Shit Towns

Shovanist Pig

• Paid Members

Mansfield's shit these days. With so many empty shops, and make-shift car parks where buildings used to stand, the whole town seems a lot smaller.

The market is probably not even 20% the size it was, and the indoor market (with its permo-fishy smell) has been flattened to make way for yet another car park.

There's a fucking monstrosity of a half finished building opposite the bus station (considered one of the worst in the country) where the company went bust long before completion, and nobody is willing to risk taking on such a stupidly over-ambitious project. It's been open to the elements for probably close to 2 years now. What makes it even more annoying is that they demolished one of the towns historic buildings to do this.

Another of the towns historic buildings (indeed, possibly the most iconic building in town) was mostly demolished last year. The front was supposed to be retained, but the contractors made such a fuck up that it wasn't safe to leave it up, so now only the clock tower remains. To add further insult to injury, the half-arsed security company (ie: they locked the gate, but left an 8 foot wide fucking gap right next to it) has allowed pikeys in to get in, smash the clock face, and nick the copper hands and half the tiles off the roof.

Once the new bus station is built, the council are pimping the idea of a new shopping mall on the old bus station site. Do all the empty units in the current shopping mall and the high street not hint that there is not really a fucking demand for more units?

It's a long way removed from the place I grew up in.

• Paid Members

Helensburgh, Scotland for me. It's one of those towns where everyone either appears to be 8 or 80. I moved away a few years ago for University in Edinburgh and loved it there but after graduating I'm back here, and every weekend is either a trip back to the capital to see my girlfriend or a night with my one remaining friend here to play Fifa. Plan is to save up to move back to wonderful Edinburgh which is a brilliant city.

the City Council started buying out shops which would be demolished to make way for the new project.

Then the recession hit and the whole thing went tits-up. Four years on, the shops are still empty and that part of the city centre is a ghost town.

A very similar thing happened in one of the main shopping areas in Sheffield, The Moor. Loads of shops shut after their leases ended and then got knocked down to make way for a new market, but the council ran out of money at that point so that part of town has been desolate for a year or 2. A couple of months ago they started work back on the market, so things are looking up.

Sheffield can be pretty shit. It's a far cry from the awesome town it was a few years ago. 2 of our more recent buildings are shockingly bad. One is nicknamed The Cheese Grater for it's appearance and the other near it somehow manages to look even worse!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/conten...s_feature.shtml

• Paid Members
Helensburgh, Scotland for me.

I took the train to Helensburgh one time thinking it would be great. Out the station and I was grabbed by the local whacky who was demanding to see my mobile phone for some reason. Honestly think he was trying to mug me. He was about 80. Very odd. Alchies and neds were all sitting next to the sea looking like they were going to top themselves. It must be even shitter in Winter. Very depressing place IMO.

• Moderators

I've had the song Shit Town by Live going around in my head thanks to this thread..

Croydon is not as shit as its reputation suggests, but it is shit. Its decent in the daytime but can fuck off for a night out. There's some good pubs and restaurants in South Croydon though.

Archived