What Are The Top 1PW Matches?

Ez Money

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
For anybody who knows what was the better match betweeen AJ and Pac. The 1PW match or the PWG they had at All Star Weekend 4?

I haven't seen the 1PW match but the PWG match was basically a squash with Pac getting in only about 3-4 huge moves while spending the rest of the match getting the shit kicked out of him. I enjoyed it but imagine if the 1PW match was more even it would probably have been better. There's a great bit in their PWG match where AJ dropkicks Pac and Pac somehow manages to bump onto his forehead. About 5 seconds later a giant red egg has formed on his face.

• Paid Members

I went to the first 8 shows, these are the best that I recall, for a variety of reasons. There are plenty "worth watching" but these for me were the solid gold "worth the price of admission" matches.

All Or Nothing Night One

* AJ Styles VS Samoa Joe - the first match I saw in 1PW where I thought they really went balls to the wall.

All Or Nothing Night Two

* Samoa Joe VS Rhino - at the time a first-time meeting, two bulls colliding.

* AJ Styles VS Samoa Joe VS Chris Daniels - one week before Destination X, this was action-packed and felt a big deal.

Know Your Enemy Night One

* Takeshi Morishima & Mohammed Yone VS Doug Williams & Nigel McGuinness - epic, but only if you like that sort of thing.

Fight Club

* Nigel McGuinness VS Darren Burridge - the best match on the mat they ever put on.

Know Your Enemy Night Two

* Lance Storm VS Doug Williams - a unique match, and like Lance's against Danielson at Better Than Our Best, very rewarding.

* Jody Fleisch & Jonny Storm VS AJ Styles & Chris Daniels - just superb. Definitely a peak, loads of fun.

fappery.gif

ALSO worth watching but not quite the creme de la creme for me :

* Low Ki vs Iceman at A Cruel Twist Of Fate for a lesson in taking your beating like a man.

* Raven vs The Sandman vs Tommy Dreamer from the same show is certainly not a unique nostalgia fuelled, plunder strewn brawl, but is a fun one, mostly because Dreamer had not been advertised to wrestle, and personally I get a kick out of seeing Sandy pour lager into my mate's mouth on the DVD.

* Styles/Lynn on AON Night Two is pretty good.

* The triple threat and six-way dance matches featuring young Pac on the KYE cards are fun.

* Christian vs Steve Corino on KYE Night 1 is superb for showing how to turn a partially-unexpected heel crowd reaction to your advantage.

* It's fun to see Tracy Smothers and Chris Hamrick keep up with Fleisch and Storm on KYE Night 2.

* You'll never get a more random match than Austin Aries & Roderick Strong VS Takeshi Morishima & Mohammed Yone VS Al Snow & The Blue Meanie, from the same match.

Fuck it, it's ALWAYS fun to see Tracy Smothers.

EDIT - looking back, I'm so happy Lance got that match with Williams, he was royally shafted (as we all were) over the night before where Credible no-showing denied us the advertised Impact Players vs Phenomenal Angels first round bout. Who the hell makes a transatlantic flight to team up with Andy Simmons???

On their final run of shows LDRS vs Pac and Haskins was brilliant, one of best tag matches I've ever seen live.

Can you see that anywhere though, I thought because it was the last show and the difficulties it wasn't available. I remember. They were selling the DVD of the previous night at that show.

Some of my favourite 1PW matches/moments include:

Too Cold Scorpio vs Sterling James Keenan - 1PW All Or Nothing 2006 Night 2.

Nigel McGuinness & Doug Williams vs Takeshi Morishima & Mohammed Yone - 1PW Know Your Enemy 2006 Night 1. A match I definitely appreciate a lot more watching back than I unfortunately did live.

Lance Storm vs Doug Williams - 1PW Know Your Enemy 2006 Night 2.

Nigel McGuinness vs Doug Williams - 1PW Invincible 2006.

AJ Styles vs PAC - 1PW First Year Anniversary 2006.

Nigel McGuinness vs Darren Burridge - 1PW Second Year Anniversary 2007. I still say this is the best match 1PW ever produced.

Sterling James Keenan vs Martin Stone - 1PW To The Extreme 2009 Night 1.

Nigel McGuinness vs Johnny Moss - 1PW To The Extreme 2009 Night 2.

Desmond Wolfe vs Lionheart - 1PW New Divide 2010. Last 1PW show and match I ever saw, so at least I ended on a high.

Hmmm beginning to think I may have some kind of bias....

I don't think the one your thinking of was a match spud was cutting a promo was attacked by abyss. Was either the second night of no turning back, or the second night of all or nothing 2006. Or both can't remember.

EDIT: Just remebered pretty sure it was the second night of All or Nothing when Abyss had won the title. Interrupted Spud cutting a promo and then SJK offered Spud a shot at the title.

Archived