Rumble 2013

PSF

The last couple of years the Rumble winner has been a Smackdown guy, an upper card guy getting a slight push towards the top. For that reason, I think Wade Barrett wins the Rumble to set up the Smackdown title match, and WWE find a more creative way to set up matches involving the WWE title/main events involving Rock/Cena/Punk/Lesnar/HHH/Undertaker.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Edge, Del Rio and Sheamus have all chosen to challenge the respective titles they challenged for after winning the last three Rumbles in fairly forgettable (obviously) segments on Raw.

Admittedly, nothing they could ever do in that respect could top Big Dave making his choice then powerbombing Tripper through a table. That was powerful.

Still going against the grain and thinking along my HIAC prediction lines.

Come the Rumble there's a backstage clash between Rock and Cena, Punk beats Rock (more likely by help than clean) and Rock decides if he's not going to be in the championship match at Mania, neither's Cena, costing him his chance to win the Rumble later on. Which is won by Ryback.

Punk can no longer duck the inevitable one on one, with Vince writing down a sequence of match stipulations impossible for Punk to wrangle out of (belt changing hands on a DQ, handpicked referee, Heyman banned from ringside etc) and Ryback pins Punk clean at Mania, starting his first big win. Even after two straight PPV losses the guy's still over, they can get him to the Rumble while remaining this hot.

Meanwhile Rock and Cena lead up to round 2 of their confrontation, Taker gets a year off, and Ziggler cashes in at Mania.

• Paid Members

Problem is they heavily hyped up Rock/Cena last year as "once in a lifetime." It has to be for the title to give them an excuse to do it again, Cena winning the Rumble giving him the right to choose to wrestle Rock as WWE Champion, whether they wanted the match to happen or not. If they care about looking like tossers for using "it's only happening once" as a selling point for last time, then reneging on it.

Which they probably don't, now that I think about it.

Problem is they heavily hyped up Rock/Cena last year as "once in a lifetime." It has to be for the title to give them an excuse to do it again, Cena winning the Rumble giving him the right to choose to wrestle Rock as WWE Champion, whether they wanted the match to happen or not. If they care about looking like tossers for using "it's only happening once" as a selling point for last time, then reneging on it.

Didn't they do that with Rock/Hogan?

Neither of their matches had the belt as well.

I honestly can't see the Rock having another WWE title run, purely due to the fact that he won't be able to commit to appearing consistently at house shows or TV tapings. Either he'll lose to Punk one-on-one at the Royal Rumble, or he'll enter the Rumble match and be eliminated (most likely by Cena!).

I think Ziggler will cash in his MITB contract before Royal Rumble, and we'll see Ziggler vs. Big Show for the World Title at the Rumble, possibly setting up for Ziggler vs. Sheamus vs. Big Show at Mania

IMO either Cena or Ryback to win the Rumble and go on to defeat Punk at Mania

I definitely think The Rock will win the WWE title. It'll score huge publicity, The Rock's a major Hollywood star now in addition to being one of pro wrestling's all time greats. It'll attract press like Arquette's WCW title win, only it won't have the negative connotation because The Rock has credibility. G.I Joe comes out in the middle of Wrestlemania season, Rock can saunter onto Jay Leno and Jimmy Kimmel promoting the movie and Mania simultaneously, with the WWE title on his shoulder. If WWE set up a good co-promotion deal, this can be beneficial for all parties involved.

And what an amazing argument against my point. Please elaborate rather than just spouting bollocks.

I am of the opinion that Ryback is nowhere near ready to be main eventing Wrestlemania. He's not that over, he's not that great in the ring, and I certainly wouldn't have him to be the one to beat Punk at Mania for the belt. I don't think it'd solidify him as a bona fide main event, and to be honest I think it'd be a very weak main event.

• Paid Members

Logically, you want Cena to be as strong looking as he can possibly be when facing The Rock at 'Mania, seeing as that is THE draw for 'Mania. So in that regard you'd have to think Cena will win the Rumble, seeing as he's been shafted out of big title wins all year (in fact, Cena's last notable win was probably against Lesnar, on a PPV nobody watched).

• Paid Members

Didn't they do that with Rock/Hogan?

Neither of their matches had the belt as well.

I'm pretty sure that was just billed as ICON -vs- ICON.

I honestly can't see the Rock having another WWE title run, purely due to the fact that he won't be able to commit to appearing consistently at house shows or TV tapings.

As other people have said, this wouldn't stop them, but I'd also like to put forward the Hulk Hogan title run in 1993. He walked out of WrestleMania with it, having not even been in the scheduled title match. Then we didn't see him on TV (expect for pre-recorded interviews) until he dropped the belt to Yokozuna at King of the Ring 2 months later. Now I'm not sure what he did house show wise, but I suspect not a lot would be the answer since he was filming Thunder In Paradise at the time.

Archived