Jump to content
Chest Rockwell

UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Really Big Shoe said:

the Louis Theroux Weird Weekend rap where he meets up with Master P is another favourite. Especially Louis rapping. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

The best documentary I've seen on hip hop is Welcome to Death Row. It's one I can watch repeatedly and never get bored of. Haunting stuff 

I had this debate the other night with a mate regarding an old feud; Canibus and LL Cool J.  

Just wondering what the opinions of you fine mob are on the subject? I'm purely in the LL won camp but my mate maintains Canibus slaughtered LL. 

Canibus chopped his own bollocks on 2nd Round KO with the Freudian slip pertaining to eating bum, in my opinion. No coming back from that. 

The greatest diss song of all time is 2nd Round KO. Canibus destroyed him...Branquey, have a word with yourself... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really think 2nd Round KO is overrated. Its on me gym playlist an it pops on quite frequently these days. He trips himself up a lot, is phonetically all over the place, with stumbling over words while getting overexcited, Gammons. Have another listen and tell me he doesn't goose himself with the "Eat an ass like me, line". I do be in the middle of something and that line does have me going "Ah Jaysus, no..." 

I think Ripper Strikes Back is better, purely for the "99% of your fans don't exist" line and it's a bit smarter and more aggressive. But in saying that, my favourite diss tracks of all time are Can-I-Bitch by Eminem and Supa Ugly by Jay Z. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I really think 2nd Round KO is overrated. Its on me gym playlist an it pops on quite frequently these days. He trips himself up a lot, is phonetically all over the place, with stumbling over words while getting overexcited, Gammons. Have another listen and tell me he doesn't goose himself with the "Eat an ass like me, line". I do be in the middle of something and that line does have me going "Ah Jaysus, no..." 

I think Ripper Strikes Back is better, purely for the "99% of your fans don't exist" line and it's a bit smarter and more aggressive. But in saying that, my favourite diss tracks of all time are Can-I-Bitch by Eminem and Supa Ugly by Jay Z. 

 

I am an unashamed Canibus stan,and for me it was more the fact that he could've left it after LL's absolute "bitch move", but he was confident enough to take on one of the greatest, and took it back to the battle/diss days which a lot of guys weren't doing. Ripper Strikes Back is good, but I love 2nd Round KO...And anyway, as a fan of the old analingus,you should love the "eat an ass" line :)

Agreed on Supa Ugly. Brutal, to the point where Jay's mum asked him to apologise right? Nas is my favourite MC of all time, but Jay Z won that battle. Ether is incredibly overrated, very basic and not clever at all and The Takeover is the best song out of that series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fe

10 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

And anyway, as a fan of the old analingus,you should love the "eat an ass" line :)

Agreed on Supa Ugly. Brutal, to the point where Jay's mum asked him to apologise right? Nas is my favourite MC of all time, but Jay Z won that battle. Ether is incredibly overrated, very basic and not clever at all and The Takeover is the best song out of that series.

Touché, sir. Although a dose of gastroenteritis over Christmas 2015 put the brakes on my fascination with that particular act for a good year or so...

100% agree on Ether. It's remedial, childish and just 4 minutes of gay jokes, nonsense and homophobic puns. Awful stuff. Takeover was a cracker and Supa Ugly went down to Nas' level, did it ten times better and ruined him. I've never understood how people say Nas won that war.

 

51 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Either of you been following the back and forth with Pusha T and Drake? Pretty entertaining stuff. From Push, at least, anyway.

I have, and it's been quite interesting and - as you said - entertaining, given that these days beefs aren't what they used to be. Apparently Drake has been asked to hold off releasing a track that will absolutely rinse Pusha T and Kanye. I'd fucking love to hear that as he hasn't contributed much by way of smarts thus far, anyway.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has Drake got it in him to fire back with anything hard enough, especially after that Adidon track Pusha put out the other week? That was pretty savage. I bet Pusha's got more stuff up his sleeve as well. He's been around too long, he's not going to have played his full hand yet. 

And yeah, I'm a huge fan of Nas, much more a Nas man than Jay Z, but I've always thought Ether was overrated. A lot of the lyrics aren't the best, the hook is boring and I don't like the beat. It's just never done it for me. 

Nas' new Kanye produced album drops this Friday by the way. It's only 7 tracks long like the Kanye and Pusha T ones that just came out. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone listened to the new Nas album 'Nasir' yet? Had a quick look about this morning before work and couldn't find it. And seen loads of people on twitter complaining it's not on iTunes, Spotify or anything yet. Anyone know what the crack is? 

Edit - forget this, it's a day late but it's finally up on iTunes! 

Edited by wandshogun09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Anyone listened to the new Nas album 'Nasir' yet? Had a quick look about this morning before work and couldn't find it. And seen loads of people on twitter complaining it's not on iTunes, Spotify or anything yet. Anyone know what the crack is? 

Edit - forget this, it's a day late but it's finally up on iTunes! 

Yeah, listened this morning. I'm liking it! 'Everything' is the standout track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. That was terrible. Really enjoying this series of Kanye-affiliate short albums. Daytona is excellent. New Apollo Brown album just dropped that's real solid.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I was going to mention that Apollo & Locksmith album. Really liked that. 

Still haven't got around to the Nas album yet. I want to wait until I can properly sit back and give it a proper listen. I've heard very mixed reviews so far. 

Oh and this is a bit left field. I'm not usually a fan of Rick Ross but I'm digging this track he's done with Smif N Wessun. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally listened to Nas. I liked it. Standouts for me were 'Everything', 'Adam and Eve' and 'Not For Radio'. Nothing blew me away but I really enjoyed it on the whole. 

A lot of the criticism seems to be from people who were expecting him to top the Illmatic and It Was Written albums, which were both absolute classics. He's kind of always going to be a victim of his own success with that back catalogue. Like Wu-Tang with 36 Chambers, they've never been close to bettering that since. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...