UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

I only got round to listening to that record for the first time about a month ago and it's brilliant. The only thing I'd heard of his was MM.. FOOD years back when it first came out and I didn't really like it so never bothered with him again but after hearing his album he made with Bishop Nehru and the production on Nehru's record (which is ace btw) I decided to give it ago.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Madvillian is pretty much perfect but King Geedorah is my fav project, I'd kill for a follow-up to Take Me To Your Leader.

Can't argue with that choice. You ever heard the monster island czars album? It's shit. But the track MIC Line is awesome. DOOM produced and he's the only one rapping on it.

• Paid Members

Eminem's new album 'Kamikaze' came out today. Didn't even know it was due. Anyone listened to it yet?

I'm not the biggest fan of his, although I like some of his earlier stuff, but are there any standout tracks worth checking? I've heard he's had a pop at loads of fuckers, including Drake who seems to be getting it from all angles these last few months :D  

• 2 weeks later...

DJ Shadow stood in for Giles Peterson the other week on his BBC 6Music Saturday afternoon show. Well worth checking out on the iPlayer Radio app. Three hour show with loads of great underground stuff I’ve never heard of as well as some really rare choice cuts from funk and soul collection. 

He also has a podcast called ‘Find, Share, Rewind’ which is really good. It was originally a college radio show he did last year that’s been released in podcast form. Tons of brilliant obscure stuff from a master of the game. 

Edited by wordsfromlee

• Moderators

So I am very excited to see Planet Asia is going to be in London in a couple weeks at the Jazz Cafe. I first heard him way back on Peanut Butter Wolf's My Vinyl Weighs a Ton album, and he has been putting out EPs, mixtapes and albums steadily ever since. He's probably the best he's ever been at the moment - particularly his recent albums with Muggs and Apollo Brown. When he's paired with a great producer like that he really shines.

Also I see Rasco is playing in London a few days later so I wonder if there's any chance of an impromptu Cali Agents reunion? If it does happen hopefully it doesn't happen at the Rasco show in Brixton because I'm not going to that...

Anyway, I'm rolling dolo to the Planet Asia show so if anyone on here is also planning to attend give me a shout. @SuperBacon?

Unrelated, my mate turned me on to Knowledge The Pirate's album Flintlock. He is a guy who features on most of Roc Marciano's projects and is always decent. The album is really good - well worth a listen. Here is a track from it.

@Chest Rockwell I wasn't planning to as I didn't know about it, but might just do. I'll have to get the night off work, but I'll see what I can do. Support from Klashnekoff as wel!!! I loved Anchovies, and you're right, he's on the form of his life.

I remember buying Rasco's The Birth in Mr Bongos back when I was a 15 year old baggy panted b-boy as Tony Vegas, of Scratch Perverts fame, told me that "Rasco and Planet Asia are fucking dope" and I was so scared, I handed over my pocket money without ever having heard either of them. It was a decent EP as far as I can remember.

Hmmm, 1998 is old school now is it? Anyway, DJ Premier is one of the all time greats obviously, and whilst he got a bit Preem-by-numbers-horns-sample-keyboard-stab-scratched-chorus in the 2000's, he has created so many beautiful things, he gets a pass always.