UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

Marco Polo - Newport Authority 2

Free mixtape download. I've not actually listened to it yet, but he is a damn good producer and there are some great rappers on this - Big Daddy Kane, Lil Fame, Rakim, Large Pro... Can't see it being bad!

If you've never heard Marco Polo before, his debut "Port Authority" album was fantastic. Here's a couple cuts -

Cheers for bringing this to my attention. I've only really skimmed the surface of hip hop, but the names on the new album drew my attention. I've been bumming the hell out of Deezer and downloaded Port Authority to listen to and it's good. He does seem a really good producer. I'll probably work through some more of the recommendations in this thread later. Already downloaded the Ghostface Killah album.

• Moderators

I heard two songs (singles?) off it on the radio and they were awful. Like, I've never been the biggest fan of his music but I can recognise his talent..

But these were seriously embarassingly bad. Awful production. Also, the poster I saw for it on the tube is hella lame. I have zero interest in listening to the album.

edit: Oh - didn't know there was a new Format album, Mike. Cheers for the heads up!

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I'm with you on the production front. None of the singles have stood out at all or have naff choruses. Some of the songs have generic production - the one with Rihanna stands out to me especially. I do like Eminem, but there seems to be a gulf in class between the first Marshall Mathers LP and the second. So far, I'd take any of the first three over this one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Didn't know whether this belonged here or in the food & drink thread tbh....

You know when you're enjoying a cooking programme on the telly but then you think 'This would be miles better if Rick Stein was a better rapper & was smoking weed throughout the filming'.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

To celebrate the 25th anniversay (fuck I'm old!) of '3 Feet High & Rising' De La Soul are making their entire back catalogue available to download for free from their official site for 25 hours from today. Nice little gift for your Ipod right there!

• Paid Members
Gigwise, I am looking forward to Black Star at the end of March.

Only playing London too which is a real kick in the spuds for me. Talib Kweli is one of the best I've seen live & I'd love to see Mos Def. Really jealous of that one Chest.

• 2 weeks later...
I remember a little while back we were discussing concept albums in hip hop. Has anyone listened to the new Ghostface album?

Here it is in full -

I've only given it a couple listens so far, but I'm rather enjoying it. The music has a very "soundtracky" feel, and the tracks all tell a part of the story (as opposed to a lot of other so-called concept albums in hip hop that rely on the skits to tell the story and then the tracks have nothing to do with the idea).

Sure, they kind of hit you over the head with the story a bit and it's all rpetty obvious, but it's nicely done.

I'm a huge fan of Ghostface, but his output is certainly patchy. One of my absolute favourites when he's on form though and he is here.

It's a short album at just under 40 minutes and there's no filler. Well worth your time to give it a listen.

Late as fuck replying to this, I'm terrible these days at keeping up with music. I've been listening to this for the last couple of weeks, at first I thought it was just decent, but it's grown on me and now I love it. I'm always going to see A Prince Among Thieves as the best in terms of concept albums. Ghostface, who is also one of my fav's has also set his own bar very high with things like Ironman and the appropriately titled Supreme Clientele, because it really is. So with all that, I can't say it's on those levels, but it's still damn good.

Some stand out tracks for me are, Rise of the Black Suits, Blood On the Cobblestones and Revenge Is Sweet. I've lost track of Ghostface the last couple of years, so maybe this was his return to form, although it would be hard to maintain such high output.

I've listened to Deltron 3030 Event 2. I was disappointed with it, but I guess it's because I've been foaming at the mouth for it for years, plus the first one was just a surprise out of nowhere to me. It will probably be another one that grows on me though.

I will have to go through this thread and see what people have been suggesting.

I've been listening to Formulatin' Fathers - Sleepless Knights, came out around mid 00's I think, even though tracks sound older than that. It's another concept album, don't think it does a good job at telling the story as some of the others I've mentioned in this post, but it's still decent.

Some tracks;

Formulatin' Fathers - Brighten up the Son

Formulatin' Fathers - Eyes Like Blue Skies