Wrestling Pod Casts / Radio Interviews

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

• Paid Members

If Sting had beat Hogan as we all imagined he would have (came in squashed him, beat up all the nWo, won the title etc.), would it have really made a difference in the end? Sting was always the bridesmaid at the wedding. The fact he got so politicially done tells you all you need to no. It's obviously a massively selfish thing for Hogan to do, but the reality of it to me has always been that Sting wasnt up to carrying the ball.

Goldberg, now there's another discussion all together. The way they fucked him up was what killed them for me. But Sting looking like an idiot in his crowning glory didnt mean to much in the grand scheme of things. Once Tyson and Austin did that angle the next month, Sting wasnt going to make much of a difference.

I recently rewatched Halloween Havoc 98 for the first time in twenty years and listened to the 83 Weeks Podcast on the same subject. I think a lot of people ignore this event as being a big factor in WCW's downfall. Not only was there a Hogan and Warrior rematch that was simply terrible but the main event of DDP and Goldberg cut out for a lot of cable providers in America part way through the match. The show had a really good buyrate but that was a lot of paying customers that WCW must have annoyed right there. I don't think they ever really recovered from this.

• Paid Members

The funny thing is they aired DDP/Goldberg on Nitro and did a massive number. Pretty sure that was their last ever win in the Monday Night War. For that reason, I don't think I'd agree that this show was a tipping point. it's culpable but business was still strong. then the finger poke of doom happened and things didn't suddenly drop off. Then they turned Flair and Hogan and things didn't immediately dip. Then they gave Nash the book, he presented his version of pro-wrestling reality TV and the crimes they'd committed ever since Starrcade 1997 came back to bite them very quickly. Shows like Havoc 98 must have run through the minds of fans who thought "Na, fuck this".

Just a heads up for everybody, but we're recording the SCG Radio Christmas Show this week, and will be doing the "Great UKFF Survey" that @tiger_rick posted a few months ago.

We also looking for any questions or topics you'd like to suggest for discussion, and are doing a contest to win a signed copy of my book on Brian Pillman (What do you believe the 'G' in G. John Chase stands for? Your suggestions to my inbox or at www.facebook.com/scgradio for a chance to win).

So yeah, any questions for the show, shoot them to my inbox....

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

My Spidey-sense is tingling. Wh....

2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Wrestle Me are doing the 1992 Royal Rumble at the moment. It’ll make you want to watch it!

.... ah.

• Paid Members
On 12/16/2018 at 5:54 PM, Liam O'Rourke said:

Just a heads up for everybody, but we're recording the SCG Radio Christmas Show this week, and will be doing the "Great UKFF Survey" that @tiger_rick posted a few months ago.

We also looking for any questions or topics you'd like to suggest for discussion, and are doing a contest to win a signed copy of my book on Brian Pillman (What do you believe the 'G' in G. John Chase stands for? Your suggestions to my inbox or at www.facebook.com/scgradio for a chance to win).

So yeah, any questions for the show, shoot them to my inbox....

Hey fella, your inbox is full so I'll leave the question here. Hopefully I'm not too late!

The 'G' in John Chase stands for 'gender neutral'. I feel he's a very progressive lad, our John.

Also, two quick questions; what are your predictions for Wrestle Kingdom? And, if Kota Ibushi goes through his whole career without lifting a major singles championship (for NJPW or elsewhere) would he be classed as the most underrated wrestler of the modern age?

Anyways, thanks for all the shows! 

Yep, if you want something fun to listen to while you wrap today...

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/download/b2s9dh/SCG_Radio_144_-_The_2018_Christmas_Show.mp3

Join us for the 2018 SCG Radio Christmas Show! In our annual free format spectacular we're taking your mailbag questions, taking The Great UKFF Survey, as well as announcing the winner of our giveaway for a copy of my biography on "Crazy Like A Fox - The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later". On the show we're talking all about favourite wrestlers, matches and promos, moments we loved and hated wrestling the most, favourite shows we've attended, as well as talking WrestleKingdom on January 4th, modern WWE, cheesiest use of music in WWF history, the new XFL, Marty Jannetty's ankle, the movies we're looking forward to the most next year, All Elite Wrestling, WCW's last chance and much, much more. A fun show, if you want something to wrap your gifts to - check it out, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Steve Austin is on a break from his show so they're uploading classic episodes at the moment. Listend to the Daniel Bryan one which is pretty good. Not sure when it was from other than obviously pre-injury. It's a bit surreal listening to him talk about what good shape he was in and how he'd hardly ever been injured knowing he'd retire a year or so later.

Also listened to the William Regal one they reuploaded. Fuck me, it's great. The only shame is that it's only about 40 minutes long because I could listen to Regal talk wrestling for literally years before I got fed up. Recommend any other good Regal interviews?