Royal Baby

KingOfMetal

So, hes only gone and done it...

Kate Middleton pregnant

cue forced patriotism from the Daily Express and public desperate outcrys of "NAME IT DIANA!"

Shes less than 12 weeks gone, but its still growing faster than the economy.

Mary, Victoria and John are the early favourite names at 8/1, while the predictable Diana is 9/1

...and can you imagine the shitstorm is she mis-carries, whose fault is that going to be?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Women get pregnant. In other news, life goes on. So they are having a baby? This is worth shunting all the news channels off kilter?

That's right Pat. You'd think this baby was going to be king or queen one day the way they're banging on about it...

• Paid Members

You'd think by the way the press go on that we are a nation obsessed with royal sorts. I don't know how typical this, but in my experience everyone I meet in real life is pretty apathetic about the royal family.

• Paid Members

While I don't bare any malice toward individual members of the Royal Family I do resent the idea that someone is considered better than me simply by virtue of birth. Having a Royal Family does fly in the face of the idea that our society is a meritocracy. Someone once said something to the effect, the current American head of state grew up with a mother on food stamps while the current British head of state grew up with a mother on postage stamps. I liked that a lot when I first heard it. It's also true.

Someone once said something to the effect, the current American head of state grew up with a mother on food stamps while the current British head of state grew up with a mother on postage stamps. I liked that a lot when I first heard it. It's also true.

Except it's not. The Queen Mother was never the monarch. The present Queen's dad would've been on the stamps.

• Paid Members

I actually fact checked both statements.

The Queen's mother was on postage stamps. See below for instance. It's her on a stamp. I don't know how many stamps she was on but she was on at least one. The Queen's father would, of course, have been on more stamps.

stamo.jpg

Also, here's Barry Barack talking about his mother and food stamps.

I think the Jubilee scenes, viewing figures etc show that there are a vast amount of people who do like the Royals and everything that goes along with it. Certainly enough to warrant lots of coverage of a big news story like this.

Can't argue with that. Gimps, one and all, though. The idea of getting so vicariously excited about some posho you've never met achieving something as massive as getting married, getting pregnant or just being around a long time suggests to me a lack of much else in a person's life.

I'm not a patriotic type at all normally, but have to say the Olympics and Paralympics, celebrating people from a variety of backgrounds who've become the best in the world at something through dedication and sacrifice, appealed to whatever latent national pride I have a lot more than the celebrations of a family who are only really good at breeding.

I actually fact checked both statements.

The Queen's mother was on postage stamps. See below for instance. It's her on a stamp. The Queen's father would, of course, have been on more stamps.

Well blow me down. Fair play.

That said, the fact that the US treats its poor with the indignity of food stamps does kind of show that having a non-hereditary head of state doesn't lead to equality, even in a nation that's preached that ideal for centuries (plus about 150 other countries, most of whom only moved in that direction more recently).

• Paid Members

The US is far from perfect and does have massive inequality, which has been made worse by the current financial crisis, that said there is something very admirable about a society where you can go from the bottom to the very top. You can't do that in our society. In Britain, to use a cliched concept, there is a glass ceiling that you cannot crack.

Archived