Philo_Vance

Apologies if this has been done before. Don't remember seeing it and a search didn't turn anything up.

So. At the ripe old age of 31, I've got my first driving lesson in a couple of hours. Thought it was about time, and I was beginning to feel like if I left it much longer I'd never get it done. The parents are getting on a bit now too, so it'll be handy to be able to get up there more easily to visit and so forth, not to mention that having a car will open up a lot more opportunities for me work-wise.

Anyway, aside from about half an hour buggering about in a mate's car when I was 19, I've never driven before, and I'm surprised at just how nervous I am. On a positive note, I'm learning with one of my best friends who happens to be a driving instructor, so at least I'll be at ease with him. But still, finding it very nerve-wracking.

Any words of wisdom/funny stories/horror stories from driving lessons then? Or anyone want to call me a big jessie and tell me to get on with it?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

get on with it!

I started learning at 21, only advice i'd give really is not to get discouraged on your first few lessons if things dont go so well. It's one of those things you may feel you'll never pick up when your making mistakes, but you'll get there, it gets easier the more you do it. Be patient and shit.

I started to learn how to drive when i was 17, I was not ready as i was the same as you panicked by the thought that this potential killing machine was under my control. Finally past my test when i was 27 and ive only driven once since then in my old bosses car. Cue to today Im getting a car for the weekend and driving down to hull to say im nervous is a understatement. If im not back on here by the Monday ill have died but its been a good life

That's actually the main source of nerves I think, the idea of how dangerous it can be. I imagine most people at 17 don't fret too much and get on with it but I've had 14 extra years to know people who've died in accidents and so forth, so I'm very aware of how easy it would be to have a lapse in concentration and kill someone.

• Paid Members
Cue to today Im getting a car for the weekend and driving down to hull to say im nervous is a understatement.

I had something of a similar predicament. Passed my test at 19 and never needed to drive again so didn't. Five years later I'm heading off on holiday to Sweden with some friends and we need to hire a car. At the last minute we find out that there are age restrictions in place and I'm the only one old enough to drive a rental car. So my first ever attempt at driving without an instructor in the car came five years after I'd last driven and for 200 miles of Swedish highway, where I can't read the stop signs and have to negotiate roundabouts in the opposite direction to what feels natural, because the bastards switched to driving on the right in 1977. I remember quite distinctly bombing through a crossroads without heeding the "give way" sign. Fucking scary experience, that. It must've looked so strange to other people when I pulled up and got my mate to park it for me in the right spot.

One week later I had to do the return journey and that felt much better, so I think it's just a case of accepting that you're gonna have to shit your pants but it'll be alright once you've had time enough to wash them.

as long as you got a good instructor you will be fine. I found you get two types the ones who teach ya what you need to know to pass the test and then the ones that teach you how to drive. Also even thou i was nervous about driving on the roads at first my manoeuvres didnt bother me right from the start would rather parallel park and bay park then drive about. You never know you could surprise yourself and be a natural :)

Edit Ronnie That some first drive im just sort of convinced i can do it I got the car today so ill drive about try to get use to it then leave really early the morrow

I imagine most people at 17 don't fret too much and get on with it but I've had 14 extra years to know people who've died in accidents and so forth, so I'm very aware of how easy it would be to have a lapse in concentration and kill someone.

That will make you a safer driver, so that's a good thing.As for advice: you will inevitably stall the car at some point, and it's not the end of the world.

I had a brilliant instructor who taught me everything I needed to know and I passed within 3 months, so I was quite lucky in that respect. However, I've had a few mates who were having the exact same lesson for months without learning anything new or getting any constructive feedback from the instructor, yet he was happy to take their cash every week. Hopefully your experience will be more like mine, if it isn't don't be afraid to ask for feedback and advice.You're definitely going to be nervous your first time on the road, it's inevitable, but you need to remember that the instructor (hopefully) wouldn't let you on the road to begin with if he wasn't comfortable with it. Good luck and enjoy it, the ability to drive is brilliant.

Well, he definitely won't string it out to take more money, he's a good mate and he's teaching me cheap, for a start. Plus he's got several of our friends through their tests nice and quick. I'm actually starting to look forward to it now. Although Canterbury is gridlocked right now due to an earlier accident, and sleet/freezing rain is now coming down so I'm beginning to wonder how much of a lesson we'll be able to have.

Just stay out of my way, Larry Learner. :sneaky:

I taught my wife to drive, and it gave me some new respect for driving instructors. It also made me a much better driver!

Just got back, it went really bloody well. Was nervous as hell to begin with but after a couple of times round the back streets I felt like I had decent control of the car and knew when to be indicating, checking the mirrors etc. The only sticking points were braking slightly too hard and pulling in a little bit too far from the kerb. Kind of weird seeing my mate who's way younger than me and who plays in a bunch of punk bands in full on teacher mode, he was really good. And he said I was far better than most people on their first lesson in terms of keeping an even speed, road position etc. which is encouraging. Feel waaaaaay better now the first lesson's out of the way. Next one on wednesday.

Archived