British fans watching American wrestling

HWM

Most of us grew up watching American wrestling and I'd imagine only a lucky few have actually seen a live show in the U.S or been to WrestleMania etc.

I've realised that after being a fan of wrestling for so long that I'm probably more familiar with the names of U.S towns, venues etc than I am the ones here. Obviously the U.S cultural influence comes from far greater industries than wrestling - music, U.S sports etc but you get the picture.

Do any of you feel like you'd like to live in the U.S or do you just enjoy watching U.S wrestling from a British perspective?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

No. I know the geography of the British Isles perfectly well thanks, and I'd have no desire to move to America just because I like wrestling and NFL. That'd be like saying I want to move to Zimbabwe because Graeme Hick is my favourite cricketer.

They hardly seem to announce the towns anymore, back in the day every wrestler had their hometown announced, and Vince McMahon used to say where the programme was coming from and come up with some interesting fact about the town. I heard on RAW last week Kevin Dunn didn't want the town announced because it was "not major league enough" but Cena blew that by talking about it in a promo.

I'd say that a large proportion of my knowledge of US and Canadian towns comes from wrestling venues or wrestler's home towns.

If someone says "I live in Edmonton" I'll say "Oh, in Alberta, Canada?" I only know that because of Chris Benoit.

If someone says "I live in Edmonton" I'll say "Oh, in Alberta, Canada?" I only know that because of Chris Benoit.

And they say "No, In Enfield, London. Can you not tell by the accent?"

I'd say that a large proportion of my knowledge of US and Canadian towns comes from wrestling venues or wrestler's home towns.

Same here. Went to a quiz about a year ago and the interval round was naming the capitals of all the 50 states. Managed to get a good 25-30 by myself, and most of them I knew through wrestlers hometowns.

Wrestling is definitely responsible for my knowledge of US/Canadian geography which is pretty ridiculous. But, I get the odd question right on the chase so it is serving me well. As for wanting to move to the states or go to a show over there, I'd love to and I would likely be planning my first trip over there if I wasn't going to stay on at Uni and do a masters. I think I'd like to go and work over there for a year or something in the future, not a permanent move but I think it's something for the bucket list.

• Paid Members

And they say "No, In Enfield, London. Can you not tell by the accent?"

Edmonton is a separate town to Enfield, though.

Same here. Went to a quiz about a year ago and the interval round was naming the capitals of all the 50 states. Managed to get a good 25-30 by myself, and most of them I knew through wrestlers hometowns.

Ha, I think we're all in the same boat, i reckon Wrestling is probably responsible for my interesting in these places and travelling.

Have to mention

which also helped me in numerous pub quizzes and geography lessons over the years...

• Moderators

I think they only announce where it's from these days if the town's a big enough market. So say that they were in Fargo, ND or somewhere they wouldn't mention it, lest they look small time. However, if they're in LA or somewhere they'll beat you over the head with it.

• Paid Members
I think they only announce where it's from these days if the town's a big enough market. So say that they were in Fargo, ND or somewhere they wouldn't mention it, lest they look small time. However, if they're in LA or somewhere they'll beat you over the head with it.

Do they even bother with the smaller towns these days? I don't pay religious attention to it and only watch occasional Raws these days but I'm pretty sure they usually announce where they are - usually Chicago, New York, St Louis or so on.

Archived