UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Not heard it yet but the new Snowgoons produced Onyx album will likely be pretty hard?

EDIT: Also, for London or Bristol peeps, Apathy & Celph Titled are playing in your towns in April (I think) you jammy gits.

Edited by Dead Mike

I'd given up thinking there would be another Onyx album, a bit like Deltron it feels like forever, that I've been waiting for Black Rock to drop. So thanks for pointing that one out Mike. I've given it a quick listen, I like it. From what I can remember of Bacdafucup Part 2, it's probably around the same level of that, not as good as their first 3 albums though, but hell after this long any Onyx stuff will do me. I noticed Seeza wasn't on the album, I hope he is still involved with the group. I know he did a solo album a few years ago. They're far better together.

Gibbs & Madlib, will have to check that one out too.

• Moderators

I haven't heard that. Got a link son?

Danny Brown is pretty interesting overall to me. I really like the way he raps - changing on the tone of voice I think is really unique and actually elicits emotion in what he's saying rather than just words. I think he can put together lyrics that are funny/over the top/serious in about the best combination there is.

However, there is this flip side to him which I think he struggles with too. He's got this success basically on the back of being the "Adderall Admiral" and all the whole "DO MOLLY" shit, and so I think there's this pressure for him to just keep on being the party guy. I think his album Old was a really good example of that. Half of it was him rapping about his life and him putting over that getting fucked up isn't a party thing but something he feels he has to do because he's fucked up, but then the second half was all "I'm a party monster" stuff.

I'm curious to see where he goes. Is he just gonna stick to talking about molly or is he gonna go against the masses who want to hear that shit.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Currently I have been enjoying these hip hop records:

MF DOOM - Mm.. Food (holy shit does this album sound amazing)

A$AP Ferg - Trap Lord

Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels

Pusha T - My Name Is My Name

Earl Sweatshirt - Doris

Thanks for reading my list.

I just can't get into Pusha T but the rest you've posted are all class.

So Grime is apparently making a big return after a single

made it to number 13 in the charts, it's weird seeing all the typically white music reporters going mad over the genre again and it's just as cringeworthy as it was back in 04.

• Paid Members
Anyone listened to 100s?

Not that much of a hip-hop head, but I've played 'In The Life Of A Mack' to death over the past few months by 100s. Heard it in GTAV. Will have to check out those links.

So Grime is apparently making a big return after a single
made it to number 13 in the charts, it's weird seeing all the typically white music reporters going mad over the genre again and it's just as cringeworthy as it was back in 04.

Hated grime, and that rapping sounded shit. Take that rap away and you had a half-decent bit of Trap. The music in that track wasn't like grime as I remember it. Do like a bit of Trap at the moment, me.

Edited by PunkStep

On the subject of grime, I was using the Flow function on Deezer. It takes some of your songs you've favourited and mixes them with similar songs or songs it thinks you may like. On comes Off The Wall era Michael Jackson, some soul song, a Wilson Pickett song...BAM! 96 Fuckries by JME. I'd forgotten it had been favourited. No regrets. None at all.