Summer Festivals 2014

The Cum Doctor

I keep hearing this. I think alot of Islanders want it to be true lolBut even if say 7000 day tickets on each day are unsold, that's 21000, but there could still easily be 40000+ there on each day.I've heard alot of festivals in the UK ticket sales are down.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it correct in what many people are saying about the numbers this year? Keep hearing its not very busy! 20,000 - 30,000 unsold tickets still? :sneaky:

Think T in the Park have suffered in the same way, but that could also be down to an underpar lineup. Isle of Wight has genuine top drawer headline acts.

I managed to get a ticket Saturday morning, went up as soon as possible with the little ones and thought it was instantly noticeable how empty it was. Was quite nice to be honest because I think the last 4-5 years have been massively over crowded. Last night seemed to be busier, I'm guessing most people went for BON jovi who was great fun. Had a good couple of nights highlights being local Island band Ska'd For Life, who got eveyone up and skanting at the Beach. :sneaky:

• Paid Members

Last night wasn't as busy as the night before which was weird, also the standard of people was A LOT better! Bon Jovi were out of this world.EDIT: Talking about in VIP, no idea what the crowd was like outside!

Download looked pretty full, especially the saturday. Had a great time this year, despite some shoddy sound issues on the main stage. Again, particularly the saturday. Band of the weekend for me were Rammstein, simply outstanding as usual. Only slight disappointment was Korn. They weren't bad or anything, but I was watching their Rock AM Ring set and they played a load of old stuff so I choose to see them over Volbeat on that point. Then they didn't play all that stuff, but to be fair they did do No Place to Hide and 99% of the crowd dropped silent. Since I'm currently living in the midlands, we all stayed at my house and went in each day which was great, but they really need a better car park exit strategy. Apparently even as people were trying to leave monday morning it still took hours. I know it goes without saying that 100,000 people aren't just going to sail out, but there must be something they can do to improve it. There always seems to be plenty of stewards telling cars to go in at the beginning and then they all disappear when people are leaving. One thing they did do really well this year was better prepare the arena grounds for rain. Having the whole entrance bit gravelled and such, so even though there were a few heavy showers the ground was in pretty good shape all weekend.

I'll agree Download was cracking again this year, i basically got to relive my teenage years(but with more alcohol and less whining about how life's so unfair) by seeing the likes of Korn, Papa Roach, QOTSA, and Limp Bizkit, who were fantastic considering they were up against Rammstein and half the crowd fucked off within 20 minutes.Other stand out bands were for me Black Star Riders, Stone Sour and surprisingly 30 Seconds To Mars who i really expected to hate.For me though seeing Iron Maiden was probably my highlight of the weekend, lets face it when you have an RAF Spitfire fly over the arena to open the show you know it's going to be something special. And it was they were simply amazing from start to finish and apart from Limp Bizkit were the only band to whom i knew every song that they played.

On an extremely geeky side note(this is a wrestling forum after all) i should also add that i got to recreate Shawn Michaels WrestleMania XII entrance, in full HBK attire on the zipline they had set up in the arena. I was naturally ridiculed or ignored by most but one guy came up to me afterwards and insisted on a photo saying it was the best thing he'd seen all week(to be fair it was only Friday at this point) which made it all worth it.

On an extremely geeky side note(this is a wrestling forum after all) i should also add that i got to recreate Shawn Michaels WrestleMania XII entrance, in full HBK attire on the zipline they had set up in the arena. I was naturally ridiculed or ignored by most but one guy came up to me afterwards and insisted on a photo saying it was the best thing he'd seen all week(to be fair it was only Friday at this point) which made it all worth it.

I knew I wasn't seeing things/that drunk! And I'm sure I heard a Sexy Boy chant as you did.

That is brilliant! Hope you got pictures/video.

Download was indeed great again this year, even the weather was good from Saturday onwards. They are claiming an attendance of 90,000Personal highlights for me were Volbeat and Ghost, absolutely love those two bands and surely the main stage awaits them both next time. I was concerned with how Ghost would transfer to an outside setting in the sunlight, but they sounded great.The absolute highlight though was ofcourse Rammstein. Third time seeing them and they didn't disappoint. Again, wondered how it would transfer to outside having only seen them indoors prior to this, but again sounded great. We had planned to stomach 30 Seconds To Mars in order to work our way through the crowd for Rammstein. Much to our suprise, we were able to pretty much walk near to the front straight away. And the crowd just seemed dead throughout their entire set, even to the point that they were getting booed towards the end, so much so that they just fucked off as soon as their time was up. While they did play well, I think it was more the slot they were in that was the problem. If it were me booking it, I'd have done a straight swap them with Limp Bizkit, as insert_name_here mentioned that some of the crowd left after 20 minutes presumably to see RammsteinHonourable mentions to Mastodon, Alice In Chains (sucks that their slot got cut by ten minutes as they were late coming on. Had visions of Steve Harris wagging his finger in a negative fashion backstage. Same happened to Amon Amarth on Sunday, were late coming on so got cut by ten minutes, giving them a whopping 4 song/20 minute set), Motorhead, The Ghost Inside, Jimmy Eat World and Converge (who had the most ridiculous pit I've ever seen).Suprised how everyone seemed to run to the allotted times all weekend.With regards to getting out, its simply down to timing. We were packed up and ready to go at 6am to get the Skylink back to Nottingham and then another bus to Ilkeston to pick my car up to drive back to Hull. All in all, I was home at 11am which i thought was pretty good going

• Paid Members

Download looked pretty full, especially the saturday. Had a great time this year, despite some shoddy sound issues on the main stage.

my biggest pet peeve at Festival's is sound, i might be overly fussy but some people stand in places where the sound just doesn't carry and it sounds abysmal, especially if there's wind. I propped my ass up behind or to the side of the main sound tower last year and it was great there, you're dead center and the actual tower has a stack of speakers behind it (not to mention it's own big screen), unless you want to venture down to the front that's pretty much the best place to stand...and because the tower obscures the view of the stage hardly anyone stands there, it's great. All you gotta do it side-step a little and you can see the stage.

Archived